Sports Babble - sports forum
WBA PL Managers - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Football (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: English Football Leagues (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: Sky Bet Championship (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+----- Forum: West Bromwich Albion (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+----- Thread: WBA PL Managers (/showthread.php?tid=5069)

Pages: 1 2 3

WBA PL Managers - GlassEyedBomber - 23-02-2017

Simple question, who do you guys rate as the best manager we've had during our time in the premier league?

RE: WBA PL Managers - talkSAFT - 23-02-2017

For me there's no stand-out Head Coach among that list of WBA Prem Managers:
Megson and Mowbray were great Championship candidates - but not Prem (and that's not their fault - more the fault of circumstances - ie they 'managed' Clubs who were building foundations).
It's easy to vote for Hodgson but am I being influenced by his 40 year record with other Teams?
If Pulis continues to listen to the Club and fans, he could turn into a bit of a legend (although I'd have placed him behind Mel and Irvine a few months ago, despite his achievement in keeping us up 2 years ago.)
Steve Clarke seemed to be the answer, but somehow lost the plot. And Pop amazingly kept us up, but then brought in some poor signings when he was trusted with the transfer kitty.

I can't make my mind up, but rather than passing on a good debate, I'm voting for.....erm, errr,
Mowbray for the brand of football he had us playing, which (to me) was (fractionally) more important than the results. I might change my mind in 5 minutes time, though.

RE: WBA PL Managers - Ska'dForLife-WBA - 23-02-2017

(23-02-2017, 10:48)talkSAFT Wrote: Pop amazingly kept us up, but then brought in some poor signings when he was trusted with the transfer kitty.

Do you mean Pepe Mel? The only signing he ever made was Thievy on loan, that January window. He was sacked in early May, and the summer's transfers were the doing of Garlick/Day/Burton with Alan Irvine at the helm. (That said, I remain unconvinced that he was the managerial god some still insist, but our bad transfers in 2014 can't be pinned on him).

Objectively, in spite of his shortcomings, Hodgson still has the highest win percentage of all our Prem managers, so I think he has to get the nod from me. Add to that the Mol Massacre, which is a strong contender for our greatest ever Premier League game, and I don't think any other boss can match his record over a sustained period of time.

Pulis has come through a tough patch and is doing a fine job right now, but he'd need to give us at least a couple of seasons like this one (perhaps even a cup final and/or European qualification) before I'd consider him to be outdoing those who've gone before.

(23-02-2017, 01:18)GlassEyedBomber Wrote: Simple question, who do you guys rate as the best manger we've had during our time in the premier league?

Just so as you know, I tried my hardest to resist doing this.

But if you really want to know the best manger I've ever seen... Whistle

[Image: Manger.jpg]

RE: WBA PL Managers - aries22 - 23-02-2017

(23-02-2017, 10:48)talkSAFT Wrote: For me there's no stand-out Head Coach among that list of WBA Prem Managers:
Megson and Mowbray were great Championship candidates - but not Prem (and that's not their fault - more t
I can't make my mind up, but rather than passing on a good debate, I'm voting for.....erm, errr,
Mowbray for the brand of football he had us playing, which (to me) was (fractionally) more important than the results. I might change my mind in 5 minutes time, though.

Tony Mowbray's football in our Championship-winning year was fantastic. We pushed our luck sometimes but usually came up trumps - the 4-3 home win over Colchester after being 3-2 down on 90 minutes. The Cup replay 2-1 win at (admittedly League One) Peterborough was another highlight - great passing at pace. Then the change into our traditional stripes at QPR for the Championship trophy presentation.

(23-02-2017, 15:24)Ska Wrote: [quote='talkSAFT' pid='109339' dateline='1487839689']
Pop amazingly kept us up, but then brought in some poor signings when he was trusted with the transfer kitty.

Do you mean Pepe Mel?

I reckon he means Bryan Robson.

RE: WBA PL Managers - talkSAFT - 23-02-2017

(23-02-2017, 15:24)Ska Wrote:
(23-02-2017, 10:48)talkSAFT Wrote: Pop amazingly kept us up, but then brought in some poor signings when he was trusted with the transfer kitty.

Do you mean Pepe Mel?  The only signing he ever made was Thievy on loan, that January window.  He was sacked in early May, and the summer's transfers were the doing of Garlick/Day/Burton with Alan Irvine at the helm.  (That said, I remain unconvinced that he was the managerial god some still insist, but our bad transfers in 2014 can't be pinned on him).

No, Ska'd. I did mean Pop Robson (as Aries guessed).

Ah, of course! In which case your summary of him is spot on.

RE: WBA PL Managers - 4evaabaggie - 23-02-2017

I voted for Steve Clarke, only because the football wasn't bad, we had our highest place finish and we pissed on fergies retirement party., SAF maybe the greatest PL manager but his attitude, his bullying of refs and fergie time mean I am glad he's gone. TP may match our eighth place finish but some of the football needs forgetting, as mentioned if he can continue in current mode then TP would be my choice.

Just as a side question .... which of our PL managers has the best points per game ratio? I don't know the answer but surely a bit more subjective than personal opinion although entertaining football does not always generate points ... look at the Stoke smash and grab City of previous years.

(23-02-2017, 18:57)4evaabaggie Wrote: I voted for Steve Clarke, only because the football wasn't bad, we had our highest place finish and we pissed on fergies retirement party., SAF maybe the greatest PL manager but his attitude, his bullying of refs and fergie time mean I am glad he's gone. TP may match our eighth place finish but some of the football needs forgetting, as mentioned if he can continue in current mode then TP would be my choice.

Just as a side question .... which of our PL managers has the best points per game ratio? I don't know the answer but surely a bit more subjective than personal opinion although entertaining football does not always generate points ... look at the Stoke smash and grab City of previous years.

I've always felt Steve Clarke got a raw deal, to be fair. Our steady decline through 2013 was almost entirely down to our poor transfers (failure to replace Gera and Odemwingie in January made us reliant on Lukaku; failure to replace Lukaku in August left us up shit creek). He had some faults and problems that were of his own making too, but he definitely got hung out to dry by the board.

Interesting question regarding the points per game. I've spent five minutes doing the sums, and in chronological order:

Megson - 0.7 PPG
Robson - 0.85 PPG
Mowbray - 0.84 PPG
Di Matteo - 1.04 PPG
Hodgson - 1.34 PPG
Clarke - 1.18 PPG
Mel - 0.88 PPG
Irvine - 0.89 PPG
Pulis - 1.30 PPG

So it's Hodgson by a whisker. By my reckoning, we'd need another 22 points between now and season's end for Pulis to edge ahead of him.

RE: WBA PL Managers - drewks - 23-02-2017

Great question!
I don't know if any of us would use the same criteria in judging our best PL manager/HC but mine would be RDM. IMO his teams played some really nice football, also he had that lovely Italian 'charm' about him, plus a refreshing honesty when interviewed.

RE: WBA PL Managers - 4evaabaggie - 23-02-2017

Ska'd, you really are amazing, I pose a question and quicker than Saido could throw a sulk you have the answer, pleasantly surprised a little that Pulis's was second but could bode well for our future and with vile sinking looks set for happy times ahead.