Thread Rating:
scotlands game
Anyone watch this slice of footie nostalgia last night ?

The hands off hibs stuff was interesting (what a slimebag Wallace mercer was). No mention of tom farmer though ??

Some great footage,but sadly the last 20 mins turned into an old firm showcase. we were constantly reminded of the disgraceful bigotry from the govanites. Watching there players singing sectarian songs in the dressing room with chico young whistling along. Laugh Butcher admitting the "unsavoury nature of the clubs traditions" (copyright walter smith) had turned him into a bigot.

Doh Doh Souness talking about signing a catholic to "move things on" then proudly standing next to his team singing sectarian songs. Hypocritical snake.

Souness again "I was brave" as footage shows him running his studs down mccluskeys knee. I remember easter road in outrage at that challenge.

Fergus McCann pointing out the SFA have always been bent Laugh

On a happier note the stuff on law and baxter was great.

The mullet on david duffs driver Laugh The thatcher red card protest Laugh
Its on the BBC iplayer if you didn't catch it.
Yep, I watched it Jim.

Started OK with a lot of interesting stuff but turned into a bit of a bigot fest.   Doh HoH was interesting but seemed to be cut short concerning its ending.......to get back to the important issues I suspect. Doh

Apparently "all" clubs had sectarian troubles but they are now a thing of the past!     Big Grin

The part about signing players from whichever faith just about sums the uglies up......just done for the final goal of winning cups/ titles etc  and nothing to do with the wider picture. Both Souness and Butcher seen singing the sectarian bile that both sets of fans still spout now.   Doh

Next week will be interesting to see how much "Scotlands" clubs get a look in......I expect more of the same, mainly concerning Celtic and Sevco ......afterall is there anything else to talk about............and they keep asking " what went wrong with the game in Scotland...."    Huh   Doh
"FOREVER UNITED"
"Apparently "all" clubs had sectarian troubles but they are now a thing of the past! "

I love how they just slipped that in with zero evidence at all.
Wallace Mercer was not a slimebag Jim he made a very stupid mistake with the hibs thing and I was on the hands off hibs March with lot of other jambos,stupid yes slimebag no
HerefordBull likes this post
Aye Fred, he is viewed as such by a good deal of the Hibs faithful but as you say it was a stupid error of judgement at the time.

I know of a good many Hearts fans who supported H off H campaign as I did in the same way a couple of years ago putting money into the Hearts campaign to stay afloat. Edinburgh needs the 2 teams to stay independent and strong so the competition and banter between the two can continue.   Thumb up
"FOREVER UNITED"
(26-08-2016, 17:41)Fredstersafool Wrote: Wallace Mercer was not a slimebag Jim he made a very stupid mistake with the hibs thing and I was on the hands off hibs March with lot of other jambos,stupid yes slimebag no

Got to disagree with you Fred it was no mistake Mercer knew exactly what he wanted to do and that was make one team in Edinburgh. But that's only my opinion
0762 likes this post
Quite correct, bounce. Mercer wanted to get rid of Hibs. He saw his big chance and was arrogant enough to think he'd get away with it.
hfcbounce and 0762 like this post
Cabbage is still good for you
As I said, it is a Hibs fans view v a Hearts fans view......never the twain shall meet.    Confused

Fortunately it didn't happen. Thumb up
"FOREVER UNITED"
(26-08-2016, 21:22)ritchiebaby Wrote: Quite correct, bounce. Mercer wanted to get rid of Hibs. He saw his big chance and was arrogant enough to think he'd get away with it.

Well said and accurate if you were at the 'front end' of witnessing Mercer's attempt to get rid of Hibs at that time and lets not forget there was also a helluvah lot of Hearts fans who backed the minion to succeed!!
it was certainly a nostalgic reflection of Hibs finally being saved by STF and his reasoning being to enforce the strong community spirit that embraced our footie club and that is still evident today. I previously noticed I was on the bbc tv footage o/s ER, next to Hibs manager Alex Miller, when the news broke out re Mercer's unscrupulous intention to buy the club and many Hibs fans, incl myself, rushed to ER to man the barriers and sign up to the 'Hands off Hibs' campaign - very memorable indeed and a big moment in the history of our footie club!!
hfcbounce likes this post
Whatever the motives behind Mercer's attempted takeover of Hibs, the argument he made that without a single bigger club in Edinburgh then it was going to be extremely hard to truly mount a sustained challenge to Celtic and Rangers, and in fairness he was probably correct. Even today their size dwarfs both of the Edinburgh clubs, and however you view that it makes it very hard to truly compete.

Its a similar scenario we have seen in Sheffield a few times, usually when one club or the other is struggling, although it has never gone beyond fan banter and paper talk. As with Edinburgh though, it would never be accepted by the fans, one side would always see it as a "hostile" takeover rather than a full merger!! But like Edinburgh, with a completely unbiased take, the financial benefits of one club rather than two are definitely there. We see nearly 50k fans watch football in Sheffield each week, that would propel the new merged team much higher up the rankings than either of them are now!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »