Thread Rating:
Replays
The FA are looking at scrapping FA Cup replays and turning the competition into a mid-week cup competition to trim down the amount of fixtures because 'certain' Premier League teams are moaning about fixture congestion which damages there chances in Europe. Also the FA are concerned that teams are playing too many games and then it leaves the National team tired for Summer tournaments such as Euro and the World Cup. 

They also want to make alterations to the Football League Cup as well by scrapping the 2nd leg at the Semi-final stage. Now I don't think Premier League clubs have to be in the Football League Cup there just included in it by the FA.

Now my opinion on this is I think its wrong because FA Cup replays are vital to certain clubs in the lower leagues and even non-league as its a financial boost also If you are drawn away to a Premier League club and get a draw you can then play them in the replay at your own ground and probably have more of a chance of progressing to the next round in the competition.

If you played the FA Cup mid-week at night then attendances at the matches wouldn't be as high as they would on a Saturday-Sunday and also young supporters would miss out also. How long then before the FA Cup ceases to exist?

One thing I think they should do is go back to playing the semi-finals on a neutral ground such as Old Trafford, Hillsborough etc as it would give teams the incentive of playing at Wembley because I think the semi-finals at Wembley spoil it.

If they went back to the old way of the European cup of having the two legged rounds instead of the group stages etc it could be better but then teams would miss out on the revenue from tickets and TV etc and then they would complain if they got knocked out early but on the plus side you could have more European teams in the competition.

I don't think you can blame the failure of the English National team on fixture congestion though because that's to do with lack of funding at grassroots level and possibly standard of coaching and home grown players aren't being developed like they are in Germany and Spain and English teams end up buying from abroad as they want a quick fix to win trophies which has a negative effect on the National teams in the long term. 

The Premier League is good for the teams and the people who are in it but I don't think its good for English football in the long term as they are always wanting things changed to suit them which would have a knock on effect for the rest of the 72 Football League teams and even non-league. The Premier League has created a divide and arguments over parachute payments for teams below the division but nearly every club in the Championship wants to be there because of the revenue they will get from ticket sales, merchandise, TV and parachute payments. A team would receive a good pay day even if they only lasted a season but clubs in the Championship complain that the parachute payments are unfair to the other 21 teams as the teams who receive the parachute payments can use the money to try and bounce straight back in the league the season after and they do have a point because Hull and Burnley are right near the top this season and without parachute payments they would probably be nowhere near there.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Replays - by spireitematt - 17-02-2016, 04:25
RE: Replays - by Lord Snooty - 17-02-2016, 20:34
RE: Replays - by themaclad - 17-02-2016, 20:46
RE: Replays - by spireitematt - 17-02-2016, 21:58
RE: Replays - by themaclad - 17-02-2016, 23:48
RE: Replays - by St Charles Owl - 18-02-2016, 21:34
RE: Replays - by Lord Snooty - 21-02-2016, 09:46
RE: Replays - by St Charles Owl - 21-02-2016, 17:11