Sports Babble - sports forum
In Which People Go To Cricket - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Other Sports (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Cricket (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=77)
+--- Thread: In Which People Go To Cricket (/showthread.php?tid=6809)

Pages: 1 2 3

In Which People Go To Cricket - Marco4 - 16-05-2018

There's a few background tales to this, but the crux of it is this - the last couple of years, if I get a spare weekend, I go watch cricket.

I barely get to football any more (I'll be honest the crowds aren't good for me and I don't really enjoy it). Cricket, though, red ball cricket, I love.

I live in Kent, so naturally they're the team I see most often, but I'm a Yorkshire man and a Yorkshire fan, so unless I'm at Kent, they'd be second pick, and then AN Other game behind.

I have to go to Kent because this year, they gave me a membership to be their poet. I've got a staff entry card, get in every game for free and I'm bound to one poem a month - my remit being positive and covering a range of things within the month.

I thought this might be nice for me to detail where I've been with photos maybe, and what I saw. I'll try post one today, and I'm up to four days this year, with a fifth booked for Sunday.

I thought it might be nice, if anyone else goes to cricket for them to do the same here. People don't, though. I'm always being told that.

[Image: Guc4HSoQ_o.jpg]

First match I got to was early April, Middlesex v. Durham MCCU at Merchant Taylor's School (you can see the school buildings on the right there) . Durham bowled well, kept it really tight early on and though Sam Robson looked comfortable, scoring was difficult.

I spent my dad chatting to a guy who looked like Bill Nighy could have been his son, absolutely lovely chap, steeped in Middlesex. When I say chatting, we must've said 100 words between us "That was unlucky", "I thought that was high", "They say he bats like Denis Compton but I don't see it"

[Image: DR9PyI5s_o.jpg]

The afternoon was rather taken over by a bloke who plonked himself next to us and wouldn't shut up. He was Tax Master of the Year 1984 (it's like Master Mind but for taxmen). I learned all sorts of things about him and his life; not that he wasn't a nice chap, but the day needed respect and quiet, and he couldn't provide the latter which was a bit of a shame.

(Those photos aren't the same (check the fielders and the branches) but it's rare I sit in the same spot all day)

Excellent day, though the cricket was a bit flat. 7/10.

RE: In Which People Go To Cricket - Lord Snooty - 16-05-2018

Not been to a cricket match for a few years now. Last went to Headingley for a 20/20. I prefer watching cricket on telly.
Can't understand people who pay to go to the other side of the world to watch and then just get drunk and sing bawdy songs. Whistle

RE: In Which People Go To Cricket - Marco4 - 16-05-2018

I tend to have a single beer most times I go to Kent. All our pint glasses indoors are from Canterbury Laugh

RE: In Which People Go To Cricket - themaclad - 16-05-2018

Went back to playing at the age of 58, have membership for Lancashire watch mainly four day and 50 over stuff and test only on the box. Like 5 live extra commentary can wander round the country lanes listening to cricket.
Would not touch 20/20 with a barge pole or the made up 100 ball crap.
Traditionalist

RE: In Which People Go To Cricket - Marco4 - 16-05-2018

I do similar things on the way home from work - county commentary from everywhere as the day is winding down. I'm mainly four day, but I don't mind the others. T20 is a bit of fun; never been to one on my own, but that might change this year.

RE: In Which People Go To Cricket - spireitematt - 16-05-2018

Been watching Derbyshire on their live stream on their website but not been to a game for a long time. Sometimes I might catch a game of village cricket but wouldn't mind playing again (better bowler than a batter)

RE: In Which People Go To Cricket - Lord Snooty - 16-05-2018

I used to like listening to Test Match Special at work. Used to work with a few like minded folks. Only listen to it now if I'm on my own.

RE: In Which People Go To Cricket - Marco4 - 17-05-2018

Second day of cricket was Day 2 of Kent v Gloucestershire at Canterbury. Daniel Bell-Drummond hit a gorgeous 61 before getting out just before lunch, and then Kent wickets kept falling during the afternoon. Zak Crawley put up a bit of a fight, but they ended up all out for 153 in their second innings and setting Glos a target of 105.

[Image: 5rAsNiys_o.jpg]

DBD looked as though he was playing on a different pitch and the punch down the ground for his fifty was as pure a shot as you'll see. I wrote a poem about it. Kent didn't use it.

Exciting day, but the pitch dominated. 6/10.

RE: In Which People Go To Cricket - Marco4 - 18-05-2018

Next day - fully formed this one - was Essex v Yorkshire at Chelmsford. It was Day 2 again, Yorkshire having been bowled out for 50, and Essex for 142 the day before. The Tykes had started well, Bairstow and Brook looking good the night before, but YJB didn't last until close.

[Image: BUHN4ode_o.jpg]

Brook did stick around, and was still there with Pujara when I arrived about fifteen minutes in, discount on the gate for my Kent membership. The two looked solid, even if the runs had slowed a little from the night before, and then Pujara left one that clattered into his off stump. I'm led to believe this poem was read out on the radio, but I might be wrong.

Pujara Leaves

In fairness, that wasn't the only ball that didn't do what was expected all day, but Root and Brook saw things through to lunch, Root looking his usual busy self and Brook playing the senior role, gathering his runs calmly and occasionally letting loose on the bad balls - some booming shots to the ropes in there.

On His Toes

Brook continued until well into the afternoon but after Root departed (he didn't look quite right after lunch) the innings rather fell apart around him.

Into the Shadows

He got his century before rather meekly succumbing to a lofted shot to Simon Harmer.

[Image: lEvxxiix_o.jpg]

Jack Leaning added some fun, late, runs and Yorkshire set a decent total.

[Image: XuSGY9Sj_o.jpg]

I left a little after tea, had to get home, but Cook got out early and Essex rather stalled. There was some hairy moments, but the White Rose eventually prevailed.

RE: In Which People Go To Cricket - Marco4 - 18-05-2018

Last weekend I was at Kent v Sussex back at my home ground of Canterbury. Again, it was Day 2, and I saw the end of the Sussex innings; Matt Henry looked brilliant and then a bit of a rain break and some of Kent.

[Image: WLwEH2Iq_o.jpg]

Highlights included Ishant Sharma bowling for Sussex, Henry looking so much quicker than either Podmore or Stewart (Stewart bowled one ball of an over and pulled up lame at one point).

[Image: V1pMvwam_o.jpg]

Heino Kuhn also batted pretty well. During the afternoon, he played some excellent strokes, including a ferocious late cut that was scorched into my mind so brightly I can see it now.

I wrote quite a lot of poetry at this one, but I might need it for Kent.

Big names, big games, also rain 5/10. Saw Darren Stevens in the city after I'd left.

Got my ticket for Radlett through the post today.