Sports Babble - sports forum
Fulham vs WBA - Match Thread - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Football (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: English Football Leagues (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: Sky Bet Championship (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+----- Forum: West Bromwich Albion (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+----- Thread: Fulham vs WBA - Match Thread (/showthread.php?tid=8822)

Pages: 1 2

Fulham vs WBA - Match Thread - Ska'dForLife-WBA - 12-09-2019

[Image: WBAFulham.jpg]

After recording our first home victory under Slaven Bilic (though not without its hair-raising moments) and enjoying a welcome fortnight's break from the punishing Championship schedule, Albion are back in action on Saturday and right in at the deep end with a visit to Craven Cottage for the first time since September 2013. The auspices aren't great: we've been winless against Fulham since 2010, winless on their turf since the ding-dong 3-2 League Cup triumph courtesy of Junichi Inamoto in October 2005, and our last league victory in SW6 was almost fifty-two years ago, on 7th October 1967. As a general rule, if you haven't taken three points from a ground since the days when they didn't even give you three points for it, the fountain of expectation does not overflow.

Nor is there good cause to believe it'll be any easier than usual, with the Cottagers freshly relegated from the Prem and making a decent if not stellar start to the campaign under Scott Parker. A home defeat to Forest provides a glimmer of hope that they're not invincible, and with Albion just one of three teams unbeaten in the division now, we can at least hope for a fighting performance on the banks of the Thames. A draw would be a good return, but it'll take something special for us to spoil the weekend of Hugh Grant and the Tooting Popular Front.

RE: Fulham vs WBA - Match Thread - aries22 - 12-09-2019

It wasn’t often you’d see Tony Brown challenging for a header! Is that Alistair Robertson wearing number 6?

RE: Fulham vs WBA - Match Thread - talkSAFT - 13-09-2019

(12-09-2019, 17:11)Ska\dForLife-WBA Wrote: The auspices aren't great: we've been winless against Fulham since 2010, winless on their turf since the ding-dong 3-2 League Cup triumph courtesy of Junichi Inamoto in October 2005, and our last league victory in SW6 was almost fifty-two years ago, on 7th October 1967.  As a general rule, if you haven't taken three points from a ground since the days when they didn't even give you three points for it, the fountain of expectation does not overflow.

Funny(ish) story:
I remember that game like yesterday. Chatted with some Fulham fans in the pub over the road, and as we left to 'take' the 'Ammersmiff End, a mate of theirs walked in with a bag full of eggs. (Strange!)
Anyway, when Albion took the lead, my brand new mohair jacket got pelted and covered in raw eggs!!! Cue laughter from these lads we were drinking with! B*stards! Angry

RE: Fulham vs WBA - Match Thread - Ska'dForLife-WBA - 13-09-2019

(12-09-2019, 22:54)aries22 Wrote: It wasn’t often you’d see Tony Brown challenging for a header! Is that Alistair Robertson wearing number 6?

Alas, my powers of identifying Albion players from their left ear and leg are not what they once were! However, as you asked nicely, I've pulled up the team-sheets from that season and it seems that although Ally Rob was at number 6 for all but two games that year, this was one of those two exceptions.

So according to the records, it's Alan Merrick in the picture.

RE: Fulham vs WBA - Match Thread - aries22 - 13-09-2019

(13-09-2019, 15:40)Ska\dForLife-WBA Wrote:
(12-09-2019, 22:54)aries22 Wrote: It wasn’t often you’d see Tony Brown challenging for a header! Is that Alistair Robertson wearing number 6?

Alas, my powers of identifying Albion players from their left ear and leg are not what they once were!  However, as you asked nicely, I've pulled up the team-sheets from that season and it seems that although Ally Rob was at number 6 for all but two games that year, this was one of those two exceptions.

So according to the records, it's Alan Merrick in the picture.

Thanks for checking, Ska’d - it didn’t really look like Robertson, more John Kaye if anything, but he was long gone by that time.

On a separate note, Craven Cottage is one of my favourite London football grounds, Spurs’ old White Hart Lane being the other.

RE: Fulham vs WBA - Match Thread - betterthanbaird - 14-09-2019

Unchanged, looking like a tough day for Ferguson on the wrong side against Knockeart.

RE: Fulham vs WBA - Match Thread - aries22 - 14-09-2019

Do we deserve anything from this game?
FT 1-1
I think Albion will be the happier after that.

RE: Fulham vs WBA - Match Thread - silverbaggie - 14-09-2019

Just seen the goals on Sky news.

Thought Johnson might have got a bit closer to their goal.

RE: Fulham vs WBA - Match Thread - Ska'dForLife-WBA - 14-09-2019

Now the only unbeaten team in the league, just one point off the top two, and considering our usual travails at Craven Cottage I'm not sure we can complain, however iffy we may have been for long periods. Absolutely imperative that we start looking for clean sheets and wins going forward, though.

RE: Fulham vs WBA - Match Thread - drewks - 14-09-2019

IMHO, the first 6/7/8 games were always going to be difficult, as we had so many new players in pretty late in the window.
To see us where we are is a real bonus..... in theory 'things can only get better'!
Possibly.