Thread Rating:
Enjoyed that.
We were the better team and really should have won that one. The ref was diabolical, missed one blatant pen and 2 more that a good ref would have given.
Maguire was just immense and my mom.
The whole team stepped up a gear and we were far better than Wrexham who were very lucky to finish with 11 players on the field. If they had ended it with 9 it would have been about right.
We looked far stronger at the back when Evans went off at half time so hopefully MA will stick with the team and formation we ended with.
Amanchi got 40 mins which was great to see, he was unlucky not to score.
We played some great football. The game really was a good one and I hope we have turned that corner at last.
The Blues are on the way back Up.
Big Bore Exhaust = Small Dick
Spot on, Dancing.

That was the best game I`ve seen at the Proact this season by a long way (although I didn`t know that you and Laurence Maguire were blood-relatives, I must admit.) If only we`d been able to play like that for the past couple of months! The atmosphere was great as well, aided and abetted by 1,500 or so noisy sheep-shifters. Mind you, being half-Welsh myself I`ve got to be careful what I say on that subject.

I said a few weeks ago that I thought there was a decent team in there trying to get out; maybe it`s finally emerging into the daylight.
Dancing and I have been advocating Laurence Maguire for two years minimum ...... but every time there's been a defensive error Loz seems to be the one who doesn't start the next game.

Despite ourselves we may have produced three real players in Maguire, Rowley and Amantchi if we handle them in the right way.

But Sutton away in two days time illustrates why this is a mad and extraordinarily stretching league . They've had a great win at Hartlepool, we strained every sinew to just miss out against Wrexham and now we play each other with barely a rest. It has to be a match neither club really wants on a Tuesday night.
I`ve just had a look at the Wrexham fans` forum; it`s sometimes interesting to hear how the opposition sees things.

They`ve looked at things very much from their own perspective - obviously - and generally feel that they gave away 2 points by sitting back too much in the second half and giving us the freedom to play. There may be something in that. Somebody also made the point that we looked a far better team when we took off `the big lump up front` (Denton, presumably) and replaced him with Hines. There may be something in that as well. Almost universally they acknowledge that they were outplayed in the second half, but on the whole put that down to their own shortcomings as much as our play. Par for the course for most football fans, I suppose, but I was quite surprised at the level of negativity towards one or two of their own players, given their league position.

Somebody made the very valid point, I thought, about our slowly coming to terms with the nature of this league and finding our feet, to the extent that the Proact could be a difficult place to come in the next few months so this might prove to be a point earned rather than 2 lost. All very envious of the ground.

Apparently, there was quite a lot of trouble at the end of the match and after. (Personally, I didn`t see any of it; as is my wont, I just waddled back to the Lock Keeper, got in the car and drove home.) A lot bemoaning the behaviour of their idiot fringe - we`ve all been there, haven`t we - and concerned that there might be a fine for the `pitch invasion`, such as it was, after their goal and the flare that was thrown. A few of them reckon they saw Smith make a gesture towards their supporters after our goal and one of our stewards punch one of them in the scuffle that followed. May or may not be true, but not good if it is.

Anyway, I reckon that was the most promising performance we`ve put on this season and I just hope there`s more to come in the same vein. Good to see the appreciation from the crowd at the end as well; they certainly deserved it. Is it my imagination that Maguire looked far more assured in the second half when we took Evans off and changed the shape of the team? Or was it that he wasn`t under so much pressure once Wrexham sat back and played on the counter-attack? He certainly has qualities that our other centre-backs don`t; I can`t see any of the others being able to produce a cross of the quality that brought the goal; they would probably have put the ball over the stand.

I promise not to make any more comments, Dancing, (well, not after this one anyway) about your suggestion that LM is not only a blood relative bit also trans-gender. It puts an image in my mind that I really would prefer wasn`t there.

Anyway, a good point well earned and hopefully it`s now onwards and upwards - ish.
And stuff Billericay when you play them
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Laurence Maguire might not be the first trans gender footballer SGB but it would be more than a bloody miracle if he was my mother. She's 92 by the way.
Big Bore Exhaust = Small Dick
Good for her, Dancing. Tell her to keep carrying that bat until she makes the century. She can take `em in singles.

By the way, Mac, what have Billericay done to upset you?

Going to sit down now with a can of beer - or several - and watch Lewis bring in no.5, hopefully. If I were him, I`d stay well out of the way of Herr Vettel and 2 red bovines.
Billericay the epitome of a plastic club paying Jamie O'Hara 35000 per week to play at level 7 and then there is their owner
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Fair enough.
themaclad likes this post
We do like Jamie O'Hara at Chesterfield. One of those loans who played as if he was really one of ours.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »