Sports Babble - sports forum
Sam Johnstone - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Football (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: English Football Leagues (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: Sky Bet Championship (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+----- Forum: West Bromwich Albion (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+----- Thread: Sam Johnstone (/showthread.php?tid=8739)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Sam Johnstone - BaggieMan - 18-08-2019

I’m concerned at the quality and consistency of Sam Johnstone who certainly isn’t anywhere near the standard of Ben Foster. Yes, he has some decent stops but all too often he lets in a goal that he should have stopped.

At Forest any keeper worth their salt would have saved that near post shot but it squirmed under him and yesterday he should have at least known a cross was coming in and been prepared for a possible header on goal but he stands still like a statue making zero effort to save the goal.

If Bond isn’t good enough yet, I think we should be looking for a new Championship experienced keeper in the January window. Johnstone could be the difference between getting promotion or mid-table finish come next May.

RE: Sam Johnstone - Blue Baggie - 18-08-2019

Please remember Fozzy was an fantastic keeper. probably one of our best over the last 50 years.
Comparing anyone to him is not fair IMO. Johnstone is one of a new type of keeper who is stuck to the line (Pickford is another one)
Several good keepers were available on free's during the window, but it wasn't a priority.
Johnstone prior to us purchasing him was voted the best EFL keeper, how much John Terry contributed to his success is for debate.
If we do drop Johnstone IMO he will be finished mentally and we may as well sell him. Bond IMO doesn't do anything different to
Johnstone so alas it won't change much if he takes over.
Approximately 100 goalkeepers are available / out of contract and are available for free - Surely our recruitment team can find one
good one from the one's available. We don't have to wait 4 months to make a change.
I don't believe he is all bad, my issue is he is not vocal and commanding enough with his defenders.

RE: Sam Johnstone - WBA-Josh - 18-08-2019

I’d be sticking with Johnstone but one goalkeeper that is currently available on free is Michel Vorm, formerly of Swansea and Spurs. He’s 35 now but not over the hill just yet.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/michel-vorm/profil/spieler/26276

I think currently we find ourselves in a similar situation to when we had Foster and Myhill. Foster was clear number 1 and Myhill clear number 2 and mistakes crept into Foster’s game because he would never be at risk of being dropped. Currently we have Johnstone as number 1 and Bond as number 2 and Johnstone isn’t really going to be pushed for his place by Bond (with all due respect to Bond). That’s why I wanted us to sign Adrian from West Ham because he’d really push Johnstone.

RE: Sam Johnstone - Beefy 1965 - 18-08-2019

I don't think he was to blame for the goal yesterday the guy was unmarked with a free header in the six yard box !!

RE: Sam Johnstone - WBA-Josh - 18-08-2019

(18-08-2019, 19:53)Beefy 1965 Wrote: I don't think he was to blame for the goal yesterday the guy was unmarked with a free header in the six yard box !!

It was dreadful defending for the goal. Edwards caught out of position, Gibbs too far away from the crosser and Ajayi fell over when backtracking which left space for the scorer as Bartley couldn’t get across because he was watching the other forward.

I think Johnstone’s positioning for the goal wasn’t that far off really. He was on his toes and was slightly towards the back post which is normal positioning for goalkeepers at crosses. The only criticism could be his lack of dive at the header but as the header happened, his feet were planted on the floor. Up to that point he was on his toes.

RE: Sam Johnstone - bomberbrown1968 - 18-08-2019

I'm in the Johnstone camp, he's just another in the long line of players who don't float the boat of some supporters. When Foster was here he had a real rapport with the fans and he was no doubt the best keeper we've had for years. He was always going to be busier in the Premier league where we invited pressure and gave chances aplenty, and pulled off some worldy saves. He also made the odd mistake, but because we loved him it was quickly overlooked or forgotten. And although I don't particularly blame him, he jumped ship for the Premier league despite assurances he was going to be there to help get us back up. As I said I understand why he went but the way he went did leave a sour taste - but again very little was aimed at him for doing it.

I don't wash with all the slagging off of players, they can all have bad spells, it's if they don't care or try that gets me, yet I think we've rid the club of those sorts, Berahino, Chadli, Murphy, Lambert to name a few, but depending who they are get varying degrees of criticism from certain sections.

Brunt, Livermore, Johnstone and even Zahore after 3 games get pelters and love them or hate them they wear the shirt and are part of our club, I just think the level is unwarranted sometimes and as I say it's always the same players. Minds are made up by some before players walk through the door while others never actually get a fair crack of the whip if their form dips.

RE: Sam Johnstone - Arcane Astral Aeons - 18-08-2019

(18-08-2019, 21:02)bomberbrown1968 Wrote: I'm in the Johnstone camp, he's just another in the long line of players who don't float the boat of some supporters. When Foster was here he had a real rapport with the fans and he was no doubt the best keeper we've had for years. He was always going to be busier in the Premier league where we invited pressure and gave chances aplenty, and pulled off some worldy saves. He also made the odd mistake, but because we loved him it was quickly overlooked or forgotten. And although I don't particularly blame him, he jumped ship for the Premier league despite assurances he was going to be there to help get us back up. As I said I understand why he went but the way he went did leave a sour taste - but again very little was aimed at him for doing it.

I don't wash with all the slagging off of players, they can all have bad spells, it's if they don't care or try that gets me, yet I think we've rid the club of those sorts, Berahino, Chadli, Murphy, Lambert to name a few, but depending who they are get varying degrees of criticism from certain sections.

Brunt, Livermore, Johnstone and even Zahore after 3 games get pelters and love them or hate them they wear the shirt and are part of our club, I just think the level is unwarranted sometimes and as I say it's always the same players. Minds are made up by some before players walk through the door while others never actually get a fair crack of the whip if their form dips.

agree with that
if they are wearing our beloved stripes  they get my support no matter how crap they may play

RE: Sam Johnstone - talkSAFT - 19-08-2019

(18-08-2019, 21:24)Arcane Astral Aeons Wrote: agree with that
if they are wearing our beloved stripes  they get my support no matter how crap they may play

That rules Johnstone out then. Whistle

RE: Sam Johnstone - Worldclassalbion - 20-08-2019

He is a Vampire...... he’s terrified of crosses. Can’t stop anything from outside the box either. Not even an average keeper. Give Bond a chance or apologise to Foster for telling him he would be number 2 to this clown and try and get him back. In my opinion Johnston cost us promotion last season with his playing out the back costing several goals against us. I don’t care if Big Dave wanted him to do it either because at some point you have to use your own brain. He didn’t and cost us massive.

RE: Sam Johnstone - Northwalesbaggie - 20-08-2019

(20-08-2019, 17:30)Worldclassalbion Wrote: He is a Vampire...... he’s terrified of crosses. Can’t stop anything from outside the box either. Not even an average keeper. Give Bond a chance or apologise to Foster for telling him he would be number 2 to this clown and try and get him back. In my opinion Johnston cost us promotion last season with his playing out the back costing several goals against us. I don’t care if Big Dave wanted him to do it either because at some point you have to use your own brain. He didn’t and cost us massive.

I agree. Unfortunately Johnstone cost us several valuable points last season. His distribution from the back was woeful... not much better this season. Bond looked comfortable with the ball at his feet in the Cup game against Milwall. Last season he had did well when played.I can't see that dropping him will dent his confidence... surely it should spur him on to do better??.