Sports Babble - sports forum
Match Fred - Villa v Town - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Football (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: English Football Leagues (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: Sky Bet League One (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=79)
+----- Forum: Huddersfield Town (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=70)
+----- Thread: Match Fred - Villa v Town (/showthread.php?tid=4459)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Match Fred - Villa v Town - theo_luddite - 15-08-2016

[Image: Aston_Villa.svg] V [Image: TMs8bIqmdjn1yHKspgGewdS2U9nnOZzWbaWsnHjq...-A=s300-no]

Villans v Terriers
[Image: 93419999.jpg]
Tuesday 16th August 2016
Villa Park
Trinity Road
Brum B6 6HE

Thanks to those good chaps at Wiki, Statto, The AA, transfermarkt.com and others mentioned below for use of the brilliant information they park out there on the interweb. No I didn't ask but you've been credited and I'm not getting paid for this so stop moaning. Smile

2nd in the League Town head to Middle England for a game on Tuesday night at 11th placed Villa.
How good does that sound eh? OK it's early days yet but if you want to stop the league now (please), we'll take it.  Thumb up

We've Met Before

but the last time was a while back.

The 1987-88 season to be exact, which was a bit short of a year before I moved down to this neck of the woods. I watched my first and last game in a Corporate Hostility box at the Villa that season. Talk about no bloody atmosphere, I'm still in no rush to repeat that experience despite all the money that it brings in for most clubs.

Head to Head

[Image: hyTvaVecuqaj9lFRI6Pc_w93eqOBhgAzQOA8aCjE...13-h263-no]

[Image: Nf11b_kv8GycW-NMzWPjId8wvXIHw4TDkp33C6K8...06-h322-no]

We used to meet regularly from the 1920's to the mid 50's in Division One (long, long, long before it became the Prima Donna League) and again in the Second Division (now the Championship, where we knew we'd meet again some sunny day) in the 60's on our way up and once again in the 72-73 season on our way to pop in on the rest of the 92 at that time.

Keep it under wraps chaps but we don't seem to have done too well at Villa Park, you know how superstitious some of these bloody footballers are - time for a change in fortune me thinks before they really get their act back together again. Either way - we are long overdue a win. Just like we were at Sid James's Park on Saturday. 1951 the last time we won at Villa so Snoots said on Saturdays fred.  Huh

Some Villa History

(Wiki page is where I knicked most of this from).
Aston Villa Football Club were founded in 1874, they have played at their current home ground, Villa Park, since 1897. Aston Villa were the originators and founding members of the Football League in 1888. They were also founding members of the Premier League in 1992.

Aston Villa are one of the oldest and most successful football clubs in the history of English football. Villa won the 1981–82 European Cup, and are thus one of five English clubs to win what is now the UEFA Champions League. They have the fifth highest total of major honours won by an English club, having won the First Division Championship seven times, the FA Cup seven times, the Football League Cup five times, and the European Cup and UEFA Super Cup double in 1982.

That was back in the days when football was played in black and white.

[Image: 1982-european-cup-final-aston-villa-gary...0805123553]

They have a fierce local rivalry with Birmingham City. The Second City derby between Aston Villa and The Blue Noses has been played since 1879. The club's traditional kit colours are claret shirts with sky blue sleeves, white shorts and sky blue socks. Their traditional badge is of a rampant lion, which was introduced by the club's Scottish chairman William McGregor in honour of the Royal Standard of Scotland.

A Chinese Takeaway?

[Image: chinese-takeaway.jpg]

or A Xia Heart Attack?

[Image: 160525071144-aston-villa-tony-xia-new-ow...ge-169.jpg]

On 14 August 2006, it was confirmed that Randy Lerner (aka The Invisible Man, nobody seems to have seen him at Villa Park for years), had reached an agreement of £62.6 million with Aston Villa for a takeover of the club. A statement released on 25 August to the LSE announced that Lerner had secured 59.69% of Villa shares, making him the majority shareholder. He also appointed himself Chairman of the club. In Ellis's last year in charge Villa lost £8.2m before tax, compared with a £3m profit the previous year, and income had fallen from £51.6m to £49m. Lerner took full control on 18 September, as he had 89.69% of the shares. On 19 September 2006, Ellis and his board resigned to be replaced with a new board headed by Lerner. Lerner installed Charles Krulak as a non-executive director and Ellis was awarded the honorary position of Chairman Emeritus.

Lerner put the club up for sale in May 2014, valuing it at an estimated £200 million.

Now given that Mr. Lerner also owns (or owned at the time) the Cleveland Browns NFL franchise, a team famous for winning nowt of any note since who knows when, you have to wonder why Deadly Doug chose him as his successor in the first place and how, after selling off most of Villa's decent talent and recruiting players with a relegation wish, he had apparently grown the club from the £60 million value that he paid for it to a £200 million value that he wanted? Anyway he didn't get it, he's gone and he at least didn't have the cheek to try and rename the Holte End as the Dawg Pound while he was here.

On 18 May 2016, Randy Lerner agreed the sale of Aston Villa to Recon Group, owned by Chinese businessman Dr Tony Jiantong (iddle-eye-po) Xia. (Xia is pronounced somewhat like the way the Geordies pronounce Shear in case you are wondering). The sale was completed on 14 June 2016 for a reported £76 million after being approved by the Football League, with the club becoming part of Recon Group's Sport, Leisure and Tourism division.

Of the 4 clubs in the West Midlands that were up for sale last season, (remember this one from the Brum Fred last season?)

[Image: 4Q3AK-VDCsPnNfRO13n5Gwl0i9WKkrwGb6eeAqqG...13-h510-no]

3 are now in the hands of Chinese "investors" with only The Blues still looking for a buyer.

Hopefully these "investors" from the Orient won't turn out to be as big a set of shysters as the last one that bought Brum City. So never mind the Brum Balti Triangle, we've now got a Triad of Chinese owners down here (or up here for you southern based Town fans - OK ELT?).

What? .... What do you mean they don't like being called a Chinese Triad? OK, I'll think up something else to call them when the 4th one turns up and buys Brum.

Players in/out

Some Villa fans were quick to get on Mr. Xia's back recently when he had a spat on Twatter with our good friend, the clueless Mr. Ian Hollowmouth. (Did I say good friend? How silly of me  Tongue ). Up to that point he seemed less inclined to put his hand in his pocket to spend the promised millions than he was to go into battle on social media. Many fans however appreciate this willingness to engage - something that Lerner was apparently clueless about. He then went and bought Ross McScore-a-lot from Fulham for a reported £12 million. He often scores against us so let's hope he has an off day on Tuesday evening. In total Villa have spent about £32 million so far according to transfermarkt.com and they have recouped about half of that with players sold. Apparently Mr. Tony Xia (or his doppleganger) has also just signed up to this forum - has anyone met him yet?

Old Villans seen in the Departure Lounge at Birmingham Airport since the end of last season

[Image: f38ChMD4i_EalBY3p6rkSiXn1I8UkR5zDWn-Yg1R...47-h601-no]

Some have yet to make it passed airport security while waiting for their agents to dip in their wallets and buy them a ticket to anywhere that plays football.

New Villans collected from the Arrivals Hall so far include

[Image: iN-NexIqG5P0F3Td7sH4P1N04_T-QS8voOOLp1WJ...45-h261-no]

No doubt that door will continue to revolve during the remainder of the August Transfer window.

A strike force of Mr. Gestede and Mr. McScoringboots combined with young talent like Jack Grealish loading the guns for them to shoot can not be taken lightly in this division - just ask Rotherham. I expect Town to be up and at 'em like they were up at Toon on Saturday.

On top of that they've had yet another change of management team - bringing in
Roberto Di Matteo - First Team Manager - former Manager of the much loved(?) Baggies and the much less loved Chelski where he spawned a win of the 2012 Uefa Champions League, beating Bayern Munich in their own midden after Villas-Boas had got the boot.
Steve Clarke - Assistant Manager - also former Manager of the much loved(?) Baggies and more recently Reading
Kevin Bond - First Team Coach - he's never had owt to do with the Baggies that I can find.
[Image: PM2586060.png]

Town Signings

Whilst we know our own Innies and Outies for the benefit of our resident Villan (or is it now Villans?), who will no doubt be reading this thread - here's a link to our list of players that have been found wandering around in the Duty Free Shop at Leeds/Bradford Airport.

Yes, some appear in both lists, it's just how transfermarkt.com works but the one's that have come back from loans have mostly gone back out through the revolving door.

The Rumour Mill has the vultures circling around Nahki Wells at the moment.
[Image: nw10x7256-1287024_478x359.jpg]
I'm not really expecting our revolving door to spin again unless someone makes a really, really stupid offer and with the money some clubs have to play with, somebody just might make that really, really stupid offer before the end of the month. If he does go, and I'd rather he didn't let's hope it happens with enough time for us to replace him. Che Evans just rocked up at The Blues from the Blunts so he's one we won't be getting.

Even including our record signing Schindler coming in at a tad under £2 million,
[Image: christopher-schindler-httv-16-9238-3160183.jpg]
we've spent loose change compared to Villa assembling our squad, such is the combined spending power of their new owner and parachute payments before you even start on season ticket, corporate, gate, merchandise and sponsor's brass. Still, what happens on the pitch is what matters. Toon didn't phase us and I would like to think Villa won't either. Just hope our lads stayed off the Newcy Broon on Saturday night.

Recent form

Neither of us had any worth talking about during the last few weeks of last season, give or take the odd game. So far this season, we looked good for once against Brentford and Villa maybe could have got a point at Wendies in our opening games. Saturday brought a win for both of us, with Villa's 3-0 win against Rotherham perhaps more expected than our 1-2 win against the Toon that appears to have been well deserved from all the reports in the press and fellow town fans ..... and the less said about both teams in The League Cup this season the better.

Villa Park

[Image: 23767d1262591000-up-villa-villa-park.jpg]

One of the best stadiums in the country and top rated by FIFA. Thumb up

How to get there, where the nearest pubs and foody places are, where to park

All in here - http://www.footballgroundguide.com - Villa Park

Note it's reported on several Football Ground Guide websites that some pubs near the ground may charge an entrance fee and then rip you off even more for cold fizzy, tasteless, pale coloured water that they passing off as alcoholic beverages. Maybe take the hint about a few places a weee walk further away. They hadn't updated the ticket prices from last season on this site when I copied the link so ignore that bit, otherwise I can't really add much more to this.

This is Villa's effort. Travel and Parking
They keep referring to a Matchday Transport Map, which if it still exists, it's bloody well hidden on their website.

Some other parking suggestions from me - as t'Wassall lads are away at Chesterfield on Tuesday neet, you could exit the M6 at J9, park at/near Bescott Station or further down the A4031/West Bromwich Road at Tame Bridge Parkway. Return train fare after 18:30 is £2.40 to Witton (same as fare from Brum New Street). You can also park at the Perry Bar Speedway and Pooch Racing stadium at a price, but it is mainly earmarked for Villa fans.

Traffic - expect the worst

Took most of this from the AA Traffic News website on Friday so don't blame me if it all changes by Tuesday.
[Image: aston-expressway.jpg]

Coming down from oop Nooerth
The West Side Story
Between the never ending stuff on the M60/M62 and the recently extended and almost never ending stuff between Knutsford (J19) and Sandbach Services (J17) nigh on a third or more of your journey will be at a maximum of 50 mph. If you take the alternate route round the M60/M56 past Mancy Airport there's 40 mph limits on the A556. In addition there's more road works on the M6 between J8 and J7 southbound.

There's 4 lane running on most of the M6 now from J13 down to J8 and likewise from J4A up to Spaghetti Kunction (J6) for the A38(M) and anywhere else near the stadium. They like to mess around with the speed limits to try and catch you out - well someone has to pay for all this fancy but mostly needless technology so keep your eyes peeled assuming traffic is moving at a speed anywhere close to the limits they are showing. There's new digital speeed camaera's on some gantries. Speed camera's elsewhere in the West Midlands that are on main roads (not motorways) allegedly don't work anymore but ..... you take's your chance and you might be paying your bill.

Tales from the East Side
Going down the M1/A38 or M1/A42/M42 and beyond, most of the works on the M1 from Sheffield to Mansfield are now complete I believe - just watch the speed limits on the overhead gantries. There's roadworks on the A38 just south of Burton. M42 - Narrow lanes and speed restriction of 50 mph due to resurfacing work on M42 Southbound at 7A,8,9 M6.

Coming up from darn Sarf
M1/M6 - Narrow lanes and speed restriction of 50 mph due to construction on M1 Both ways at J19 A14. Works to upgrade the Catthorpe Interchange and up to J1 M6. There's been roadworks on the M1 at Luton ever since the day they opened the bloody thing. M42 seems remarkably free of roadworks at the moment.

M5/M42 - Narrow lanes and speed restriction of 50 mph due to major construction on M5 Both ways between J6 A4538 Pershore Lane and J4A M42. Expect delays. Works to turn this section of motorway into a smart motorway.

If all that isn't enough to piss you off then this will - Entry ramp closed on A38(M) Aston Expressway Both ways at B4132 Aston Expressway. Traffic is unable to join the Aston Expressway from Park Circus as part of the major roadworks which are due to continue until December. Guess which roundabout on the A38(M) is nearest the ground? Yup this one - have fun going home.

Things to do in Brum

Well a lot could depend on how long you are here for. I covered most of it in my Brum City threads so here's a link to the last one. http://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/thread-3435.html It will save me repeating myself.

Hey - enjoy your mid-week visit to Middle England and let's hope for another "League" performance and not a "League Cup" one.

Up the Terriers !!!

[Image: 9iRgExM6T.jpeg]

RE: Match Fred - Villa v Town - WakeyTerrier - 15-08-2016

Sadly we are not attending this game, had it been a Saturday we'd have been there but with Holidays running out for the year and England away on the horizon this is another fixture that has been given the chop.
I literally have no idea what team Wagner will pick, the team on Saturday were excellent but they weren't half knackered after chasing the ball around for long periods on Saturday. I'm thinking Lolley may be dropped to the bench, seemed to be suffering with cramp on Saturday..I do wonder at times if his body is up to the punishment Championship football dishes out

RE: Match Fred - Villa v Town - Lord Snooty - 15-08-2016

Nice one, theo.

Looking forward to this. Got the day off work. Off to the Wetherby Whaler at dinner time then off down to the Villa. A new ground for me. They used to hold FA Cup semi finals there but strangely Town never made it that far.
It'll be the first of the Birmingham grounds too. Never been to the Hawthorns or St Andrews either.

As for the team. Unchanged would be good. If as Wakey suggests,  he leaves Lolley out,  that could cause major sulking. He's a big Villa fan don't ya know.
I don't think Whitehead will jog straight back into the team now he's available. And as always on social media, despite the fact that we've won the first two games, Hudson seems to be the scapegoat for anything that goes wrong. I can't see Herr Wagner dropping him. Not yet anyway.
So long as Mooy is in there, I'll be happy.

I think we could be having a minute's applause tomorrow night. Just heard on the news that former Villa star, Dalian Atkinson has been shot dead by the police. Huh

Only 100 tickets left. Get in quick if you wanna go.

Tasered by the Police, shocking news. May the lad R.I.P.

Good job you're going M'Lord....DAB coverage of the foreseeable future.

So it's either no coverage for you or a trip up to Woolly Edge with the Mrs for some decent reception...just don't disturb the doggers while your cheering the Town goals

RE: Match Fred - Villa v Town - SHEP_HTAFC - 15-08-2016

Great thread theo Thumb up
Yes really not sure of the team for this one. Would Wagner play the same team as for the Newcastle game?
I did think we were struggling at the end fitness wise.
Pack the midfield and try hit them on the break. I'd take a point right now.

Been to Villa Park before but not seen Town there. Saw Villa play Man Utd. Think Sharpe and Giggs scored for Utd that day to take the points.

Anyway, I'm predicting a 2-1 loss for Town, but I'm rubbish at predictions lately.

RIP Dalian Atkinson

There's to be a minute's applause in the 10th minute for Dalian Atkinson.

RE: Match Fred - Villa v Town - Amelia Chaffinch - 15-08-2016

I don't want to be funny but I'm going to be.... before we go around applauding him, what was he suspected of doing?

Just said a domestic incident on the lunch time news. Not heard owt else since. I think we need to know. If he's been doing a Stan Collymore I don't want to applaud him. But until we do know I'll applaud out of respect.

RE: Match Fred - Villa v Town - theo_luddite - 15-08-2016

Local news say he was at his fathers house when the police were called. The police will let the press know what they want them to know in these situations.

I very much doubt it was a Collywobble moment.

Match of the Day's first goal of the season.