Thread Rating:
Mark Jenkins
Do people think Jenkins went because 
A/ he wanted to and he had achieved his goal of getting us back in the PL. 
or 
B/ he knew there was no money to spend, so he thought, he was on a hiding to nothing.

I originally thought A but I am starting to worry it is B!
Great question!
I think B..... maybe slightly 'diluted' - he must have known that the budget was so tight that developing a squad capable of survival would be a real issue, and why face it when you're on a high after winning promotion? 'Quit while you're on top'.
Can't say I really blame him!
harrogatebaggie likes this post
They are both correct IMO.
My thoughts are based around how Chinese treat it's employees in general.
When taking over a new venture they offer the world and portray themselves as hero's. They put key staff in place to manage the business with attractive bonuses. Financially they remove debts and let any profits be invested in the short term. Then no further investment happens and as much cash as possible is then withdrawn from the business. Key staff are left in place but with no real authority or control. These key personnel then tend to see it as the honeymoon period is over, bonuses have been collected and don't want to be part of the future demise of the business. They simply leave and turn up at the next opportunity where a new owner wants an experienced firefighter on a short-term basis.
2020 the year the bubble burst  Doh
Wonder if Wer Am Yow sorry Gouchan will buy supporters in the ground for the 1st match a scarf and bovril this year??

DD Whistle Whistle
Ubique.
(02-09-2020, 00:55)harrogatebaggie Wrote: Do people think Jenkins went because 
or 
B/ he knew there was no money to spend, so he thought, he was on a hiding to nothing.

Looks like my post could not be further from the mark, and if we add in how bad the timing of the post was, well enough said!
(02-09-2020, 14:11)harrogatebaggie Wrote:
or 

Looks like my post could not be further from the mark, and if we add in how bad the timing of the post was, well enough said!

Early days yet Harrow but I must admit it looks like things are picking up in the Transfer Market.
or 

No my friend IMO your exactly right, our issue is not buying players, it's the actual paying for them. 
If we get Diangana for £12m it will only be £3 million (25%) to begin with.
The same with Krov (if we cant get him on loan). Anyone else who comes in I would expect us to only stump up 25% of the fee initially.
For us this is an issue, unlike other clubs our owner will not make good any loses. so our debt will grow which is a major problem.
It's certainly not clear if Lai is taking money out of the club either. He didn't spend £200 million for fun that's for sure. He could already be
increasing our debt - it's all hidden so who knows. A sensible business man would expect £10-20m return per year on his investment.
2020 the year the bubble burst  Doh
(02-09-2020, 15:15)Blue Baggie Wrote:
or 

No my friend IMO your exactly right, our issue is not buying players, it's the actual paying for them. 
If we get Diangana for £12m it will only be £3 million (25%) to begin with.
The same with Krov (if we cant get him on loan). Anyone else who comes in I would expect us to only stump up 25% of the fee initially.
For us this is an issue, unlike other clubs our owner will not make good any loses. so our debt will grow which is a major problem.
It's certainly not clear if Lai is taking money out of the club either. He didn't spend £200 million for fun that's for sure. He could already be
increasing our debt - it's all hidden so who knows. A sensible business man would expect £10-20m return per year on his investment.

Agree with some things you state blue but for me if we do go into debt the clever thing we are doing is buying young. Most of the players we are being linked with Barring Deeney are young enough that if or when bought have a sell on value. We already know that 1 good season from Pereira will triple his value. For me Kipre would be a steal at Million. So it’s not like we have done in Pulis Pardew era buying experience with no sell on value. For me the club is in safe hands for the foreseeable future we’ll I hope so anyway.
harrogatebaggie likes this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »