Thread Rating:
It's a welcome Easter break but where does Stubbs go from here?
A Scottish cup win will make Stubbs our most successful manager in 115 years BUT there are still going to be calls for his head.
Some Hibs fans need to get a grip and remember the state the team were in after Rod sold off virtually our whole first team in 2008/10.
The policy of running the team on the cheap by having 6 or 7 short term loans clearly does not work and as a result we have had to suffer a slump in form when players realise that they may become redundant in a few weeks and lose interest.
(23-03-2016, 22:18)1Wattie Wrote: A Scottish cup win will make Stubbs our most successful manager in 115 years BUT there are still going to be calls for his head.
Some Hibs fans need to get a grip and remember the state the team were in after Rod sold off virtually our whole first team in 2008/10.
The policy of running the team on the cheap by having 6 or 7 short term loans clearly does not work and as a result we have had to suffer a slump in form when players realise that they may become redundant in a few weeks and lose interest.

It might have been a while ago, but are you not devaluing the the titles you won in the 40s and 50s? Or getting to the semi of the European cup?
ritchiebaby likes this post
Have to agree Worthing........any manager who wins the Scottish Cup again with Hibs will go down in History but that does not make them the most successful Hibs manager. ( afterall most of his wins are in the second tier of Scottish football)  Hugh Shaw in the 40's 50's won 3 league titles and had the European adventure and was there with the famous five so still arguably would be our most successful manager. McMichael took the team to a league title and the Scottish Cup in 1902 so is up for a shout. ( although I realise this falls outside Watties 115 years)

When you look at win percentages these 2 are up there but behind Stein ( who won nothing) and interestingly Stubbs ( however if results carry on as they are this percentage will drop fast!) . However I'd still look at the 40's and 50's as our most successful time as although the Scottish Cup has become Hibs holy grail, it is not the only parameter.
"FOREVER UNITED"
Lets not kid ourselves,if stubbs wins the scottish cup and gets that particular monkey of our back he will be elevated ahead of collins and mowbray to our most successful of modern managers with all the emotion behind that.

Although stein was at hibs briefly,i don't think you can discount his contribution either. He had a very good win record at the club and its almost certain we would have won major silverware under him had he been allowed to see the season out at hibs as he wished. Both stanton and cormack have testified to how far ahead of the game he was and how he improved them.

The clubs golden period was obviously with the famous 5,but you can't discount the inimitable eddie turnbull and "turnbulls tornadoes" either who really should have won more than they did.
Aye Jim, both Mowbray and Turnbull have an almost identical win percentage ( 48%) but still well behind Steins (62%) . As you say if he had stayed who knows what might have been achieved.     Huh

You still have to admire Shaws record over 13 years and a percentage of wins over 51%. I think what happens is that we look at teams and eras we remember and going to Easter Road to see these teams in their peak time. I was lucky that my first games were during the Turnbull era and I have fond memories of that side.   Thumb up   However success has to be measured by achievements and trophies won for the club.

GGTTH
"FOREVER UNITED"
There are very few individuals who have done more for hibernian than eddie turnbull.
likes this post
I did not mean to detract from the excellent work done by Eddie Turnbull or the famous 5 days and the league wins under Shaw but as exiter mentions the Scottish cup has become the holy grail for us and any manager bringing it to Easter Road will be put on a pedestal and hero worshipped.
Winning the Scottish Cup doesn't rank anywhere near the league Championship. Stellar difference and I don't care how long you've been waiting for it.

How many games to win SC? 6 unless you're a rank outsider.

To win the league? 36 and all against ranking opposition.

There's no way I can imagine any fan who had the chance of winning either the league or SC opting for the latter. Not even Hibs fans, twisted bunch that they are.
(24-03-2016, 23:41)1Wattie Wrote: I did not mean to detract from the excellent work done by Eddie Turnbull or the famous 5 days and the league wins under Shaw but as exiter mentions the Scottish cup has become the holy grail for us and any manager bringing it to Easter Road will be put on a pedestal and hero worshipped.

Not taken that way at all wattie.

You are pretty much spot on.
TWG
The way things are going at Ibrox it might be many years before you see new top silverware in your trophy cabinet again.
If you manage the SC this year you will see where I`m coming from
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »