Ronnie Allen               5 caps
Jeff Astle                    5 caps
Ray Barlow                  1 cap
Tony Brown                1 cap
Laurie Cunningham      3 caps
Cyrille Regis                 4 caps
Derek Statham             3 caps.

And just how many caps has Shrek got?????????? Angry

And it's not as if we were ever outside the top division when these guys were at their peak. Sick
Some days I'm top dog, most days I'm just the lamp post.
I think some Albion players were just unlucky when it came to England selection; Clive Clark was the best outside left in the country at a time when the England team were wingless wonders, and Bomber was really ahead of his time in being a proper goalscoring midfielder. Some undoubtedly fell victim to favouritism and cronyism within the system, though.
(07-10-2015, 12:12)drewks Wrote: It's amazing that some real quality Albion players have consistantly been overlooked by England over the years.

IMO the chapter that suggests that this IS something more than just strange was when Bryan Robson went to Man Utd; for a couple of years he'd been as good as he ever was, playing for us - I remember that there was even a 'Robson for England' campaign running! He hardly got a look in....but - SURPRISE SURPRISE! As soon as he went to Old Trafford he was in, and never looked back - was an absolute regular in every game.

Who else? I know a couple DID actually play a couple of times, but that's it....
Bomber
Len Cantello
Laurie Cunningham
John Wile
Derek Statham
Cyrille Regis
Ishmael  Miller

(...ok, the last one was a joke  Dodgy )
I'm sure that there are heaps more that would've played for England if they'd played for a bigger club - like Villa, for example  Doh

It's funny you say that because even now Villa have a surprisingly high number of players who've played for England. Maybe top 5 clubs in England, bizarre.
Probably one the unluckiest ones was Derek Statham who was, IMO, every bit as good as Kenny Sansom but, it was the Arsenal player who amassed over 80 England caps.
drewks and Baggievicar like this post
Some days I'm top dog, most days I'm just the lamp post.
Lescott?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »