Thread Rating:
Scottish League Cup format revamped - good or bad?
http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/st-mi...eague-cup/

So the Scottish football powers that be have decided to give us some early season summer football with a restructured SLC set up for July 2016. Initial groups of five, pen shoot outs, bonus points etc - all mouth-watering stuff to draw in the Scottish football fan during the summer? But is it as attractive as it first appears? I see extra early matches that most of the clubs would not greatly welcome at a time when players' fitness levels are being gradually improved well before the rigours of a new league season! Also the winter break that Doncaster talks about could well be a period of decent weather that we can ill afford to miss! It also creates a lull in the season that many clubs and fans are currently experiencing - a weird dip in interest because nowt is happening! Should a change to the status of this trophy be applied, much like in England? i.e. give a Europa League quali place to the eventual winner? Also why not have a full summer season programme and be done with it! At least phase it in at grassroots level and see how the younger players enjoy it! Lastly I think this formal announcement by Regan and Doncaster merely deflects away from the bigger issues like league reconstruction + a far bigger commitment to a fully set out summer football season programme with assigned start dates and end dates etc - stuff that the majority of Scottish fans are very interested in debating towards some kinda beneficial conclusion.
ritchiebaby likes this post
It's pish IMO,you can win 3 games and lose out to a team who wins 2 games draws 2 and wins the pen shoot outs,only in Scottish fitba can you be punished for winning hahaha,another balls up from Donkeyaster.
ritchiebaby likes this post
Yep! Its a bit like the play off situation - great if u r the winner but not so good if u become a casualty of a system that is geared towards stimulating the interests of fans as much as poss at the tail end of the season- all in the name of entertainment!
People don't go to the league cup games. Adding more games to it, summer or not,with no kind of incentive in terms of euro football ? Dunno if it will work but at least the blazers are trying something i suppose.

The tournament really needs to think about what it wants to be,if it's not going to have a gateway to the europa cup it should be something the u-23s play.
It needs to be scrapped.

It needs to be scrapped.
After we win it this season  Thumb up
Without league reconstruction alongside it can nae see it doing anything tae stimulate interest in Scottish fitba'. And what's this pish that rewards a team for playing oot a 0-0 draw wi' an extra point,over an other team that goes oot tae win and entertain winning 5-0. Sorry Fred, I've just noticed what you wrote on the Hun board,great minds and a'that
It's a dreadful idea only a fool could come up with that enter Donkeyaster
Its not that bad an idea, i'd just rather it was a UK wide tournament for instance.
The bonus point for a shoot-out win is a terrible idea! Imagine teams playing for a dull, boring, park-the-bus 0-0 draw and rely on penalties to win. That'll bring the crowds streaming back. Rolleyes  If there was a bonus point for scoring 3 or more goals, that would be more like it.
Cabbage is still good for you
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »