Thread Rating:
Salford City
SB,

I love the idea there isn't much difference between Manc and N Derbyshire, 'bout as close as Serbo-Croat and Japanese so long as your ear trumpet's turned off.
It may be easy to tell the difference, Dev, if the Ammy stewards are all full-trained Henry Higginses with 10 minutes to study pronunciation and speech-patterns, but in a few seconds with a hell of a lot of background noise? Cockney, Glaswegian, Geordie, Brummie - I think they would all be fairly easy to spot, but not necessarily our lot.
I think its easy to spot a dialect from this area probably because we are used to hearing it but I do think we are on a dialect border combining northern and midlands.Its just as easy for me to distinguish between a Derby /Nottingham accent and a Barnsley/South Yorkshire accent .But the difference between us (North East Derbyshire) an the North West is closer in my opinion.
I'm not from Chesterfield but I can easily tell the difference between a Chesterfield, Sheffield, Derby and Nottingham accent and even accents from Barnsley, Leeds etc.

Stockport, Bury, Oldham, Rochdale all in Greater Manchester but each place has a different accent/dialect. The Manchester accent is alright.

Not keen on the Brummie accent and Essex accent.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
A true Manc like a proper Dee-da or a Scouser or a Geordie tends to be pretty obvious to my ear.

When I was working in a Devon bookshop not many people could accurately place my origins, but I've spent a year in Stoke, 3 in Huddersfield, 14 in Cheltenham so maybe that accounts for it. A proper Devon sticks out like a Bristol-ol. Brummies you can't miss, but you need a good ear to pick Stoke and Derby accurately ..... but locals do it easily.

Today is A-level result day, a long day I used to dread when I worked at Ucas. My favourites then were Geordies and Scousers, because however good or bad the news - they could handle it .... and Glaswegians from families originating in Pakistan had almost incomprehensibly thick Scottish accents which I sort of looked forward to too. The worst - Tiger Mothers from the South of England ringing against their offspring's wishes to poke in a tiger nose where it wasn't wanted.
(16-08-2018, 17:41)Devongone Wrote: A true Manc like a proper Dee-da or a Scouser or a Geordie tends to be pretty obvious to my ear.

When I was working in a Devon bookshop not many people could accurately place my origins, but I've spent a year in Stoke, 3 in Huddersfield, 14 in Cheltenham so maybe that accounts for it. A proper Devon sticks out like a Bristol-ol. Brummies you can't miss, but you need a good ear to pick Stoke and Derby accurately ..... but locals do it easily.

Today is A-level result day, a long day I used to dread when I worked at Ucas. My favourites then were Geordies and Scousers, because however good or bad the news - they could handle it .... and Glaswegians from families originating in Pakistan had almost incomprehensibly thick Scottish accents which I sort of looked forward to too. The worst - Tiger Mothers from the South of England ringing against their offspring's wishes to poke in a tiger nose where it wasn't wanted.

It's because you aren't born with an accent but pick it up in the environment and surroundings of where you live. I've known people go down to London to Uni or to live and they come back up North and there vowels and pronunciation is completely different.

I enjoy hearing different accents and dialects. Have you noticed on the BBC they don't seem to employ people with accents.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »