Thread Closed 
Thread Rating:
Nobody even considering the prospect of match-fixing?
Well reflecting back to the 1980s alone, remember the 1984 Euro Cup semi-final, Roma v Dundee Utd? It was finally revealed last year that the referee was bribed by Roma officials - he admitted it! As I said previously, the element of secrecy is paramount in these corrupt individuals not being detected and caught! The 'rolled up trouser' brigade are certainly well into that practise as well eh! Wink
During the same period, about 1986, there was a ref, K O'Donnell, who I remember disallowed 3 x good goals (all onside goals) for a rampant Dundee United v Rangers at Tannadice. None of the goals were even close to being offside! This same ref had a couple of highly questionable ref performances at ER as well - very one-sided decision-making! He disappeared from the SFA ref list within a few weeks after the game at Tannadice - a fact! I remember it well because I wrote a scathing letter to the Scotsman sports columnists re this guy - he was rank awful! The SFA discreetly removed him and he was never seen again.
Has any ref in Scottish footie ever taken a 'bung' for whatever reason? Of course it's possible! Who'd be so naive to dismiss that suggestion out of hand - greed/avarice and it's a human nature issue/weakness! 
Fitba is our national game and if there was a sniff of this it would have been brought to light by now FFS a category z game like snooker has been found out so why not our national sport?? Easy they have nothing
Some people have far too much time on their hands.
There's a lotta money to be gained in betting alone Fredster! The industry is massive and it's a worldwide industry. As hibeejim and I previously remarked - saying there is no prob with any certainty is indeed naive. We just believe the sport is 'squeaky clean' but we can't prove or disprove it otherwise!!! As for the ref fraternity? Well, one way or another, there is an issue and it's been simmering for a long time since Neil Lennon's rants (some of them justified!) and the consequent referees' strike that took place!! The general standard of refereeing is crap!!
(12-05-2016, 10:48)0762 Wrote: There's a lotta money to be gained in betting alone Fredster! The industry is massive and it's a worldwide industry. As hibeejim and I previously remarked - saying there is no prob with any certainty is indeed naive. We just believe the sport is 'squeaky clean' but we can't prove or disprove it otherwise!!! As for the ref fraternity? Well, one way or another, there is an issue and it's been simmering for a long time since Neil Lennon's rants (some of them justified!) and the consequent referees' strike that took place!! The general standard of refereeing is crap!!

The general standard of refereeing is crap!!
You just answered your own question! In this day and age it's practically impossible to rig football matches in Scotland, given that the media coverage is so high it's ridiculous to say otherwise. Paranoia is alive and well down Leith way.
I'll correct you on that Cooper! That's what you believe and it's an opinion! There's a contrary opinion that there are indeed crap referees but there are also corrupt ones hidden within the game - not many but they exist! I'd classify it as suspicious activity. Bribery and corruption have previously been detected in different footie leagues, and other sports, worldwide!! FIFA has been proved to be corrupt as f###!!!!! Paramoia does not come into the debate - it's a needless remark in a healthy debate re an issue that is not a myth! You just opined that Scottish footie could never be like that - surely not eh??? We're squeaky clean!!! Are we really?
Can you prove otherwise? I'll wager you can't so it's just another unsubstantiated opinion, which pretty much is a gripe for your sides failures this season. Refs in Scotland are not the greatest ,coupled with a million cameras trained on them to pick up every mistake made adds a lot of weight to paranoia. A better trained referee is the answer not wild accusations.
Forget mentioning Hibs in this debate Cooper - it's just another needless remark. The debate goes deeper than Hibs FC!!

The details in my thread #31 are factual and there's nothing inaccurate re the said Euro ref bribery and removal of a highly suspicious Scottish referee!!
Here's a good read on the very subject that is definitely not a myth. However, I'll admit there is a difference between match-fixing and corrupt refereeing. Why are you so defensive on these issues????? Why??? Surely you can't be that naïve?

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/match-fixing-gr...eo-1504081
Nobody is defensive here at all and as for you bleat re Hibs you mentioned Rangers at every turn in your original post disingenuous at best. It's a ludicrous whine which all stems from results not going your clubs way. Quick question do you think there was a hint of match fixing during your 0-1 away win at Falkirk given it was a dodgy pen given? Or was that just an honest ref mistake on that day. I would have given more credence to your post had it not basically been a pop at Rangers yet again.
Rangers were not even mentioned in the original OP Cooper!!!!! Thumb down Are you on drugs? And there's been no bleating or whining whatsoever re Rangers!! Stop trying to pull a reaction!! The topic is not a Rangers issue either and it's not a Hibs one!! You're just being selective to suit a negative dialogue. How sad! Away you go home and have a sleep if you don't wanna debate properly!! A pop at Rangers lol!! An illusion!! Huhhhhhhhh! If you have nothing constructive to say then GO AWAY and annoy somebody in your immediate family eh!! Keep your problems at home! Nuff said.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Thread Closed