Sports Babble - sports forum
TOKYO OLYMPICS - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Other Sports (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Other...... (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+--- Thread: TOKYO OLYMPICS (/showthread.php?tid=10555)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: TOKYO OLYMPICS - Amelia Chaffinch - 04-08-2021

Does anyone think Denise Lewis has anything useful to say? Jess Ennis and Michael Johnson have much better replies when asked a question.

RE: TOKYO OLYMPICS - Lord Snooty - 04-08-2021

I don't mind her. Don't know why her and Jess are on the same panel though. They both did the same event, didn't they. Blush

I enjoy Ed Leigh's commentaries. He does the kids stuff like the BMX and Skateboarding. Some of the terminology in the Kids Playground event today was amusing. "Ally oop" being an official sporting term. Laugh

RE: TOKYO OLYMPICS - ritchiebaby - 04-08-2021

But remember Jess and Denise are experts on seven totally different athletic events. Must save the BBC some money.

RE: TOKYO OLYMPICS - Amelia Chaffinch - 05-08-2021

GOLD - omnibumbum - Matt Walls

[Image: maxwall_02.jpg]

Liam Heath got a bronze in 200m men's kayak earlier.

RE: TOKYO OLYMPICS - Lord Snooty - 05-08-2021

Laugh

RE: TOKYO OLYMPICS - Amelia Chaffinch - 05-08-2021

4 left in women's pole vault including GB's Bradshaw. Odds on us coming a plucky 4th? 4.85 next height to clear.

Down to 3... we will get a medal.

It's bronze for Holly Bradshaw. It's a good result.

I think there's a bit of an alpha male contest going on in the decathlon javelin. Who can scream loudest and longest whilst fist pumping.

RE: TOKYO OLYMPICS - Devongone - 05-08-2021

Watching Olymps has raised a few questions with me. For all the hours of Denise Lewis no-one gets to say anything controversial do they? Over to you Jess, KJT ruptured her achilles late last year, were you expecting her to challenge for a medal?

I noticed Elaine Thompson-Herah again was left to celebrate her gold medal virtually alone after breezing the 200. No-one seems to voice the question on my lips that only a few weeks ago she was struggling both with injury and form (apparently), now she is suddenly back after some time also exploring the athletics wilderness to chasing the times that killed Flo-Jo. If the Jamaicans don't win the relay final you won't need a second guess for who carries the can.

Similarly Jacobs, in a world in which both racing and testing have been thrown into disarray, has been able to metamorphose from second-best Italian sprinter to Olympic Champion having added more muscle than the butcher's dog. Is this mere happenstance?

Holly Bradshaw was pushed down into third by an athlete from the ROC, which is not Republic of China. Now I'm prepared to believe Siderova could be a straight athlete and outside the Russian state programme, but all athletes are supported by coaches and advisors from their country. Aren't they the ones who presided over the doping programme and precisely the people who should be nowhere near Tokyo or athletics? The athletes get punished for allowing grown-up influential officials to pump them full of drugs, the officials take a short holiday or change jobs.

Noticeably British cyclists without the influence of those they condemned as abusers and those later almost implicated in professionalised drug-taking in pro' cycling have their more mediocre achievements explained by the rest of the world catching up.

Equally we outrowed the world until these Olympics. The change of regime is getting the blame. Are our rowers too educated and Oxbridge-blue to have got there by anything more than training and Dunkirk-spirit alone? Did no-one notice that our Svengali was East German?

Zharnel Hughes is one of my favourite athletes. Last year I read he was training to be a pilot. After his start in the 100 final, would you want him announcing he was preparing for take-off?

Why do all decathletes look exactly the same? Only Pierce Lepage looked a bit different, so no medal for him. The rest, paint them any colour and let them scream at the camera. Too few twitch muscles to be a sprinter, too muscly for the long jump, too heavy for the high jump, too prone to lactic for the 1500, not quite the flexibility for the javelin, not stylish enough for the 400 ........ and so it goes, face like a former Ivy-Leaguer, tried out for Quarterback ......... girls look but don't touch. Jeez.

RE: TOKYO OLYMPICS - Lord Snooty - 05-08-2021

Some interesting points there, Devon.

RE: TOKYO OLYMPICS - Amelia Chaffinch - 06-08-2021

Bronze for Team GB in women's hockey.

RE: TOKYO OLYMPICS - Lord Snooty - 06-08-2021

Brilliant GOLD for Katie Archibald and Laura Kenny in the Madison.