Sports Babble - sports forum
TOKYO OLYMPICS - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Other Sports (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Other...... (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+--- Thread: TOKYO OLYMPICS (/showthread.php?tid=10555)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: TOKYO OLYMPICS - Lord Snooty - 31-07-2021

(31-07-2021, 13:26)Amelia Chaffinch Wrote: Dina Asher-Smith ... waste of a place. Not good enough. I'm sick of the excuses.

A bit harsh. She won the World Championships a couple of years ago. She's been injured. Sad

A Jamaican 1-2-3. I don't think Dina would've medalled there even if she was fit.

RE: TOKYO OLYMPICS - Amelia Chaffinch - 31-07-2021

I don't agree. If she knew she was injured and supposed to be out for 3 months, she should have stepped down and let someone else go.

RE: TOKYO OLYMPICS - theo_luddite - 31-07-2021

Given we only entered two women, that wouldn't have happened.

Even so, a waste of money sending her. I am unanimous in that!

We'll have taken enough 4 x oners. Surely one of them could have made the grade?

RE: TOKYO OLYMPICS - ritchiebaby - 31-07-2021

A bit harsh on Dina there, Amelia. She thought she had a medal chance, the team obviously thought she had a medal chance, so it was right for her to travel. I can understand why she got her explanation in first, though. Admittedly I could have done without the emotional performance, but that sort of thing is just not my style.

I think the qualification times are harder for an individual athlete compared to relay squad athletes. You could argue that it was a waste of money sending half the team because they didn't have a realistic medal chance.

A bad couple of days for Djokovic. Lost again today so he misses the medals altogether. Then pulled out of the Mixed Doubles meaning his partner missed out as well.
That's not how Olympic team work works, Novak. If you haven't the fitness to play two matches in the day, pull out of the singles. They're all three set matches in this so what are you losing?
Very selfish. Should've had a look over at the GB camp and seen what Andy Murray did when he had a slight niggle. Pulled out of the singles to commit to getting Joe Salisbury a medal. Which didn't work out in the end but that's the Olympic spirit.

And petulanly smashing a racquet and throwing another into the empty seats isn't a good look either.

(31-07-2021, 15:37)Amelia Chaffinch Wrote: I don't agree. If she knew she was injured and supposed to be out for 3 months, she should have stepped down and let someone else go.

Sounds to me like her coach pulled her out of the 200. And the 3 months diagnosis was the original one, which she subsequently got a second opinion for. That turned out to be showing she didn't have a tear and so surgery wasn't needed.
To say this was just six weeks ago, shows how well she's done to get this far and as a genuine medal prospect, had every right to give it a go.

Just listened to her again and it was a tear, not a rupture. The rupture would've needed surgery.

I still think track athletes are whiney.

(31-07-2021, 20:52)Amelia Chaffinch Wrote: I still think track athletes are whiney.

Laugh

Right. Next question. Why do female boxers wear helmets but the males don't?

And I said that about Andy Murray in the car today. Plagiarist.  Tongue

It's all relative with my comments about paying for her to go. She's done a couple of 100 metres and crashed out. Yes, you could say that about Jade Jones but she's already proved herself at TWO Olympic Games and I think a taekwondo match is a lot more effort than a 100m. (Despite the fact that that sprinters talk like it's more effort than anything else on earth.) AND I doubt that Jade Jones is paid as much to be a professional athlete. Although I'm sure she will have got serious sponsorship, etc after getting gold at 2 Olympics. I see the sprinters in the same light as Mark Foster. We used to pay to send him to do one length and it was a waste of time. He ended up cuddling everyone else when they needed support so basically we were paying him to be the chief cuddler.

Beth Shriever crowdfunded to get to the games. Even if you don't approve of BMX being an Olympic sport, no one can doubt that it's a really hard sport. Injuries are a possibility everytime they go on the track and it's really tough physically. I don't happen to think what Dina Asher-Smith does is anything like as dangerous and hard work as that, yet you get the sob stories. Never mind, she can carry on selling yogurts.