Thread Rating:
Middlesbrough @Deepdale 9/8/2015
An easy start to life in the Championship with the visit on Play off runner up Boro. their game at Wembley the day after our victory did not go as planned with a two goal defeat against Norwich.
Having bought Stewart Downing during the close season there are rumours they have made a bid for Jordan Rhodes from the plastics, a bid reported to be in the region of £14 million. Slightly bigger than the fee we paid for Cunnngham from Bristol City.
They have also brought in Stephens on loan from Southampton his last game for Swindon last season was a losing play off final against us . Tomlin has been sold to Bournemouth for £3 million. They have lost loan signing Bamford and their only problems seem to be that they lack a prolific goalscorer hence the bid for Rhodes.
Worryingly in 46 years of watching North End, I have never seen us beat them, and the only time we did beat them was 1-0 at the old Ayresome Park ground in an FA Cup tie with Ronnie Hildersley scoring the winner.
As far as I know Callum Woods has a hamstring injury and Beckford has not played for two weeks which is worrying. Expect most of last years line up to play with Cunnigham and Pickford playing and a possible place on the bench for Keane.
Boro are a seriously good side, personal view a point is a good result, it's all on Sky kick off 12.00pm on Sunday, Boro have sold their allocation of 3000 and it is bound to be a great atmosphere. Tough game as it is this is far superior to being in League 1.
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Tough opening game but at least its at home so will get the town interested and hopefully turning out in good numbers! This season for you is about enjoying the ride and hoping to avoid relegation, losing to a side like Boro will be no disgrace and whatever the outcome this game is unlikely to decide your season, games against the bottom half will do that. I really hope you survive, I think Rotherham, Charlton, MK Dons, Huddersfield and maybe Bolton will be down there come the end, lets hope they all finish below you!! Good luck!!
I'll be happy to finish 21st

One down 45 to go and a decent one to start with, although there were no goals this was an entertaining reintroduction to life in the Championship. On a humid Sunday afternoon in front of 15974 fans North End and Middlesbrough fought out a very competitive game.
Given the standard of opposition today this was a good North End performance which if they had taken their chances they maybe could have won.
Two early chances in the first 10 minutes should really have led to two goals, first Wright should have buried a heady from a corner and for Boro Leadbetter got into a great position after a one two before failing to hit the target.
Boro dominated the early stages and a mazy run from full back Friend was only stopped by a great tackle by Wright. As with a lot of games last season North End grew into the game after about 20 minutes and had a great chance to score however Keane's shot was cleared from the line by Friend, in the follow up Garner's shot was blocked by keepers Konstantopoulos's chest and there were solid claims for a penalty as Garner was wrestled to the ground by Friend.
The second half was shaded by Boro they made the ball and North End work and started to be more of a threat, two headers from Ayala went harmlessly wide, however the pace of Adomah caused problems but Boro lacked a real goalscorer so much so that North End keeper Pickford didn't have a shot to save. As the game became stretched in the latter stages Adomah had a shot blocked by two North Enders whilst Garner should have buried a header right at the end, maybe a bit harsh but could possible have sneaked all three points with better finishing but cannot really complain about the performance they put in a really good shift.
Out of the newcomers Cunningham and Keane played well, Vermijl looked steady although his hospital pass got Clarke a booking and Pickford did not really have a lot to do. Boro's young centre back Fry played well and they are hard to break down and will be tough to beat, all in all a satisfying result.

Preston North End 0 Middlesbrough 0 Att 15974

PNE: Jordan Pickford, Marnick Vermijl (Humphrey), Greg Cunningham, Tom Clarke ©, Paul Huntington, Bailey Wright, John Welsh,Daniel Johnson, Paul Gallagher, Joe Garner, Will Keane (Hugill)

Subs: Steve James, Chris Humphrey, Neil Kilkenny, Calum Woods, Alan Browne, Josh Brownhill, Jordan Hugill.

MIDDLESBROUGH: Dimi Konstantopoulos, George Friend, Daniel Ayala, Grant Leadbitter ©, Adam Clayton, Adam Reach (Fabrini),

Dael Fry, Tomas Kalas, Albert Adomah

Subs: Tomas Mejias, Muzzy Carayol, Jack Stephens, Cristhian Stuani (Kike), Emilio Nsue, Diego Fabbrini (Reach), Adam Forshaw (Leadbitter)

Referee: Mr C Kavanagh

Preston manager Simon Grayson: "I thought the players worked extremely hard, carried out the game-plan and on another day we could quite easily have had a couple of goals.
"We've limited Middlesbrough to no shots on target, which is some achievement given the players they've got.
"Overall, I'm really satisfied with a really professional performance but also some good quality at times."
Middlesbrough head coach Aitor Karanka: "I said before the game we would be making a big mistake if we think every game will be easy.
"They played very well and were very well organised defensively, and they wanted the ball more than us so we have to improve.
"I am not making excuses. I have a squad that I imagine is better than theirs and they played better than us. They were very well organised and we couldn't play in our way."

Good result for the opening game and should build a bit of confidence as well. Decent crowd turned up to watch it, so hopefully that continues. How did Vermijl play?
Good going forward he points a lot and occasionally gives hospital passes did OK

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »