Thread Rating:
Stubbsy baffled by the last three defeats???
The manager is stating in the EEN that Hibs could've won all three matches and, based on observing all these matches that they've dominated, the results could well have been different. However, saying he's 'baffled' by these events is a wee bit bemusing TBF! 6 months ago I opined that we could never depend on Cummings spearheading a concerted challenge on the Championship title mainly because he's not a pen box striker, a 'sniffer' for goals. We all know the last 'sniffer' in a Hibs team who was revered by a huge number of Hibs fans - none other than Sparky, a staunch Hibs fan and a very good pen box striker!! If a fit Griffiths had been in our current side in this Championship league, we certainly would not be debating a tight second place finish!! But he's not, and the pen box striker that we needed is still not evident in Hibs team to play alongside young Jason who has scored some crucial goals during a decent season so far. I also said at that time that Waghorn, who had played well v Hibs and trained beside them at La Manga, was there for all to see and before Rangers finally appeared on the scene. Wigan's manager, ex Hibee Gary Caldwell, must've known the guy was not gonna be in his future plans - IMO a transfer trick missed by Stubbs by a country mile!! Both Cummings and Stokes have been misfiring in league matches for weeks and in Cummings' case, he's a bit like a young Sparky who favoured kicking with his left foot, on occasions to his disadvantage!! Griffiths improved on that weakness in later years and also scores with his right peg to his benefit.
On a lesser note, Hibs have been defensively weak for a while and I've no doubt injuries have played a part in it. Also the iffy situation with Hibs goalkeeper, Oxley, is one that Stubbs had control of but he chose not to take any action - it's his choice but that inaction may well come back to haunt the manager.
Stating that he is baffled is one thing but I believe he 'knows the score' - after all, he's an ex player! He is trying to keep his players onside particularly with two crucial cup confrontations looming ever closer. How can you manage players 'saving themselves' and not getting injured, particularly for next week's cup final?
Deja vu for many a Hibs fan and player - not easy!!
and ritchiebaby like this post
cummings and oxley have been big players for us this season,its unfortunate they have hit a bad spell now and even more so that no one else has been able to compensate. I certainly wouldnae blame mcginn or henderson who really deserve something out of this season,they have both been excellent.

I'll put my neck on the line and say i think stokes will come good. He hasn't played much this season remember. Plus i don't think he came here to play out wide either, he wants used in a 4-4-2.
(03-03-2016, 00:20)hibeejim21 Wrote: cummings and oxley have been big players for us this season,its unfortunate they have hit a bad spell now and even more so that no one else has been able to compensate. I certainly wouldnae blame mcginn or henderson who really deserve something out of this season,they have both been excellent.

I'll put my neck on the line and say i think stokes will come good. He hasn't played much this season remember. Plus i don't think he came here to play out wide either, he wants used in a 4-4-2.

Cummings is a great wee player and I'd have him at Rangers.  That wee dink over the keeper was class, and for me proves - along with some other great goals this season - he's a penalty box striker.  Yet he can't score them all.

As I said in another thread, it's the lack of goals from elsewhere that's your problem.
hibeejim21 likes this post
I like cummings and i agree with you in that he is a good finisher,but when he isn't scoring (and we have been here before) he doesnt do enough for the team in my humble opinion. Maybe that will come in time,i don't know.

Farid has been a miss,because he brings something our other forwards don't have. He is decent in the air and can put himself about a bit.

We are in a final,a quarter final and can go up via the playoffs. Plenty of opportunity to show we don't 'meltdown' at the big games.
hibeejim21 Wrote:I like cummings and i agree with you in that he is a good finisher,but when he isn't scoring (and we have been here before) he doesnt do enough for the team in my humble opinion. Maybe that will come in time,i don't know.

Farid has been a miss,because he brings something our other forwards don't have. He is decent in the air and can put himself about a bit.

We are in a final,a quarter final and can go up via the playoffs. Plenty of opportunity to show we don't 'meltdown' at the big games.

It'll be a party or a wake come the end of the season.
(03-03-2016, 01:45)hibeejim21 Wrote: I like cummings and i agree with you in that he is a good finisher,but when he isn't scoring (and we have been here before) he doesnt do enough for the team in my humble opinion. Maybe that will come in time,i don't know.

Farid is a pen box striker and an experienced one at that. IMO he would've been the perfect foil to nourish young Jason and one of the striking options for Stubbs to go for on Hibs run in until season end. Unfortunately he's still not match fit and it was noticeable that Stubbsy did not bring him on to that artificial pitch in Dumfries - a wise man indeed! But the manager is desperately trying to get him match fit because there's no doubt he sees Farid as a key player in the months ahead and I'll bet that the sports scientists from SM University have finally given him the 'thumbs up' to push on with the big man's recovery - it's been a long time coming since that horrific injury on that shit pitch in Alloa!!
(03-03-2016, 11:18)TheWorthinGer Wrote:
hibeejim21 Wrote:I like cummings and i agree with you in that he is a good finisher,but when he isn't scoring (and we have been here before) he doesnt do enough for the team in my humble opinion. Maybe that will come in time,i don't know.

It'll be a party or a wake come the end of the season.

Quite.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »