Sports Babble - sports forum
BBC Complaint - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Football (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: English Football Leagues (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: National League (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=193)
+----- Forum: Chesterfield (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=85)
+----- Thread: BBC Complaint (/showthread.php?tid=10562)

BBC Complaint - Devongone - 26-07-2021

Today I complained to the BBC about their online coverage of the National League, mentioning that 15 of the last 24 picture reports have concerned Wrexham and that actually underestimates the bias in the coverage as some of the remaining nine are two-line snippets of National League news.

I can understand the editor may be a Wrexham fan, but he or she is not editing the Wrexham website. If signing Mullin and bringing in Hollywood brings them actual success I can only imagine the room that will be given over to the other 22 clubs will be even further reduced.

Wrexham should be an EFL club, but so should several of the rest of us and we are equally deserving of attention.

RE: BBC Complaint - Dancingwilldoit - 26-07-2021

In all honesty I never look at the BBC National League coverage. Its piss poor. If it aint in the Prem it doesnt exist.
Cant believe how much our once proud National Broadcaster has gone downhill in the last 5 or so years. Its a shadow of what it was and has just become a Tory mouthpiece in most cases. There's no objective journalism any more and wo-betide anybody who breaks the rules. Emily Maitlis will be next.

RE: BBC Complaint - spireitematt - 26-07-2021

(26-07-2021, 18:40)Devongone Wrote: Today I complained to the BBC about their online coverage of the National League, mentioning that 15 of the last 24 picture reports have concerned Wrexham and that actually underestimates the bias in the coverage as some of the remaining nine are two-line snippets of National League news.

I can understand the editor may be a Wrexham fan, but he or she is not editing the Wrexham website. If signing Mullin and bringing in Hollywood brings them actual success I can only imagine the room that will be given over to the other 22 clubs will be even further reduced.

Wrexham should be an EFL club, but so should several of the rest of us and we are equally deserving of attention.

Other people have complained about the Wrexham love in as well. They did the same when the Class of 92 took over Salford City. Tik Tok are going to sponsor Wrexham as well as Expedia, Aviation Gin and Ifor Williams and there getting there own documentary which I'm guessing will be on Netflix.

Will there be Americans walking round the states with Wrexham shirts?

There fans had the audacity to moan about us signing players and they are pretty much the Manchester City or Chelsea of the National League.

RE: BBC Complaint - Lord Snooty - 26-07-2021

Well at least Sportsbabble's National League page has been updated, thanks to your complaint, Devon. Thumb up

Dover reinstated and Torquay and Hartlepool swapped back to the correct League.

What's happening with Dover by the way? Are they playing this season?

RE: BBC Complaint - spireitematt - 26-07-2021

(26-07-2021, 21:50)Lord Snooty Wrote: What's happening with Dover by the way? Are they playing this season?

Yeah but apparently there going to be starting on minus points.

RE: BBC Complaint - Devongone - 27-07-2021

The Dover thing defies all logic to me. The usual punishment if a club cannot complete or refuses to complete its fixtures is to be kicked out of the league.

I suppose they didn't want to do that to Dover because of Covid. So because Dover couldn't afford to continue playing they've been fined £40,000 they apparently don't have and have been deducted 12 points in an enormously competitive division, which almost certainly condemns them to relegation as any fan-interest they have created over the years drains away when the mountain they have to climb becomes obvious. Wrexham has Hollywood, Dover has an idea for a script jotted on the back of an old fag packet.

Extending some sort of fake kindness to Dover turns out to be similar to a slow and painful death. I hope I'm wrong and that they are in the right place to enlist a bit of Dunkirk spirit.

My issue with the BBC is really that it is so lazy. Obviously no-one actually checks the National League content on the website ............. like ever. It has been basically a Wrexham website for ages. Chesterfield briefly captured a few stories back when we had loudmouth Martin Allen in charge, because everything he said or did made the news, because he put it out there. Finding Chesterfield content required no journalistic or investigative skills, simply cut and paste. Wrexham for a Wrexham fan takes no work. Pictures look pretty. Fits the space. No-one checks. And if you are York City or Chester ....... well the city walls are working nicely ....... no one's gonna find anything out about you are they?

There are hundreds of examples of the same lax attitude on TV and across web content. Standards are low. Take Athletics as an example, the coverage is pathetic. Now Mo Farah's dead, we have three athletes in the country, Dina Asher-Smith, Laura Muir and KJT. If anybody else is going to get some coverage they have to win a gold medal and if you are an up-and-coming athlete, maybe making your first breakthrough to senior ranks you'd better break a British record, or nobody will get to hear about you. If you are a fan of a sport the BBC website is a good place to find out what you already know. John Cleese called it the bleedin' obvious.

RE: BBC Complaint - Lord Snooty - 27-07-2021

Have you heard back from your complaint yet?

It got acknowledged. I get the impression these things take time ........ whilst they hope you forget or die.