Thread Rating:
Hibs v Dundee United: Scottish Cup semi-final, 16 April 2016
Two days to go until this crucial cup-tie v The Tangerines and I hope the new turf is down and bedded in lol!!!
Also this afternoon we have an unusual 'head to head' interview, a marketing/publicity interview at Hampden, between the two managers, Stubbsy and Mixu, and it will be curious to hear what they have to say re their chances in this match because both teams seem to be caught up in similar circumstances where poor, unpredictable form prevails. I'd say United are the favourites, the only reason being because they are the Scottish Premiership team, albeit bottom of the league.
This match reminds me of the 2007 SC semi-final v the Pars who were bottom of the league, couldn't buy a league win and ended up beating Hibs (another 'steal' of a match!) before being stuffed by Celtic in the final after being relegated!! Lets hope for a different result this time i.e. a Hibs win!!
Re the match? A big talking point for Hibs fans is the lack of preparation of the Ox's replacement in Hibs goal! I hope the manager has got it right because he's not currently impressing too many Hibs fans for various reasons! As said in a previous thread, I think Darren Mac is also suspended (two yellow cards) but not 100% sure re that one - someone confirm or correct me re that assumption. He picked up a yellow card v ICT and I thought he picked up a booking v Hearts at ER?
What is Stubbs' strongest lineup that is available to him? I think Gray is injured. So it looks like Gunnarson will replace him. Centre backs? Hanlon must be in there and it's either Fontaine or preferably Darren alongside him. Our midfield performance will be crucial and I rue the loss to injury of Dylan McGeouch who can 'stand on the baw' and play. Hence Hendo probably takes up the role, John McGinn is an easy on form attacking choice, Bartley will add a physical dimension in front of our back line and IMO AN Other deals with United's Paul Paton i.e. stop his involvement in the match a la Falkirk tactics!! If John McGinn is 'man marked', I'd immediately change his role and move him to similarly mark Paton and potentially take out two of their players!! Up front it looks like Stubbsy will stick with the Stokes-Cummings partnership and I'd instruct them to focus on the centre of United's makeshift defence - one of their CBs is suspended and Gunning was banished by Mixu but has been bizarrely invited to return back to the club. Will he play? I hope so because United apparently should've lost four goals in the 1st 20 mins of their recent match v ICT, a team that was always second best to Hibs in our recent QF ties!! Yogi has managed to 'soften them up' with that sickening defeat! Wink
The result? This is a hard call based on the fact we needlessly f#### up v Falkirk and Stubbs needs to 'tweak' to a more balanced Hibs side with a solid spine to it. I'll be there and wanna see a controlled attacking match and hope Stubbs reverts to other attacking options fairly early in this match if Stokes and Cummings f### up again. We don't do frenetic matches very well and I don't trust Stubbs any more in these kinda matches. Here's hoping we pull it off and, more importantly, we 'get back on track' for the remainder of the season.

GGTTH
ritchiebaby likes this post
I'm not confident.

We are too powderpuff and the game management we had earlier in the season where we saw out our share of narrow wins has gone completely.

Add in a new goalie to the mix and it doesn't improve my outlook any. That said outside the last 15 mins that was the best we have played in a while on tuesday,thought the manager got the team and changes correct.
no' confident but always hopeful GGTTH
I'll be there for this one having missed the wee cup final.

As usual, hoping for the best, expecting the worst.

GGTTH
ritchiebaby likes this post
"FOREVER UNITED"
Ha ha ha! A very fitting remark at the current time exeterhibby! Smile  On Tues night my son commented 'off the cuff' that he liked Hibs but he also hated them because of all the predictable let downs and the Falkirk capitulation was just another one. I remarked that it's called a love-hate relationship with the club 'hurting' so many fans down the years. 'It will change in time' was my reply and 'if I win a huge Euro lotto prize soon then you'll soon see a big version of the brief Gretna renaissance and a few suspects at Hibs would be 'oot the door' pronto' lol! I wish! Rolleyes

GGTTH
I'll be a couch potato for this one and my predictions are as follows. Score a first early in the game and then a second early soon after and we could have United chitting themselves. Foremost we must avoid the individual errors that have blighted our season sofa. Then a golden wonder goal from Stokesy to complete his hat-trick will give me all I desiree. After that the Hampden pitch will be ready for Sunday's game, even though it'll probably resemble a tattie field. That's charlotte for tonight!

Hibs are certainly good enough to win this semi-final. We just need to work a bit harder and do the simple things well with an occasional flash of brilliance. Perhaps the Scottish Cup will be the stimulus to get us away from the pressures of the Championship.

GGTTH
TheWorthinGer, , supercooper like this post
Cabbage is still good for you
(14-04-2016, 22:19)ritchiebaby Wrote: I'll be a couch potato for this one and my predictions are as follows. Score a first early in the game and then a second early soon after and we could have United chitting themselves. Foremost we must avoid the individual errors that have blighted our season sofa. Then a golden wonder goal from Stokesy to complete his hat-trick will give me all I desiree. After that the Hampden pitch will be ready for Sunday's game, even though it'll probably resemble a tattie field. That's charlotte for tonight!

Hibs are certainly good enough to win this semi-final. We just need to work a bit harder and do the simple things well with an occasional flash of brilliance. Perhaps the Scottish Cup will be the stimulus to get us away from the pressures of the Championship.

GGTTH

Have some help:

http://varieties.ahdb.org.uk/varieties
Thanks, TWG. I had hoped you'd dig something up for me!
TheWorthinGer and like this post
Cabbage is still good for you
Who is refereeing our semi-final?
Think its Beaton for our game......and Craig Thomson in the other.???
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »