Sports Babble - sports forum
Belgium 1 England 0 - The Belgium B team 'does the biz' to top the group! - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Football (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: International Matches (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=153)
+---- Forum: The World Cup (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=276)
+---- Thread: Belgium 1 England 0 - The Belgium B team 'does the biz' to top the group! (/showthread.php?tid=7090)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Belgium 1 England 0 - The Belgium B team 'does the biz' to top the group! - 0762 - 28-06-2018

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44439312
No great damage done for Gareth Southgate as the next KO match was his main target. Re the match itself - Belgium B team v England B side - IMO Dembele was the best player on the pitch literally 'smoking a cigar' and I think Fellaini 'opened' a few eyes' re the frailty of certain English defenders who really were exposed in aerial duels. Boyata also very good in the Belgian defence - seemed to 'raise his game'. I'm not a Fellaini fan and I call him 'the wrecker' but he did his job very well tonight with a few English players aware they were in a 'real physical battle'! Also big question marks re their goalie Pickford?? Dunno what to make of this lad - a temperament issue? The winning goal? A cracking shot by Januzaj who never really 'did it' previously with Man Utd and ended up moving on and playing for various footie clubs in his fairly short career so far. A very good goal all the same. So Belgium move on to take on Japan, a good pairing for them, but it will be a testy match v high energy opponents. One thing that surprised me re Belgium is the fact Martinez has a decent player squad at his disposal - a lot better than I realised!
Lastly, what about Batshuayi's goal celebration?? How funny was that kicked ball rebounding off the England goal post and bang on his head - almost a KO lol! He won't forget that celebration 'in a hurry' lol! Priceless!

RE: Belgium 1 England 0 - The Belgium B team 'does the biz' to top the group! - hibeejim21 - 28-06-2018

Was impressed by belgiums B team. All the half time chat in the studio about Belgium trying not to win. Laugh

49 minutes: 1-0 Belgium.

RE: Belgium 1 England 0 - The Belgium B team 'does the biz' to top the group! - 0762 - 28-06-2018

Aye! I try to ignore a lotta this stuff after observing that embarrassing tirade on ITV by Gary Neville after live tv coverage of Germany's last min winning goal by Tony Kroos v Sweden! The words 'inferiority complex' and obsession came to mind after watching that shameful performance by Neville!! Jamie Carragher anyone? And a 'head full of sawdust' eh lol!

RE: Belgium 1 England 0 - The Belgium B team 'does the biz' to top the group! - spireitematt - 28-06-2018

(28-06-2018, 23:23)hibeejim21 Wrote: Was impressed by belgiums B team. All the half time chat in the studio about Belgium trying not to win.  Laugh

49 minutes: 1-0 Belgium.

Don't think either team were bothered about winning as they qualified through to the next round. Japan or Colombia it doesn't matter as no game is easy. England need to play with their original line-up from the first two group games and just go for it now and what will be will be. We need to forget about quarter-finals, semi-finals, winning it etc and just take it one game at a time and see what happens.

Got to admit it was a pretty good goal from Belgium and think they've got a good chance in this tournament.

RE: Belgium 1 England 0 - The Belgium B team 'does the biz' to top the group! - 0762 - 28-06-2018

Yep. I found it interesting watching Hazard, Lukaku, Meertens and others on the Belgian subs' bench - pretty much 'laid back' and relaxed throughout this match and not too bothered.

RE: Belgium 1 England 0 - The Belgium B team 'does the biz' to top the group! - spireitematt - 29-06-2018

This is BBC vs ITV England World Cup games from 1998 onwards

BBC: P13 W9 D1 L3 (Win ratio - 69%)

ITV: P11 W1 D5 L5 (Win ratio - 9%)

This is BBC vs ITV England World Cup/Euro games from 1996 onwards

BBC: P22 W13 D1 L8 (win rate of 59.09%)

ITV: P22 W6 D9 L7 (win rate of 27.27%)

Colombia game is on ITV  Doh

RE: Belgium 1 England 0 - The Belgium B team 'does the biz' to top the group! - hibeejim21 - 29-06-2018

(28-06-2018, 23:38)0762 Wrote: Aye! I try to ignore a lotta this stuff after observing that embarrassing tirade on ITV by Gary Neville after live tv coverage of Germany's last min winning goal by Tony Kroos v Sweden! The words 'inferiority complex' and obsession came to mind after watching that shameful performance by Neville!! Jamie Carragher anyone? And a 'head full of sawdust' eh lol!

BBC are even worse. They forget the B at the start stands for british not english. Shearer and lineker are total wankers.

Belgium have a wee squeak of winning it i think. Even boyata is playing well Laugh

I have a wee feeling that sweden are going to do better than the pundits think. But don't put any of your cash on it 0762 !

RE: Belgium 1 England 0 - The Belgium B team 'does the biz' to top the group! - spireitematt - 29-06-2018

(29-06-2018, 13:16)hibeejim21 Wrote:
(28-06-2018, 23:38)0762 Wrote: Aye! I try to ignore a lotta this stuff after observing that embarrassing tirade on ITV by Gary Neville after live tv coverage of Germany's last min winning goal by Tony Kroos v Sweden! The words 'inferiority complex' and obsession came to mind after watching that shameful performance by Neville!! Jamie Carragher anyone? And a 'head full of sawdust' eh lol!
Belgium have a wee squeak of winning it i think. Even boyata is playing well  Laugh

They are the top team in Europe in the FIFA Rankings. I did say to a few people I know that Belgium are the one's to watch as they've got a good squad. They managed to get to the quarter-finals of the Euros before Wales beat them.

RE: Belgium 1 England 0 - The Belgium B team 'does the biz' to top the group! - 0762 - 29-06-2018

They've also picked up valuable experience in big footie tournaments and may well have learned from previous failure plus I never rated their previous manager, Marc Wilmots, as a 'good fit' with this 'golden generation' of players although he started off well when they were younger and then failed to improve things just before Martinez finally took over.

RE: Belgium 1 England 0 - The Belgium B team 'does the biz' to top the group! - Devongone - 30-06-2018

I don't mind Gary Lineker, and Shearer is definitely already too far up his own arse to be a successful wanker.

Pundits and commentators just get loads of stuff wrong, because most of them have been pro' players and have had the same education and background. They see what they expected to see and continue until major incidents intervene to force them to catch sight of the truth. And fans largely swallow it down with fava beans. Even on here people gulped down Russia suddenly being a decent team and regurgitated the opinion like breeding gannets. In fact they walloped a team of surrender monkeys and pretty much capitulated once they met a team against which they could make no progress. (And I'm not talking about other people here, I mean me too in most instances.)

I may be an old fart but I reckon you can discount Belgium and England from any long-term calculations. Belgium might get through another round as they have accidentally landed themselves the worst side still in the tournament in Japan. But both England and Belgium proved they would have been happy to lose ...... which actually means they weren't confident they'd win playing their best team and wouldn't be able to handle the consequences of such a defeat. Some teams wait for the media and fans to tag them as losers, Belgium and England have conveniently tagged themselves.