Thread Rating:
Five divisions
(20-05-2016, 00:31)St Charles Owl Wrote: There has been no mention of Premier League B teams with this and only media speculation with regards to Rangers and Celtic!!  I think some people deliberately stir stuff when any restructuring is planned, here is what was said  with regards to where the teams will come from:

Where would the extra teams come from?

Currently, the bottom two teams in League Two are relegated from the Football League to the National League.

They would not go down at the end of the 2018-19 season, said Harvey.

Six other clubs - in addition to the two clubs already promoted from the National League - would join the Football League.

"The logical place for the extra clubs to come from would be promoting the next six teams from the National League," said Harvey.

"Some of those teams are already professional and the extension to the league may suit them."

The thought process is that playing more games on the weekends will actually boost attendances on average.  Each team will lose 4 home games but both home and away fan numbers are always bigger for the weekend games so it should compensate for itself.

Wake up Charles man!! The FA and the Premier League have an agenda to put Premier League B teams in the Football League and they are still trying to do it even if they won't come out and say it straight.

How can you agree that this is a good thing? It probably won't affect Wednesday as you will be in the Premier League or Championship but it will affect L1, L2 and even non-league. Midweek football is a huge part of the game and its great to watch a game under floodlights, the B teams idea and the new league idea is idiotic and FA Cup replays are essential to the part of our game especially for lower and non-league teams as it brings in more revenue.

This doesn't have the fans in mind. It's all about money at the end of the day and Premier League and big clubs don't give two ***** because its Tory mentality 'I'm alright jack sod you'. Fans aren't angry about midweek kick offs they are angry about Sky ******* Sports changing the days and kick off times to suit there bloody viewers sat in there armchairs who don't even probably support those clubs playing but support the likes of Manchester United and have never set foot in Manchester never mind Old Trafford oh but that doesn't matter because we mustn't upset the armchair fans but we can upset the fans who actually go to games. Fans are also fed up of being sent on 400 mile round trips to bloody Torquay or Portsmouth on a Tuesday night but there are means and ways around those like I suggested in my post above.
Amelia Chaffinch and Lord Snooty like this post
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
I never actually said I liked the idea, I just pointed out that this has come from the FL, not the Prem or the FA. It needs 90% of FL clubs to vote for it to get it approved, so again it's not the FA or PL who will decide. You may think there is an agenda or ulterior motive behind this, but I don't. Whether we like it or not the game is about raising money, without that clubs will continue to fold like we have seen over the years and if a move like this puts some money into the pockets of teams like the old darlington, Hereford, Chester, Newport etc then to me that is worth doing!! Football as a sport cannot exist at the lower league levels unless the revenue is right, the PL are not going to change and neither are Sky, the other 72 have to look out for themselves to ensure they can survive and the undeniable fact is more people are likely to get out of their armchair on a Saturday afternoon than a Tuesday night no matter what nostalgic view of floodlight games is. This isn't a done deal, but the FL have to take the lead on their own matters and not wait to be forced into something by the Prem like we have seen in the past.
The ultimate laugh is would 7 Championship clubs vote to get relegated in one season to a division where TV coverage is at best minimum
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

(20-05-2016, 07:02)themaclad Wrote: The ultimate laugh is would 7 Championship clubs vote to get relegated in one season to a division where TV coverage is at best minimum

I am sure the reduction would take place over a couple of seasons but yes you are correct the 90% agreement required might not be possible at all!!
SCO the reduction all comes in one go North End already stated they are against it, apparently this scheme will increase club revenue by playing 4 less home games cannot work out how playing less will improve finances, right gotta go work calls
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

So much postering on here about this. Crikey as if Rangers and Celtic are going to be allowed in. We all voted against them in 2008/2009. If this helps the England team, eases fixture congestion and maybe even allows us a winter break, I'm all for this. Some people are afraid of even ideas being put forward. This is JUST a proposal, calm your britches some of you. Heard some town fans talking about an idea for regional divisions, absolute nonsense. Not all fans from every team come from their own areas. If that were done, I wouldn't be able to get to any town game apart from maybe 4 a season.

Tuesday games can still be viable if done on a very very local level. It would unfortunately mean I as a londoner never go to say charlton on a tuesday night but I can't be selfish in this regard.
Lord Snooty and St Charles Owl like this post
You can bet that when they introduced the play offs the man on the street was saying....no,no,no lad. That'll never work.

I still think it's a great idea, I hear people saying the fixture list is at fault and that midweek games should be local but you can guess that Town for one would prefer to play Leeds,Sheffield and Hull on a Saturday because it generates more income than a midweek game all round from gate attendance,match sponsorships and hospitality sales
Lord Snooty and St Charles Owl like this post
Harvey was asked about the B teams coming in and he didn't deny it. I still think this is high on the agenda and we must fight it.

You're right, Wakey. But instead of derby matches in midweek or the Brightons, Charltons and Readings we've had recently, surely our midweek games should be the likes of Forest or Preston.
Amelia Chaffinch likes this post
It sounds a good idea in principle....but asking for Championship teams to have 7 relegated in one season is a definite non starter.
It's like turkeys voting for Christmas.
Don't know where this Celtic and Rangers joining the leagues comes from.....that is an absolute non starter. UEFA would never accept that...unless the 4 domestic FA's are happy to lose their votes.
As an aside, remember years ago the late Phil Gartside at Bolton suggested having the Old Firm join the English leagues....this is when they were in the Prem. Would Bolton still vote for that now they are in League 1?? I very much doubt it.
In beer there is freedom, in wine there is health, in cognac there is power and in water there is bacteria
Isn't he also the one that wanted to make the Prem a closed shop?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »