Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP Banksey
RIP Gordon thanks for the memories.
Positional genius.
Naturally gifted with strong hands.
An almost apologetic stance on saving the unsaveable. 
All round humble ambassador for the game. 
Simply the UK's best ever keeper.
Greatest goalkeeper I've ever seen. Him and Pat Jennings were just magnificent. I have a wry smile when I see some of today's keepers being lauded for their refusal to come for crosses outwith the six yard line and for their inability to catch even the most innocuous shot but have to parry everything. Watch Banks and Jennings and you get to see absolute brilliance.
Phil Penn likes this post
I wasn’t around when he was playing but I’ve seen the footage of him including his save against Pele. I was a goalkeeper as a kid and my Dad always used to tell me about Banks and his play style and in my opinion current goalkeepers are nowhere near what his level was.

RIP.
Agree with all that's been said above; the man was a naturally gifted keeper. To be FIFA gk of the year I think for 7 consecutive years - in an era when there were many, many fine keepers about - says it all.

Well, nearly - I've heard before today that GB was a lovely, modest and gentle person, and that is perhaps a greater statement, seeing as he was just so damn good. .
This man WAS a legend.
RIP Gordon.

(I read today that after "that" save, Alan Mullery went up to him, ruffled his hair and said "why didn't you catch it?"!!
R.I.P. Banksey thanks for the memories!!! Peace dove

What might he have achieved if he had been playing for one of the 'big six' today?
Some days I'm top dog, most days I'm just the lamp post.
Like Josh, didn't see him play, his reputation went before him and a true legend of the game and for England. It's always a shame when somebody passes away, but when people of his ilk and that era go, it makes you stop and look at mortality, a sad day for all connected to him and the footballing world.
RIP Gordon, may your memories last a lifetime.

COYB
RIP England’s Number 1

After all if most of us had to pick an all time England 11 he’d be in Goal.
BLACK COUNTRY BY BIRTH, ALBION BY THE GRACE OF GOD AND MY OLD MAN

You go in the cage? cage goes in the water, sharks in the water....Our Shark Cry

Ultrinque Paratus
Memory problem complicates fans opinions on who is thought to be "the best" at least we are blessed with recorded games and highlights now. Banksey's save against Pele was thought to.be his finest - honesty people thought it was a fluke. He did several saves like that when he scooped it up.over the bar. Especially from penalties. It was no fluke. Our best and a true legend.
BaggieSteve likes this post
(13-02-2019, 11:20)Phil Penn Wrote: Memory problem complicates fans opinions on who is thought to be "the best" at least we are blessed with recorded games and highlights now. Banksey's save against Pele was thought to.be his finest - honesty people thought it was a fluke. He did several saves like that when he scooped it up.over the bar. Especially from penalties. It was no fluke. Our best and a true legend.

Phil, is MY memory playing tricks, or am I right in thinking that GB saved a penalty taken by non other than Geoff Hurst in a Wembley final (must've been the League Cup)? GH never placed his penalties; vaguely left or right but hit at about 200mph, and he really leathered this one giving GB about 0.00001 sec to react...
.... which he did!
Amazing keeper Thumb up Thumb up Thumb up
I think it was the semi-final and this is footage of the save, similar but better then the "Pele" save IMO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0c0WIL3fGs
drewks likes this post