Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 - Future
The current season is already looking as though we have settled for no promotion challenge.
With the club signing older players, this will have a direct impact on replacements required at the end of the current season.
Darren is going to find himself with a bigger job then this year with less money.
Suggested players to leave / retire
Retire Myhill, Brunt, Mozza, Mears, Hoolahan, Barry 
Loanee's Gayle, Barnes 
Transfers J Rod, Gibbs, Dawson, Rondon, Nyom
I hope he makes a couple of quality signings in the January window with these things in mind.
The first thing that needs to change is the owner!!!!

He was open at the start about loving the Premier League and saw it as the way to get a start on his rivals in China in establishing a top league there. Since then we have been relegated and the majority of our player assets have been sold off, only to be replaced with pensioners and loanee's , that after releasing our own established pensioners. It is clear there is no money coming forward from the owner, who lost his interest as soon as we lost our status.

I dare say he will wait until he can cash in on Dawson and Rod, then put the club up for sale. (I have not included Rondon as, isn't his contract up at the end of this season, though we may have a year in the clubs favour)
I think we will have to wait until January to really know what the future holds.

I don't want to slate the owner as yet, because although summer transfer dealings were terrible, it was a really strange window this year where lots of teams were caught short. I know we definitely put in a significant bid in for Reid from Bristol City and if the paper talk about Dack was true (not sure about this one) we might have a few quid to spend in January.

The reluctance to sell Rodriguez and Dawson - which actually could be massive mistakes, especially Rodriguez as Burnley offered way above his true value IMO - seem to suggest there is at least (some) desire to compete. Albeit, compete with a squad that has little room for injury and with a significantly decreased wage budget.

However, if come January we don't spend anything and the Chadli money disappears into the ether, we will know exactly where the land lies.

I just hope is that we are in the play off mix come January, because if we're not, the owner will probably be too scared to spend even if the money is there and we will struggle to attract players anyway. What I've seen of our performances so far, I'm not holding my breath. I just hope that the lack of any real quality teams in the division means everyone will beat each other and we'll somehow still be in the mix.

If we're not in the shake up, I guess we can expect sales of anyone that's worth a few bob (plus old heads being released) and replace them with freebies / cheap options. When it comes to this, success really depends on the ability of the person identifying the players to spot a bargain. Given our transfers in the last couple of years, I'd say we could expect another few decades of obscurity until we're lucky enough to find another Dan Ashworth type.

Football is just a big cycle and we've gone back 15 years due to poor management and boardroom decisions. Amazing what a few p*ss poor signings and terrible managerial appiontments can do.

The funny thing is, the year we were relegated we actually did spend quite a lot on wages and fees. We had Gibbs and Krychowiak from Arsenal and PSG on huge wages and then invested a £15m on the young prodigy Oliver Burke from Leipzig. Just goes to show that spending doesn't equal success if you've got mugs buying the players and picking the team.

Oh and then we employed Pardew...

It's been coming over a few years though, we've all been saying for years that the likes of McAuley, Olsson, Brunt, Mozza needed replacing with like for like quality. They have either gone and not been replaced (see how Olsson was ushered out mid season, so people forgot about replacing him), replaced with terrible quality or remain at the club, but a shadow of what they used to be.

The reality is, we've been a shambles since Ashworth left really. We've been making ridiculous decisions at board level for several years and riding our luck. They just seem to be getting worse as well.

Employing Darren Moore was another huge gamble by the brain of Britain who makes the decisions at the club, whoever that is. I appreciate the media would've slated us given his run at the end of last season, but anyone actually watching could see that these games didn't tell us much except that the players clearly hated Pardew. Usually teams don't gamble in the seasons when they are receiving parachute payments, but we decided to take a punt.

So probably obscurity awaits... for a few years, at least... but we will see in January.
Phil Penn and BaggieSteve like this post
Slick I would agree with you apart from a few obvious areas. Yes as you say we had an awful summer window, but Lai purchased the club in July 16. Although some 'good' signings were made during that time, they were not good for us. From the top of the tree downwards, senior personnel appointed and sacked. Not one person I can remember who though appointing Pardew was a good idea, yet he was appointed manager. High wage players were brought in, who obviously never wanted to play for lowly Albion, nor did they, one costing us £4 million for the equivalent of a game or two.

Lai had the opportunity to put all of this right in the closed season and what happened, a string of players left the club, we said, OK, assuming that they would be replaced and yes we spent on a few players, none who would make it anywhere near the Prem. The only players who would (one:- I have seen nothing from Adarabioyo that makes me think he is the quality Man City would expect) are on loan. We release one 37 year old CB with a great love of the club, then bring in another who is 37 and another not far off. The most obvious need we have a creative midfielder, was ignored totally. I do not except the argument there are no players in the whole world, if the scouting network is working and the money is there, there will be players available.

I feel for big Dave, I don't know if he is up to the challenge, I don't think we will find out either, as I doubt even 'The Chosen One' could get an assured promotion playoff with this group.
(15-09-2018, 23:09)Salopbaggie Wrote: Slick I would agree with you apart from a few obvious areas.  Yes as you say we had an awful summer window, but Lai purchased the club in July 16.  Although some 'good' signings were made during that time, they were not good for us.  From the top of the tree downwards, senior personnel appointed and sacked.  Not one person I can remember who though appointing  Pardew was a good idea, yet he was appointed manager.  High wage players were brought in, who obviously never wanted to play for lowly Albion, nor did they, one costing us £4 million for the equivalent of a game or two.

Lai had the opportunity to put all of this right in the closed season and what happened, a string of players left the club, we said, OK, assuming that they would be replaced and yes we spent on a few players, none who would make it anywhere near the Prem.  The only players who would (one:- I have seen nothing from Adarabioyo that makes me think he is the quality Man City would expect) are on loan.  We release one 37 year old CB with a great love of the club, then bring in another who is 37 and another not far off.  The most obvious need we have a creative midfielder, was ignored totally.  I do not except the argument there are no players in the whole world, if the scouting network is working and the money is there, there will be players available.

I feel for big Dave, I don't know if he is up to the challenge, I don't think we will find out either, as I doubt even 'The Chosen One' could get an assured promotion playoff with this group.

Agreed with your points. Footballing decisions have been largely baffling.

When I said I don't want to slate the owner, I was referring to from a cash point of view really. I feel that last season we invested more than ever before, but it was invested really poorly. Whoever gave Pulis free reign obviously didn't take note of what he did when he had an open cheque book at Stoke.

Clearly Lai doesn't have a clue from a footballing point of view but he's had people in place to make footballing decisions. Unfortunately the numerous people making footballing decisions during his tenure have all made a hash of it.

John Williams and Nicky Hammond made really poor decisions last season, but whether or not the blame can be put on Lai for those 2 being given that power is debatable. From Memory, Williams was Jeremy Peace's choice and clearly didn't have a clue. Those 2 have since been dismissed but whoever made the footballing decisions since seems just as inept.

I think Lai has been very poorly advised and the structure of the club is a farce now.

The only possible saviour is that the 'remains' of the squad *should* be good enough to be around the play offs if they are well managed. However, if Moore continues to pick square pegs in round holes, we have no chance.

That said, it was the same person who picked Moore as manager is the same person who decided to dismantle the squad without any replacements lined up. So just another mistake to add to the long list.
Salopbaggie likes this post
Just a few points to add on ...
Dean Smith
Brentford
2nd Whistle
Zinman & Bomber's Carer !!!
I have always indicated I will support DM and review his personal performance come October.
No other manager could have assembled a better squad as no financial support has been forth coming.
I will reserve my comments on Dave until he has had a fair chance to demonstrate he is the man for the job.
Future transfer funding - we had a transfer surplus of approx £12 million after Chadli escaped.
If we could recoup the £8 million we spent on the Chinese Wonder Kid Zhang Yuning that would leave us a healthy £20 million.
Odd why we signed Zhang as he is not allowed to play in the UK? all a little cloak and dagger - what do my colleagues on here think about this signing?
Phil the club did not buy him,
Lai funded the move himself nothing to do with the club apart from a bit of Chinese PR.!!
Zinman & Bomber's Carer !!!
(19-09-2018, 15:48)Beefy 1965 Wrote: Phil the club did not buy him,
Lai funded the move himself nothing to do with the club apart from a bit of Chinese PR.!!

i'm not sure about that - I know he's an official WBA player and was seen signing a 3 year contract wearing the blue/white shirt.
I think he was pictured with Garlick at the time. I have it in my mind the fee was £8M but I can't remember where I read that.
WBA were hoping he would return to China at a higher fee and they could take the profit? None of it appears to make sense?
He could not play for us so it's a mystery? Its an expensive PR exercise.