Thread Rating:
9 Up
(12-08-2018, 12:30)Devongone Wrote: Well, we attracted the top crowd in the division.

Yes SB, Whits is still playing, was consistently a star in this league last season and is now trying to keep Macclesfield in Division Two.

Our midfield didn't function yesterday and as the rumour is we are about to loan out Joe Rowley and we didn't put Wedgbury on again until the last ten minutes or so,  well  er ......... Discuss.

12/1 against Halifax doesn't look the height of generosity when you notice they'll be travelling over the pennines to an increasingly desperate Salford on Tuesday night. I like a bet, I like Halifax and surrounds as a place, Jamie Fullarton is an interesting young manager and they have a captain who is an ex-Spire, but they've got a thin squad and no great resources, so to win this thing they'll need everything to go right for a long time.

From reports so far Zavon Hines is our attacking threat. Last season and an up-and down career raise the question how long this can continue. And of course if it doesn't will we sign someone similar to give the squad a similar boost?

I'm delighted Dancing got it right and we got our 9 points (I was hoping for 4 or 5), but I've got worries or questions. Lee Shaw was signed for his goals, under pressure from EFL teams, and he can't get a game in a team of non-scoring forwards, Gozie hasn't got a goal and needs confidence to put himself about, Fortune still has to work out this league out, Weir helped us be relegated so why is he such an important part of this team, Wedgbury was a signing to be the solid base of midfield wasn't he, so what's going on ......?

BUT the central point about sports is their WIN and LOSE element and we seem to have disregarded that for two seasons at least. We are now winning, perhaps despite ourselves, and the opposition is consistently finding us difficult to play against, which can't be under-rated. In any team game you can always ask questions about individual players and every manager and every fan would do something different, but if you create a team in which the cogs work for each other and everyone wants to win, you are on the way. Clearly that hasn't happened yet at Salford, Barnet or Orient, who to me all look stronger than us on paper. It is happening at Halifax and Solihull, who look weaker.

There aren't many things more miserable than a Tuesday night in Barrow, let's see if we can hold it together up there. Certainly Evo will want to beat us. We gave him an undeservedly harsh ending to his career, but at the moment it looks as though we did him a big favour.

I'm kinda expectin' a changed team. I thought Dancing was spot-on at Ebbsfleet, a team was picked to do the job, can we expect something similar in Barrow?

So far Dev all I have seen Wedgbury do is run around a lot. He played at Alfreton and I wondered what he had to offer and has made 2 sub appearances since that have still left me wondering.
Maguire didn't play yesterday and IMO we really missed him. He doesn't do anything spectacular but just gets on with his job and he is the one who makes the little runs forward from defence with the ball. Evans and Nelson are just blockers. Yesterday neither of then could have hit a barn never mind a barn door with their so called long ball passing.

Carter just never got going yesterday and I hope the rumour of somebody making a bid for him last week was just that. Barry made a difference when he came on and we looked more positive going forward after that but when you put somebody on to get the crosses in, why take off the big lump of a CF who can get on the end of them?
Fortune has made 2 sub appearances and looked useful but yesterday I thought he was poor, I thought he should have made way for Barry not Ugwu.

In all honesty Dev I think Rowley would fare better elsewhere. From what I have seen so far this season its a bit rough and tumble with the odd bit of skill thrown in. Rowley goes very quiet after a heavy tackle and defensively he just isn't at the races. He needs to bulk up a bit and spend some time watching Carter who is all over the place defending and attacking.

Its great to see us with a will to win. When we lose the ball we fight to win it back. That's been lacking the last 3 years or so. Its the mark of a good team spirit. Like I said yesterday it wasn't pretty but we never looked like losing it.
Big Bore Exhaust = Small Dick
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
9 Up - by Dancingwilldoit - 11-08-2018, 18:56
RE: 9 Up - by bluepooch - 11-08-2018, 19:09
RE: 9 Up - by SaltergateBorn - 12-08-2018, 11:29
RE: 9 Up - by Devongone - 12-08-2018, 12:30
RE: 9 Up - by Dancingwilldoit - 12-08-2018, 13:18
RE: 9 Up - by bluepooch - 12-08-2018, 13:46
RE: 9 Up - by Devongone - 13-08-2018, 11:45
RE: 9 Up - by Devongone - 13-08-2018, 16:38
RE: 9 Up - by SaltergateBorn - 13-08-2018, 20:41