Sports Babble - sports forum
TOKYO OLYMPICS - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Other Sports (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Other...... (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+--- Thread: TOKYO OLYMPICS (/showthread.php?tid=10555)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: TOKYO OLYMPICS - ritchiebaby - 30-07-2021

Snooty, throwing money at things is never the answer. Rowing has had huge funding over the years and we're getting worse. Gold and Silver in the BMX races overnight and they got very little in comparison, in fact Beth Schriever had to have private funding to get the experience and results to make the Olympic programme. Another athlete might have given up and be lost to the nation.

PS Your final throwaway sentence shows the root of the problems.

RE: TOKYO OLYMPICS - Amelia Chaffinch - 30-07-2021

The excuses are already coming out in the athletics, mainly from the commentators and presenters. My patience for these privileged athletes reduces at every championship. And most of the track and field athletes are very wealthy due to the funding and sponsorship deals. I maintain that a lot of success comes from striving. Money isn't the be all and end all. Paula Ratcliffe gets to live in Monaco for Christ's sake. I know she was an amazing athlete but she wasn't a huge success when running for country. She did much better when there was a massive Diamond League payoff, or whatever there was then. I'm expecting nothing from the track and field to avoid disappointment. Rant over.

Anyway we managed a bronze in the men's 8s.

And another first in the men's 200 backstroke with Luke Greenbank getting a bronze. Last time was 1908. His smile lit up the arena.

And Duncan Scott got a silver in the men's 200m individual medley. He's having a good Olympics.

I think you have to say the GB women's football team threw it away. At 2-2 we missed a penalty which I think we were lucky to get. Up to that point we were having a good spell. We ended up going 4-2 down. Ellen White got a hattrick but it wasn't enough. We lost 4-3.

Belgium v GB in the hockey was like Huddersfield v Barnsley on the last day of the season in 2013. Both sides wanted a draw to avoid playing Australia next as far as I could gather. Bizarre. Opposing players were having friendly chats during minimal attempts at play. India next in the QF.

RE: TOKYO OLYMPICS - Amelia Chaffinch - 31-07-2021

GOLD Mixed Triathlon Relay - Learmonth, Brownlee, Taylor-Brown, Yee

RE: TOKYO OLYMPICS - St Charles Owl - 31-07-2021

(31-07-2021, 02:03)Amelia Chaffinch Wrote: GOLD Mixed Triathlon Relay - Learmonth, Brownlee, Taylor-Brown, Yee

How does that event work? Trial talon is 3 events - swim, bike, run, ho w do they incorporate a 4th person into that?

It goes woman, man, woman, man. Each does a 300m swim, 8km cycle and 2km run. They tag the next one. I thought "eh" when they were describing it before the start but it does become obvious.

(31-07-2021, 02:40)Amelia Chaffinch Wrote: It goes woman, man, woman, man. Each does a 300m swim, 8km cycle and 2km run. They tag the next one. I thought "eh" when they were describing it before the start but it does become obvious.

Ok, I suppose that makes sense that they all have to do each discipline. I assume the first one completes all three parts and then hands over to the next for their three parts?

Yes, that's right, they all do each discipline just shorter than in an individual Triathlon. The first swim starts in the usual way but after tagging the next one, they do a running dive into the water. That's the only difference. I suppose our tactics were to start with Learmonth because she always wins her swim and finished with Yee whose strongest is the run. It worked a treat anyway!

GOLD and WR 4 x 100 mixed medley relay Dawson, Peaty, Guy, Hopkin

(31-07-2021, 05:27)Amelia Chaffinch Wrote: GOLD and WR 4 x 100 mixed medley relay Dawson, Peaty, Guy, Hopkin

We are good at the mixed events it would seem!! I liked the fact that in this race you could go in any order, male or female, made for an interesting race that changed a lot.

Dina Asher-Smith ... waste of a place. Not good enough. I'm sick of the excuses.