Thread Rating:
Andy Murray - what a true legend!
(05-06-2016, 21:37)Fredstersafool Wrote: Murray is to defensive which has bee his undoing over and over again I wish the boy was more aggressive he might just win another major if he is

Grass seems to be his surface for attacking tennis, so hopefully he can pull it off at Wimbledon again.  His serve was not good enough today but we all know grass suits his serve much better anyway.
Grass has been his favourite surface as the game is much quicker and he can use the pace of the ball to generate great returns etc. However over the last few years he has improved greatly on hard and clay courts where he would have struggled to even make the finals. He has learnt to stay in points and so keep in the game. This may come over as a bit defensive but his results on these surfaces show that it is working. However at Wimbledon I think again he will have a great chance and will again show why he likes grass so much and he will be on the attack more.
"FOREVER UNITED"
Andy is the 1st male British tennis player to reach the French Open final in 80 years, which is pretty good going by our general standards of tennis!! I thought he made a mistake today in not varying the tempo of his game as he did against Novak in Rome last month when the Serb was second best with no answers to Murray's fast-slow tactics. I can only guess that the heavy clay surface (due to the rain) in Paris may have contributed to this game changing factor! Today's match was played like a hardcourt game and that played right into Novak's hands with his speed and aggression dominating the proceedings! Wimbledon's grass courts will allow Murray to play this kinda effective tactic again and I hope he can apply it v Djokovic in a quick rematch in front of a partisan British audience.
He'll only win Wimbledon if Djokovic doesn't reach the final,yes he's beat him there before but Djokovic is in another league now,
I disagree on that one! No doubt Djokovic is a top tennis player and super athlete but, on his day. Andy is a great tennis player as well! I think he is currently one of the best 'returners of a tennis ball' and his defensive qualities are terrific! He has every chance to win another major title and I also think he proved a lotta people wrong with his rise to success on hard court and clay surfaces. Djokovic was 'in a league of his own' when Andy recently beat him emphatically in the Rome Masters final. I see no difference when it comes to Wimbledon either apart from the tactics that are deployed by either player! Of course Novak will be the favourite but favourites can be 'shot down' as we've observed many times before.
He'll no win another major if he's playing Djokovic he canny handle him,his second serve is pish (Serena Williams serves faster) and that's his undoing,that's twice he's won the first set v Djokovic in grand slams and lost,he is a fantastic player but he's a serial runner up unfortunately.
Novak's return of serve is just out of this world. He reads Murray's serve very easily. Start of the 2nd set murray couldnae get a serve past him.

Murray is a great player who can produce wonderful shots but he didn't play very well in this final.
Twice he's produced in Grand Slam finals since then it's just been defend an hope whoever he's playing makes a mistake,he's just not got that aggression,.
I think the key to Murray's success has been mentioned often enough by other posters - It's the quality of serve, which he was quick enough to admit was not good enough in that French Open final. He's capable enough to produce that higher level of service and performance although I acknowledge Andy is not such a naturally athletic and adept tennis player compared with Novak or the Fed.
Ye canny take away what he's achieved but it could've been much better if he wasn't so defensive.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »