Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Four One
Four one. I just wanted to say the words. Four one.

A couple of years ago, when teams were sauntering through our midfield at will both Dancing and I suggested putting a defender into midfield. We suggested Sam Hird or Laurence Maguire. We mentioned Maguire because he could tackle and liked to try to use the ball. Now it seems to have happened. I wonder what the opinion is of him in this new role.

I suggested it on Bob's at the time Dancing and I were talking about it and as I remember the idea was generally laughed out of court.
Didnt go Sat Dev but 2 goals in the last couple of minutes against a team already down?
By all accounts it wasnt pretty and could well have ended a draw, but a defending midfielder to me has always made sense as it protects the back 2 (who are not quick in our case) and lets the rest of the midfield push up more. Maguire has got a good pass in him and the other week his chip over the defence for Denton to head in would have been raved about on match of the day had it been in the prem.
If its the way forward then great but Sheridan was always a 4-4-2 man and I think his current way of thinking was forced on him by available players.
P.S. Dont press Post twice
Big Bore Exhaust = Small Dick
It is this ridiculous SQL error thing I think. You press post, wait, nothing happens at all no message nothing, finally you press again it says waiting for SportsBabble then two posts appear.

I've deleted one.
I'm sure you're right Dancing about Sheridan's discovery of Maguire's versatility being accidental. On the other hand I think it is a very good thing to have a defender who can push into that role, or just use the ball from the back ...... and if we could I'd sign another in Brundle from Dover. And yes a defender in front of the centre backs does make their lack of pace immaterial.

I think that as we were safe, Maidstone already being down would be fairly irrelevant. The truth is surely that, like this entire division, Maidstone aren't much worse than the rest. They seem to have a few dangerous players and some potential weaknesses ........ and have been let down by their home record. At this stage they look a good bet to come straight back up whatever decision the National League makes on what constitutes north and south.

I was just glad we scored from open play and that even with another strange random selection from Sheri we were able to register a W. But like you I find the messages from team selection mixed and confusing. On current form we are the second best team in the league, so onlookers must be quietly fancying us for next season. But I have a feeling that what is on offer at the moment is likely to have no bearing at all on how we line up next season.
Can't remember the last time we scored 4 goals. Those were the days, we thought they would never end.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
We beat Basford 5-1 in the FA Trophy as I recall, Matt.

As far as the league is concerned I think the last time was 2 April 2016; we beat Port vale 4-2.
Devongone likes this post
Oh I love it Saltergate, the Stat Man outstatted ...... and that of course is exactly as things should be Bagpuss. (I never rated Bagpuss, too twee and middle-class for real children?)

To be fair to us, quite a lot of impressive margin wins really only become impressive in the last ten minutes of a game. Ask Huddersfield who several times seem to have been a goal down with not too long left on the clock and have finished the game on the end of what has suddenly turned into a hiding.

Sharing Matt's sentiments I too had begun to think we'd never see a four or five again.
Trust me Dev, I would never in a million years presume to even try to outstat Matt; I just thought it was an interesting question so decided to look it up on the interweb thingy.

I don`t know if I`ve been overdoing the medication, but I`m feeling optimistic enough to think that we may see a few more 4s or 5s next season. As you say, we`ve been top or thereabouts of the form tables for quite a while now and I`m still holding on to what one of the commentators said a couple of weeks ago when he compared our season this year with Leyton Orient`s last.

I`ll go and have a lie down now.
We are certainly following the Orient model at the moment ......... except the getting new ownership part ........ which might be relevant.

It's a good thing to keep Matt on his toes statswise and its good to hear that some of us can still do a bit of research on the interthingy.

I don't know whether to allow myself to become briefly hopeful over next season. There are a few green shoots appearing amongst the debris, but at this stage it's hard to tell wheat from weeds.

The name Joe Anyon alone is enough to make me reach for the Roundup.
(17-04-2019, 18:35)Devongone Wrote: We are certainly following the Orient model at the moment ......... except the getting new ownership part ........ which might be relevant.

It's a good thing to keep Matt on his toes statswise and its good to hear that some of us can still do a bit of research on the interthingy.

I don't know whether to allow myself to become briefly hopeful over next season. There are a few green shoots appearing amongst the debris, but at this stage it's hard to tell wheat from weeds.

The name Joe Anyon alone is enough to make me reach for the Roundup.

I don't know these stats from the top of my head, I have to google them, it's pretty easy Dev just use Wikipedia or 11vs11.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY