Sports Babble - sports forum
DA - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Football (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: English Football Leagues (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: Sky Bet League Two (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=104)
+----- Forum: Chesterfield (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=85)
+----- Thread: DA (/showthread.php?tid=3256)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

DA - bluepooch - 11-10-2015

I cant understand all this criticism of Dave Allen.He has bought us the best 5 years in the history of the club and ok he has made a bad appointment in DS but he will get rid and appoint someone else who will take us forward,Thats football.He has paid for the infrastructure of he club and that will ensure we are always running on a sound footing.

RE: DA - Devongone - 11-10-2015

Supporters are always keen to spend millions of their chairman's perceived money. If supporters want a scalp perhaps they ought to seek out Teflon Turner, his gloves were non-stick in goal and mud never sticks to him as Chief over our lack of other executives.

In truth we haven't replaced our midfield anchor in Ryan, though it was very bad luck to lose Angel so quickly, the invention of Roberts has been lost, the versatility and commitment of Clucas has not been replaced and the effort, athleticism and reliability of Darikwa is being missed both up front and at the back.

Nothing in Dean Saunders' managerial history suggested he would be able to cope with a team shorn of such vital components and we seem to be suffering the proof at the moment. I can understand supporters being dissatisfied. It seems we should have spent money, but the trouble in lower leagues is that the few hundred thousand you get for a Darikwa or a Clucas won't buy you another one. Your most likely sources are a developing player from lower down the pyramid, or an unwisely discarded player from a top academy. You can spend the hundreds of thousands in your pocket, but the players you get tend to come with some kind of warning (otherwise you wouldn't even be in the running).

Much though I was horrified by his arrival I'd give Humphreys the manager's job tomorrow if he were willing, because I think we are going to have Mr Turner in position as long as Mr Allen can stand our supporters ....... so we have to travel down his road.

Our position once we've taken our traditional hammering at Walsall will begin to look desperate, so I think now is the time to consider whether we go with Mr Saunders for the season or change to a new, young manager from within.

RE: DA - Dancingwilldoit - 12-10-2015

I think DA simply realized that he was never going to get his money back making a normal operating profit from CFC. Without the player sales his debt would just keep increasing. Other clubs dangled carrots in front of his nose and he took back a bob or two. IMO the problem isn't down to the loss of certain players, at the start of the season we played some good football and everybody was happy. A couple of bad injuries and suddenly we are on the ropes.
The problem we have is certain players not delivering. SEB has been one of the worst forwards I have seen in a town shirt, he is slow, ponderous and makes Daniel O'Donnell look skillful. Morsy has been very quiet of late, JOS drifts in and out of games - on Sat he might as well not been there and we played with 10 men, our defence is all over the place and nobody seems to be taking charge and driving us on - maybe Morsy should not be captain.
On Sat we didn't play badly. Gillingham were not a good side. We gave away 3 soft goals and it could have been 4 if the woodwork hadn't saved us. Other than that I don't think Tommy made more than 1 save. Our marking at the back was shambolic, for their second goal we had 3 defenders around the man with the ball who still manages to pin point a cross to an unmarked player at the far post and bang the rest is history.
On a good point Rai Simmons looked good and took his goal well and I thought Mani looked good when he came on. The ref was shocking and it was obvious from the first minute that they deliberately targeted Morsy in order to get him to retaliate. Some of their challenges that went un punished were just mind boggling.
Hopefully the return of Gbolly and Novak will make a difference, lets wait and see. Walsall away wont be an easy one.

RE: DA - Devongone - 12-10-2015

O'Shea has played a big part in our decline. He never will be anything like an every-week player, but he can be very good. At the start of the season he was playing very well. Now he's temporarily invisible again. He grabbed a few goals early on and his skill covered some of our shortcomings. He provided an outlet for Morsy and Angel ....... but when he doesn't want to know ........... and he can't help it.

SEB was a worthwhile gamble. He's still young enough if he wants it, but if he doesn't do something roughly now he's going to find himself heading out of league football. We are his last chance. Someone needs to have more than a quiet word.

On Saturday we are at Walsall. We last won there when the Corn Laws were repealed. Despite a fragility matched only by Chris Kirkland we have stuck with Chapman. The defence is failing, let's replace Tommy with Chapman to reinvigorate it. It's not like anyone else is going to come in for Tommy, because he's been harshly dropped. Put the Hump or Talbot in at right back whatever they've got on the left wing. Move O'Neil and Herd into midfield so Morsy can push forward a bit. Put O'Shea on the bench, whatever the rest of the team, if he's going to win the win the match he can do it as well in the last twenty minutes as the other seventy. Leave out SEB completely, no bench, no travel, and make it clear we won't be loaning him out either. Let him chew on it.

Armand played the full 90 at Exeter. His team scored three, he didn't score, but a former England centre forward didn't see fit to sub him either.

RE: DA - Dancingwilldoit - 12-10-2015

The Hump at RB nearly made me choke on my coffee. That's a real no no. Talbot should be there with Hird back in defence. Raglan is very good but he needs to learn about positioning. When he does he will be our next million pound man. Agreed SEB should be dropped. The Hump seems to do a good job for us when played in midfield and would be good cover for Jones running forward. Don't know if hes still got 90 mins in him but IMO hes worth a start. Mani up top with Novak behind him, The Hump on the left and Gboli on the right, Morsy and Herd in the middle with Talbot Hird Evatt and Jones at the back would give us balance and a steady old head on the pitch.

Oh I nearly forgot, you don't drop the player who has saved you from total embarrassment just for the sake of changing things round. Tommy Lee should be the first name on the team sheet.

RE: DA - bluepooch - 12-10-2015

I'm in the tiny minority here actually think SEB did ok on Saturday he held the ball up and looked strong ,he may yet come good and should be perservered with a bit longer.Serious injuries take a lot of getting over .He needs a goal, at least he was getting in the right positions to score.
Saunders has no game plan and hasn't got a style of play ,he's not up to it I'm afraid ,hope I'm wrong.We were spoiled by Cooky.

RE: DA - Devongone - 12-10-2015

It would be very harsh indeed to drop Tommy, but believe me making saves behind a shit defence is easy goalkeeping. It's no- blame keeping.

It is easy to say our defence is at fault, but only one man has changed from last season ........ and he attracted quite a bit of criticism from some quarters (before he improved a Championship defence).

It seems to me this team needs to get the message that no one's place is sacrosanct. And Mr Saunders needs to convince them he's not just filling in for Paul Cook, they are going to do things his way, or not at all. Dropping Tommy wouldn't hurt him, we wouldn't lose him, he reacted brilliantly when previously dropped, and it would give players who are in their comfort zone something to think about. Chapman did okay in Bristol Rovers first team, if he's ever going to make it he has to do it very soon and he'll never do it with his bottom on a bench. Otherwise what's the point in paying him?

If Talbot were fit I'd play him of course, but the conviction seems to be there's something up and when he's physically not right he's a liability. My alternative, if you couldn't live with the vast experience of the Hump, in that position, would be to give Banks the shock of his life and tell him he's playing there.

SEB was always languid and slightly deceptive. It got him goals, but we clearly aren't doing it up front losing 1-3 with a 19 year old debutant outshining the rest. We're into October, SEB should really be delivering.

Like Pooch I wonder if Mr Saunders has the capacity for management. Apparently he left Wolves in total disarray, Crawley hardly seem to have started this season with the building blocks in place, Wrexham are no nearer the league than they were under Mr Saunders, and Donny they're just rise and fall anyway. Our own current plan isn't any more obvious than the legacy at his previous clubs. Like Pooch I hope I'm wrong.

I do think we've reached the point for radical action. Re-positioning the odd deckchair won't help if the Prozac turns out to be the Titanic.

RE: DA - spireitematt - 12-10-2015

This is how I see it.

We've lost most of the squad from last year ok we knew that it would be impossible to keep the squad together because teams from the Championship would always be around our club looking at our players like seagulls around a bag of chips. We've lost probably one of the best managers we've had as well and we've replaced him with a manager with a not very good managerial record and we've brought in players who are injury prone and aren't properly match fit. What I find rather bizarre in the whole process of thisĀ is we didn't interview or speak to any other managers just Saunders. Why?

We've not won a home game since the Barnsley match the whole of September we didn't win a game. I don't expect to win every single game because that's not what being a football supporter is about it would be nice but you have to be realisticĀ if someone wanted a team to win every single game then they should go support Manchester City etc.

The thing which annoys me the most is when we first got promotion to L1 DA said we would finish in a respectable position and then push for promotion the season after meaning this season but what happened was we overachieved last season which was due to Cook working wonders with the players we had and resources etc and this season we haven't replaced the players we've lost or manager and it looks like we won't be pushing for promotion but being in a relegation dog-fight.

When Moyes was United manager they all said does he know what his best XI is? Well I think the same question is applicable to Saunders.

RE: DA - Devongone - 13-10-2015

I agree that Mr Saunders quite obviously doesn't know his best team. He's still tinkering, I don't think Pooch or I object to that, it's the lack of an overall sense of direction that troubles us. Maybe if we achieved mid-table safety temporarily then direction might begin to emerge ....... but like our defence on match days, we seem only to be firefighting. SEB's not working, so we'll get Novak on loan, he's injured and we aren't scoring anyway, let's give the youngsters a go, Gnanduillet's not as good as he was against Crawley, maroon him in the world's most depressing town, Stevenage .........

Bizarrely the Proact has become entirely reactive: driven by circumstance. And that's the issue Mr Saunders need to address. Football management is about dictating circumstance, as well as reacting when shit happens.

That's why I say, do something big. Drop Tommy, or maybe make him captain. Play Evatt centre forward ...... or surprise everyone with Simons and Diesofgoals up front with little Jack Orrell in behind them. Things Cookie might never do. Why? Because if SEB is on his last chance as a league footballer, where does Mr Saunders himself go from here? Personable and intelligent, the after-dinner circuit and media work beckon, but if he fails with us no one will want to give him another chance at management.

Don't go out doing the doggy-paddle Deano, try the effing butterfly! Use O'Shea as your super sub, let Morsy push forward in search of a few goals, when Aryibi's fit give him the ball and tell him to work his socks off because you only expect 70 minutes of pure excitement from him. And play to win, not to be 0-0 and probing after 43 minutes. And if we lose 5-3 at Walsall, take the 3 as the standard for the next home game. Three goals will win you home games ...... probably.

RE: DA - Dancingwilldoit - 13-10-2015

Blue, problem is SEB is supposed to be our main striker. How long do we give him? He had 2 chances on Sat and put 1 well wide with the other well over. At the very least they should have been on target. I've seen nothing in him that suggests he is getting better in fact I see the opposite, earlier in the season he looked like he might be a good addition but of late he just looks past it.
Dev, I agree try something different but if he does and it backfires I can hear the rumblings now. if we lose the next 2 the pressure will be unbearable and he will be gone. I honestly feel sorry for the guy, players sold from under his feet and injury problems with his replacements. He started off well enough and on Sat we didn't play badly knocking the ball around well and could well have won it if SEB had been a bit sharper and our defence hadn't gone on a suicide mission.