Thread Closed 
Thread Rating:
Does Scottish football really need Rangers FC in it's current toxic state?
Trus the problem is rangers are very much ate the forefront and have been for a long long time and that's a shame as there are clubs who are just as guilty unfortunately rangers are the club who are worse than others and there's no getting away from that,but then two wrongs don't make a right
(31-12-2015, 22:11)Fredstersafool Wrote: Trus the problem is rangers are very much ate the forefront and have been for a long long time and that's a shame as there are clubs who are just as guilty unfortunately rangers are the club who are worse than others and there's no getting away from that,but then two wrongs don't make a right

You perceive Rangers to be at the forefront simply because nobody talks about the Celtic fans and their IRAoke, nobody talks about the Hibs or Hearts fans and their 'Go home ya H*ns' chants, nobody talks about the Aberdeen fans and their Ibrox disaster chants. And I haven't even mentioned all of the D.O.B. stuff.

Until the whole issue is discussed, and a mutual solution found, then nothing can ever come of it. By focusing solely on Rangers, you're only ever going to fail.

The problem is that you don't want to fix the problem, you all just want to punish Rangers.

SCO: You say Rangers need to do more. I challenge you to find a club that has done more to challenge offensive chanting than Rangers. I'll save you the bother of searching - there isn't one.
Yer wrong Trus people do speak about the clubs you mention but because of rangers history it's swept under the carpet as such which is wrong it's time all clubs with this shite they carry are battered too.

Yer wrong by the way I know that there are fans pout there who want this stopped and it's not just about your club but it seems impossible to eradicate
I will take your word on that, I have no proof one way or the other!!  I suppose my point was that Rangers need to do more than they have done to eradicate this because so far whatever they have done has not worked!!  But.......................
It will never be eradicated if the focus is solely on Rangers.
St Charles Owl likes this post
(31-12-2015, 22:40)Fredstersafool Wrote: Yer wrong Trus people do speak about the clubs you mention but because of rangers history it's swept under the carpet as such which is wrong it's time all clubs with this shite they carry are battered too.

Yer wrong by the way I know that there are fans pout there who want this stopped and it's not just about your club but it seems impossible to eradicate

...................this seems to be the problem.  How do clubs eradicate this from their fan base?  Its almost impossible to do, particularly when there are still sections of Scottish society who spout this rubbish in their daily lives, let alone when they are supporting a football team.
(31-12-2015, 22:50)St Charles Owl Wrote: I will take your word on that, I have no proof one way or the other!!  I suppose my point was that Rangers need to do more than they have done to eradicate this because so far whatever they have done has not worked!!  But.......................

I disagree. The progress made at Ibrox over the past 20 years has been amazing. There's only ever sporadic bursts of it these days compared to the regular occurrances of yesteryear. The focus is entirely on Rangers though, and that's where the whole campaign falls down.
St Charles Owl likes this post
(31-12-2015, 23:02)Trusevich Wrote:
(31-12-2015, 22:50)St Charles Owl Wrote: I will take your word on that, I have no proof one way or the other!!  I suppose my point was that Rangers need to do more than they have done to eradicate this because so far whatever they have done has not worked!!  But.......................

I disagree. The progress made at Ibrox over the past 20 years has been amazing. There's only ever sporadic bursts of it these days compared to the regular occurrances of yesteryear. The focus is entirely on Rangers though, and that's where the whole campaign falls down.

Sectarianism and all of the other isms and obias are not football's problem - they are society's problems.

I'm deeply suspicious of people who like to shout really loud about the faults they find in others.    I'm just as suspicious of saintly angels.  Freudian smoke screens.
Trusevich likes this post
(31-12-2015, 22:08)St Charles Owl Wrote: 100% correct Trus!!!  The premise of the question in the OP is completely wrong!!  To use a current affairs analogy from over here, this is the same as Donald Trump's solution to Islamist extremists, simply ban Muslims to remove the problem!!

If you want to discuss sectarianism in Scottish football and indeed in Scottish society then do so, but to simply "ban" one offender while ignoring the bigger picture is either just petty hatred towards Rangers or even worse complete ignorance of the problem as a whole.  There are very few mainsteam clubs in Scotland who have not suffered from an element of their support spouting sectarian crap, Hibs included, its time that Scottish Football and more importantly the Scottish legal system deals with this across the board.

I think some clubs have done a lot to eradicate this and for sure Rangers need to do a lot more to stop this at Ibrox but continually blaming just one portion of the problem will not eradicate this as a whole.

St Charles Owl, note for info officials of Hibs FC dealt with this problem well over 30 years ago when it was identified and a rigidly implemented non-sectarian policy was hugely successful! Supporters were consulted together with bus conveners and other supporter club officials throughout the Hibs fan base. Any remnant of sectarianism is absolutely miniscule, one remnant being the Hibs casuals fraternity (banned by Hibs FC years ago!) who I'd argue deliberately target certain football fans by baiting them with sectarian taunts for the sole purpose of drawing them in and battering them senseless - many Old Firm fans (and others, incl targeted English and Euro fans) have been victims/casualties of this violent fraternity, many of whom are trained in martial arts and boxing etc and they move in organised swarms to protect themselves and severely hurt their victims in the process. That's why their members have been banned for decades by Hibs and that ban continues per se. Hibernian FC is a community football club and a damn good progressive one that is run in the proper way. Compare this transformation with the likes of Rangers FC and there's no comparison. As another poster has alluded - Rangers have tried to change things for the better but they have not done enough! Also I wish some of the defensive comments would stop insinuating hatred of the football club - the truth of the matter is thousands of decent football fans despise the outlandish practise of promoting sectarianism together with the intimidation, the threats, the documented violence attached to it and many other acts of antagonism. How anyone can actually deny these insinuations as being groundless is beyond me. I acknowledge there are similar issues elsewhere in Scottish society and in Scottish football. However, like many other critical football fans, I regard RFC is one of the 'big fish' offenders that should've been reeled in years ago for the good of the club itself and ultimately for the good of the game - that would've been a huge breath of fresh air if this action had even been half successful and they'd managed to weed out a significant proportion of anarchists/offenders who just shouldn't be there. A formally drafted anti-sectarian mission statement would be a start with signs erected throughout their stadium to endorse such a policy but that kinda action would just be the start of a concerted effort to 'clean up their act' big time. 
Q.E.D.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Thread Closed