Thread Rating:
Raith Rovers v Hibs - 19/03/16
It's back to the "bread and butter" Championship games this weekend with a teatime visit to Stark's Park on Saturday - it's on hee-derum-ho-derum TV. We've now slipped back to third place, 3 points behind Falkirk but with 2 games in hand. Raith Rovers are a further 13 points behind, but with 8 games still to play, they will want to consolidate their 4th place.

Last time we played them, we beat them 2-0 in the Scottish Cup and a repeat performance would suit me down to the ground. We've played them thrice Whistle in the Championship so far this season, winning each one with an aggregate score of 5-1. I'm sure Raith will give a dogged performance and try to stifle our midfield. Fyvie must be close to being ready for a comeback and I'd give Boyle a place in the team and El Alagui to come on as substitute - there's always room for improvement in my eyes. Not only that, but after a 2 week break following this match, we have 9 games in April, so now is the time to recharge our batteries and give some fringe players game time. I wonder what plans Alan Stubbs has for the Easter holidays?

GGTTH
Cabbage is still good for you
-1 for over use of thrice.
ritchiebaby and Trusevich like this post
First and foremost, lets get another win v the Rovers and that'll be a 100% positive record intact v the Kirckaldy side. I notice Falkirk play The Rangers tonight. So the Govan club could do us a favour by either 'turning over' the Bairns or drawing with them. Ideally, I'd take the draw where they both drop points. I reckon Stubbs will freshen up the Hibs team after the huge midweek commitment at the Caledonian Stadium. I've said in a previous thread that the SC quarter-final win was a huge result for us - now we use it as a spring board to drive on to better things. Fingers crossed that this will be the case. The big goalie, Virtanen, has to be given a full 1st team debut because he'll be lining up v Dundee United in the semi-final in mid April. Will this match be appropriate for the manager to slot him in or is it still too early to do this? Also most of our injured players look like their return is imminent and I certainly think this team can be strengthened with the appropriate changes!! I'd love to see El Alagui 'leading the line' v this level of opposition but his state of recovery is still currently a 'grey area' for Hibs fans - it looks like a careful, gradual process of full recovery is being applied under expert physio supervision but Stubbsy should still be opting for a front line that offers a potentially good return in goals scored. Hence I'd like to see Boyle, Keatings, Farid, Jason and Stokesy all involved in this match at some point.
PS: Stubbsy will likely return to sunny La Cala for the Easter break - to 'chill out' and review the training facilities again lol! Wink

GGTTH
0762 Wrote:First and foremost, lets get another win v the Rovers and that'll be a 100% positive record intact v the Kirckaldy side. I notice Falkirk play The Rangers tonight. So the Govan club could do us a favour by either 'turning over' the Bairns or drawing with them. Ideally, I'd take the draw where they both drop points. I reckon Stubbs will freshen up the Hibs team after the huge midweek commitment at the Caledonian Stadium. I've said in a previous thread that the SC quarter-final win was a huge result for us - now we use it as a spring board to drive on to better things. Fingers crossed that this will be the case. The big goalie, Virtanen, has to be given a full 1st team debut because he'll be lining up v Dundee United in the semi-final in mid April. Will this match be appropriate for the manager to slot him in or is it still too early to do this? Also most of our injured players look like their return is imminent and I certainly think this team can be strengthened with the appropriate changes!! I'd love to see El Alagui 'leading the line' v this level of opposition but his state of recovery is still currently a 'grey area' for Hibs fans - it looks like a careful, gradual process of full recovery is being applied under expert physio supervision but Stubbsy should still be opting for a front line that offers a potentially good return in goals scored. Hence I'd like to see Boyle, Keatings, Farid, Jason and Stokesy all involved in this match at some point.
PS: Stubbsy will likely return to sunny La Cala for the Easter break - to 'chill out' and review the training facilities again lol! Wink

GGTTH

Dearie me, Rangers dropping points is no good to your lot - we'd need to shed them by the bucket load for you to take anything from it.

Any sensible Hibs fan will see quite clearly that Rangers have the league wrapped up and their chances of promotion hinge on playing as few play-off games as possible - thereby avoiding any banana skins thrown up by an extra couple of games.  That being the case a convincing Rangers win is what you should wish for.

We on the other hand can afford to drop the odd point or three so a defeat against Falkirk will dent Hibs chances far more than ours.  I wouldn't complain too much if we had a wee slip up, the boys have done so well recently the odd lapse is only to be expected.
Can't say i'd be too disappointed either if we lose tonight. The thought of helping Hibs by winning tonight makes me shudder. I like the thought of Hibs being knocked out by Raith in the quarters, divided loyalties, possibly tonight?
TheWorthinGer likes this post
Another year in the Championship would be a fitting reward.
supercooper likes this post
wouldn't it just.
Fixtures starting to pile up now and every one is important. Starks Park is a hard place to go so yet again the pressure will be on Hibs. As our Rangers friends say a slip on their part tonight will not help Hibs quest for second spot.  As Worthing says they are not going to drop that many points so we need to watch the Bairns.

Just returned from my Highland adventure last week so can sit back and watch events on Alba.....still don't like Stokes and Cummings up front but expect AS to go with them again. I'd like to see Virtanen in goal as he needs some experience before the Cup semi.

Challenging times ahead but what will be will be

'Mon the Hibs.......and the gers tonight !!
TheWorthinGer likes this post
"FOREVER UNITED"
(18-03-2016, 21:31)exeterhibby Wrote: Fixtures starting to pile up now and every one is important. Starks Park is a hard place to go so yet again the pressure will be on Hibs. As our Rangers friends say a slip on their part tonight will not help Hibs quest for second spot.  As Worthing says they are not going to drop that many points so we need to watch the Bairns.

Just returned from my Highland adventure last week so can sit back and watch events on Alba.....still don't like Stokes and Cummings up front but expect AS to go with them again. I'd like to see Virtanen in goal as he needs some experience before the Cup semi.

Challenging times ahead but what will be will be

'Mon the Hibs.......and the gers tonight !!

As I said, any sensible Hibs fan.
(18-03-2016, 21:31)exeterhibby Wrote: Fixtures starting to pile up now and every one is important. Starks Park is a hard place to go so yet again the pressure will be on Hibs. As our Rangers friends say a slip on their part tonight will not help Hibs quest for second spot.  As Worthing says they are not going to drop that many points so we need to watch the Bairns.

Just returned from my Highland adventure last week so can sit back and watch events on Alba....still don't like Stokes andCummings up front but expect AS to go with them again. I'd like to see Virtanen in goal as he needs some experience before the Cup semi.

Challenging times ahead but what will be will be

'Mon the Hibs......and the gers tonight !!

My main concern at the Caledonian Stadium was Cummings' inability to take any of his scoring opportunities and he should've taken at least one of them, particularly in the last frenetic mins of the match. Poor decision-making by Jason but nothing wrong with his work rate plus he set up the second goal for Stokesy and also provided other decent chances for Stokesy. Jason needs to score a goal asap.
Rangers beaten tonight after taking a two goal lead - a real 'kick in the teeth' and the look of dismay on the Gers players'/fans' faces really was a picture! Rolleyes  They were mince and failed the 'pressure test' at the back and well done to Falkirk in exposing that weakness! Thumb up
We need to concentrate on our own game plan and close the pts gap on that second place spot. We're still looking good but our strikers need to start 'banging in goals' regularly.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »