Thread Rating:
Birmingham & Blackburn vs WBA - Match Thread
Im beginning to think the shine is starting to come off the carlos wagon? He has worked wonders given his record since taking over but just a few weeks ago
we had the 3rd equal best form in the division and whilst middlesborough have continued in that vein we've started dropping points and the winning streak is now more of a sporadic one
The top 5 and Norwich in 9th all have better form whilst we are now on a par with millwall in 7th W2 L2 D1 and the 3 teams below us. Blackburn and Watford in 6th and 8th have dropped off equally with 1L 4D But as we failed to beat Blackburn last night at home I fear we won't get much out of Watford either. Then we face the one team who are imo going up either automatically or as play off winners Boro are truly revitalised and cruising.If we get 1 pt out of these 2 I wouldn't be at all surprised. We are 10th and have similar form to that of last season where we finished erm 10th which was considered to be a surprising disappointment given our status at the time as immediate premier league returners. I think 10th may be more or less where we finish again this year. CC has done incredibly well given what he inherited and things would could have been far worse under Bruce. If by some miracle we make the playoffs and actually get promoted with this squad we are destined for a hammering in the premier and CC who has no PL experience would be sacked and the whole debacle of relegation would be in full swing again. I think were best off remaining in the championship however the finances may prove fatal in that potential scenario. Yes I'm a pessimist by nature but so often I'm right to be that way. prove me wrong Albion just this once
I haven’t seen the last few games, particularly since Albrighton joined. However, I get the impression that we have moved Wallace out of his seemingly best position on the right and into a more central role in order to accommodate MA. Again, from what I gather this isn’t really working and the main impact is to lessen Wallace’s effectiveness.

If that is the case, how do you feel about not only restoring Wallace to his original role (which would mean benching Albrighton) but also playing both Dike and BTA together. This would mean only four in midfield but if those four were Yokuslu, Chalobah, Swift and Wallace, that seems a pretty strong quartet. We just don’t seem to be getting the best out of Dike, so I just wondered if we had Wallace providing those brilliant crosses and BTA alongside him. We might be more productive.

Of course, only four in midfield would likely put extra pressure on the defence but perhaps worth a try?
The light at the end of the tunnel is the light of an oncoming train
(16-02-2023, 15:51)BaggieSteve Wrote: I haven’t seen the last few games, particularly since Albrighton joined. However, I get the impression that we have moved Wallace out of his seemingly best position on the right and into a more central role in order to accommodate MA. Again, from what I gather this isn’t really working and the main impact is to lessen Wallace’s effectiveness.

If that is the case, how do you feel about not only restoring Wallace to his original role (which would mean benching Albrighton) but also playing both Dike and BTA together. This would mean only four in midfield but if those four were Yokuslu, Chalobah, Swift and Wallace, that seems a pretty strong quartet. We just don’t seem to be getting the best out of Dike, so I just wondered if we had Wallace providing those brilliant crosses and BTA alongside him. We might be more productive.

Of course, only four in midfield would likely put extra pressure on the defence but perhaps worth a try?

Regarding Wallace, that was the case in the Coventry and Blues games. Yesterday he was restored to the right and Albrighton played on the left, with Grady dropped and Swift restored to in the hole.

To be fair to Albrighton, he played well against Coventry, putting a lot of good balls in. Yesterday on the left, he was ineffective.

So from early viewings it does seem like it has to be either Wallace or Albrighton rather than both. Neither seem particularly suited to other roles except right winger.

I do like your suggestion of BTA and Dike playing together. They have different strengths and could feed off each other. We saw it briefly when chasing the game against Blues, but would be nice to see it in normal circumstances. It would combat the problem of our striker being isolated and we might even see more of Swift coming from the left and cutting onto his right foot.
(16-02-2023, 15:51)BaggieSteve Wrote: I get the impression that we have moved Wallace out of his seemingly best position on the right and into a more central role in order to accommodate MA. Again, from what I gather this isn’t really working and the main impact is to lessen Wallace’s effectiveness.

My thoughts exactly our downturn seems to match the apparent loss of form from Wallace, which I think is because he is out of his natural position. Furlong and Wallace out on the right were building a great understanding, I know its not a popular view but I think the same about Diangana, he is an out and out left winger and one of the best in the league, but we insist on playing him cutting in or in a more central position. I think our problem is we have to many players with the same best position. For me it would be Diang and Townsend behind him both bombing up the left, Wallace and Furlong doing the same on the right, that would be scary for the opposition as they would not know where the attacks were going to from, it would also drag opposition midfielders out to the wings to cope with them leaving the centre more free for the likes of Swift and Rogic to show their stuff.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »