Thread Rating:
Hibs AGM tomorrow night - questions to ask?
I dont get the issue of switching clubs would still be inactive for the same amount of time. Revenue if anything would go up.
(17-12-2015, 19:36)St Charles Owl Wrote:
(17-12-2015, 14:49)hibeejim21 Wrote: A lot of the top flight clubs boardrooms are a bit uneasy about summer football.

Are any of them publicly saying why they are uneasy??  Also are any known to be in favor?

I see the  subject of expanding the top division has been raised again today. what are the  thoughts on that idea??

A top league of 16 clubs has been the popular choice in previous fans' questionnaires, opinion polls etc. So this suggestion is not new. The criticism of this idea from Premiership clubs centres on the fact that they see such a proposal actually losing money compared with the current arrangement. The counter argument is that a bigger league will benefit Scottish football but there are fewer matches and there is consequently a significant loss in revenue - therefore it's a 'no go proposal' from certain Premiership club Chairmen. 
I can understand their concern over revenue, the Scottish game is hardly awash with money and to remove essentially about 15-20% of their gate receipts alone could send some clubs into serious debt. Like in England, unfortunately most top tier teams really don't care about international football anyway, so doing something the at the moment really only benefits Wee Gordon and the National team will not be met with favor!! What is really needed is a guarantee from Sky that they would want the rights to summer football and that they would pay a bit more for it to compensate the clubs, but I cannot see anyway they will ever say that in public!!

Outside the box thinking is needed in Scotland, doing the same thing year after year will not produce different results, there is an apathy among the fans so something has to change. One idea would possibly be an end of season tournament that would see each team get at least a couple of home games and would create some excitement at the end of the season in the run up to Xmas. Sure its a bit American in nature but if it generates revenue from gate receipts and tv coverage then it might work.
There seems to be a heightened call in the media and from club chairmen for league reconstruction,its just making the game a laughing stock. Why do we need to do this now? Changes were made last season,what's changed ?

I'm not at all convinced by the 16 club model.
Unfortunately football is now geared towards couch potato fans with many games on Sky, BT and Alba. Youngsters growing up have a first experience of football by sitting at home with Dad cheering at the tv and then get brain washed into believing that one of these successful sides is the one to support and up in Scotland being told that Scottish football is c**p with only 2 sides Celtic and Rangers. Before Sky they may choose to support one of these 2 but now with access to games all round the World they are more likely to follow Man U. Inter Milan or Barcelona etc. especially with the demise of these former forces in Euro football.

Bums on seats is now a fairly minor part of a clubs income and often when I glimpse Match of the Day will see top club games with many empty seats.  ( when I first went to live football at a young age to Villa Park this would be unheard of and I expect Hillsborough was the same........I remember going to a League Cup Final replay there and to say it was packed to the rafters was an understatement. )  Many top clubs also rely on their World wide appeal to fill their stadia......on my recent trip to Anfield I lost count of the numbers obviously visiting from the Far East and on our hospitality table it was mainly filled with fans from Australia. Money from TV deals with Sky and BT play a big part in managing to balance the books along with all the merry go round of transfers and wages with the daft money involved. A Club I watched for years Hereford United went out of business owing the same amount of money Wayne Rooney earns in one week!  ( the fans have bought the rights to the club and now have them playing again under a different name....Hereford FC....real grass roots stuff)

So having said all this where does this leave Scottish Football........without more exposure on Sky etc with their money to invest in the club from their stadia and playing staff etc the fans are not going to suddenly return even for a new end of season Cup competition.......so in conclusion things are fairly dire and change has to be tried and if that is Summer football so be it. Sky are more likely to increase their coverage as there will be no EPL etc and then we only have the problem of the World Cup and Euros. but has been said before it works in Sweden and Norway etc.

Its like any change, many people will be scared of it and need to be convinced before taking it to the next stage.
hibeejim21 likes this post
"FOREVER UNITED"
Scottish fitba is crap Exeter.

It's a results business Exter Tynecastle is selling out every home game however it won't take a lot to change that.

Scottish fitba needs men who have a clue and not men like Donkeyaster and Regan who are fecking usesless scaremongerers,that and some real talent wouldn't go a miss.
likes this post
Agreed Fred but that doesn't stop 16K fans turning up and loving it at Tynecastle as you say.  A youngster going along to his local club for the first time with what to them is a big crowd with all the sights and sounds is probably unaware of what quality is on show but many fall in love with whole experience and start to follow that team more than often for life  Its as we all get older we realise what we are watching ! Stuck at home in front of the TV doesn't give them that experience and so are unlikely to know anything about  their local side except they are crap.A winning side will put bums on seats even when what is on offer is crap. Without investment in especially the playing staff the quality is not going to improve and there is only one place that can come from. Sad but true.
"FOREVER UNITED"
My wee boy is 5 and is football daft and season ticket holder, and yer right regardless of what's on show we go for the love of the game,but all it takes is bad performances and people stop going,we are actually lucky i.e Hearts Hibs that we can attract the so called better players to the clubs which will always help.
Better players for Scotland Fred but not World beaters and not going to be seen or impress the couch potato fans.

Your wee lad is now likely to follow the Jambos through thick and thin and another local fan is born . However there are so many not having that local match day experience who will just watch from their couch and are told that Scottish football and Hearts are c**p so support Arsenal etc.
"FOREVER UNITED"
Well overpriced too,I have to pay our tickets monthly and because of that i'm no making a great saving given that his ticket is only £50,if they drop the prices then more families will show up IMO,however i don't see that happening to soon,
likes this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »