Sports Babble - sports forum
New Songs/Chants - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Football (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: English Football Leagues (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: Sky Bet Championship (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+----- Forum: West Bromwich Albion (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+----- Thread: New Songs/Chants (/showthread.php?tid=4899)

Pages: 1 2 3

New Songs/Chants - talkSAFT - 03-01-2017

We haven't had much to sing about for a year or 2, and new songs are bound to come out more when we have something to sing about!
I only get to 4 or 5 games a year, and the last game (Boro 0-0) I sat more or less in silence. When a newish song came out at the Smethwick I couldn't hear the words from the far end of the East Stand.
Can regulars keep us upto date with the latest songs on this Thread:

Include words, tune, date the song started (approx), etc

eg    Al-bi-on Al-bi-on Al-bi-on etc etc       tune of "Stars and Stripes"      started (I dunno, 1970s)
eg    Gareth Gareth McAuley                                "Heartbeat"                          (2015?)
eg    Whatever is sung to "Don't Take Me Home"     "Achey Breaky Heart               (Oct 2016)

etc etc

RE: New Songs/Chants - 4evaabaggie - 03-01-2017

Talksaft, great thread, I too am not as regular as I would like, seen the doctor ..... apparently you can not get Albion on prescription, so find it difficult to keep up or pick up on new songs / chants. A song thread would help. The atmosphere at the shrine has diminished since the introduction of seating and without the pressure of fighting for promotion or against relegation people become complacent, I love the Hawthorns when it's rocking and being able to sing with gusto makes for a great experience.

RE: New Songs/Chants - Worldclassalbion - 03-01-2017

Who's the best striker in the premier league its you Rondondon its you Rondon

Tune of Da Doo Ron Ron by The Crystals

Achey breaky heart

"We've got Kanu, Robson Kanu, I just don't think you understand, we got him on a free, we're going to Wemberrrley, we got Robson Kanu"

RE: New Songs/Chants - talkSAFT - 03-01-2017

Spot on, Eva. It's part of the experience for me, as well, and if the place was rocking every week I really believe more people would come back. (Back in the 60s my Blues and Villa mates used to come just for the atmosphere and singing which was nonexistent at their Home grounds).
I probably look very silly singing my head off, and urging others, at my age, but who gives a feck!

RE: New Songs/Chants - HRK - 03-01-2017

Fair play talkSAFT. I'd recommend getting yourself a ticket for an away game if you want the atmosphere of old. It's pretty much the away fans at all grounds that make the noise nowadays. My advice would be to get tickets in the Smethwick End for home games, has been the loudest stand for quite some time now. The East Stand is great in terms of view but non existent atmosphere.

The Brummie used to have a good atmosphere too but some overly keen stewarding has really killed the atmosphere in there, really there's 3 "family" stands now and the Smethwick is where the chants and atmosphere are now.

There's plans afoot to turn the top half of the SME into safe standing for both home and away supporters which I'm really looking forward to, just a case of when the legislation goes through now that will allow English clubs to start install Rail seating.

I myself have been to Celtic as a friend works up in Scotland and dropped lucky on getting some tickets for the game against Borussia Monchengladbach. Their safe standing section was absolutely rocking and a throw back to the old days, just needs to be expanded once it's proven to be safe.

As for songs I'll contribute a few of the newer ones I've heard at home and on my travels this season.

Nice video of us serenading the Seals in the concourse at Leicester pre kick off.
https://twitter.com/Megan_WBA/status/795366533635670020

"If Lambert scores, we're on the pitch! If Lambert scores, we're on the pitch!"
Sung at Northampton away, when Rickie Lambert stepped up to take a free kick, then heard what was being sung and then left it for another player. Can't remember who that was as I was laughing so much lol

"We've got Evans at the back, it's gonna be alright, so don't worry about a thing (repeat)" Sung loosely to the tune of Don't worry Bob Marley started last year.

Also one that I'm trying to start at the moment is another chant for Yacob as he's been immense lately. He does have a song already but a second one is in order.

To the tune of Brimful of Asha by Cornershop

"Claudio Yacob is our number five (x4) Everyone needs a Yacob in the middle, everyone needs a Yacob (x3) repeat"

RE: New Songs/Chants - Ska'dForLife-WBA - 03-01-2017

A good recent one that got another airing against Hull, to the tune of This Is How It Feels by the Inspiral Carpets:

So this is how it feels to be Albion
This is how it feels to be small
We're in the Premier League
Where the f**k are Villa and Wolves?

RE: New Songs/Chants - HRK - 03-01-2017

talkSAFT - one of the chants at the Boro game you might have heard coming from the Smethwick was one that got started by a bloke a few rows over from me:

To the tune of Tom Hark - The Piranhas

"Super Sunday, you're taking the piss! Super Sunday, you're taking the piss!"

That was a horrendous game, thankfully we've improved since then!

RE: New Songs/Chants - aries22 - 05-01-2017

(03-01-2017, 18:21)talkSAFT Wrote: Spot on, Eva. It's part of the experience for me, as well, and if the place was rocking every week I really believe more people would come back. (Back in the 60s my Blues and Villa mates used to come just for the atmosphere and singing which was nonexistent at their Home grounds).
I probably look very silly singing my head off, and urging others, at my age, but who gives a feck!

Spot on! I seem to go into the East Stand most games I go to these days, and I look over to the Smethwick and smile at them - they seem to have so much fun, and the songs are really funny. When I move back to the Midlands, I will be very tempted to get a ST in the Smethwick just for the crack, even if I have to stand up all game to see the actual match, and I am 62.

RE: New Songs/Chants - HRK - 05-01-2017

(05-01-2017, 19:02)aries22 Wrote:
(03-01-2017, 18:21)talkSAFT Wrote: Spot on, Eva. It's part of the experience for me, as well, and if the place was rocking every week I really believe more people would come back. (Back in the 60s my Blues and Villa mates used to come just for the atmosphere and singing which was nonexistent at their Home grounds).

Spot on! I seem to go into the East Stand most games I go to these days, and I look over to the Smethwick and smile at them - they seem to have so much fun, and the songs are really funny. When I move back to the Midlands, I will be very tempted to get a ST in the Smethwick just for the crack, even if I have to stand up all game to see the actual match, and I am 62.

It's generally the top half of the Smethwick that stand but you'd still have a good view and atmosphere if you aim for seats in either blocks B1, B2 or B3 in rows starting from V to EE. 

The view in the East Stand is great and I'll be there this Saturday, but the atmosphere is definitely the better in the Smethwick.

RE: New Songs/Chants - aries22 - 06-01-2017

(03-01-2017, 22:30)Ska Wrote: A good recent one that got another airing against Hull, to the tune of This Is How It Feels by the Inspiral Carpets:

So this is how it feels to be Albion
This is how it feels to be small
We're in the Premier League
Where the f**k are Villa and Wolves?

Ska'd that's brilliant, I had to put that song on Youtube and play it through then mime the Baggies fans' words to it. Laugh
On another note, I was in Shifnal before Christmas, house-hunting, and a pub there, the Winking Frog I think in Aston Street, was having a Ska evening that day. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it, but maybe next time.