Thread Rating:
Rangers v Hibs - 23/08/15
Sunday sees the first Championship game of the season between Rangers and Hibs. It takes place at Ibrox at 12.30pm and will be televised on Sky Sports 5, coverage starting at 12.00 noon. Rangers have already shown us what they can do, winning 6-2 at Easter Road in the Petrofac Cup. Hibs are still to show us what they are capable of, with the goals scored/chances made ratio being far too low for a team wanting to feature in the Championship Race. Having said that, this game comes at a perfect time if we want to be taken seriously as genuine challengers.

The new Rangers this season are a totally different proposition to the old Rangers last season. Much has been made of the 21 players jettisoned this summer and the influx of new players, now into double figures, mostly from the English Leagues. It looks as though they're not finished either as they're being linked with an Arsenal youngster on loan to add to their London connections with Spurs loanees Oduwa and Ball, as well as the biggest influences in Rangers marked improvement, Mark Warburton and Davie Weir from Brentford. I'm probably alone in this on the Hibs board, but I've a a lot of time for Warburton. I've followed his success in the English Championship last season where he got a lot of big performances from his unfancied team to take them into the play-offs. For me, the big threats to Hibs will be Tavernier, Waghorn and Oduwa, although anyone in that side has goal-scoring potential.

Anyway, enough about them. Hibs have lost Scott Allan, but he goes with my thanks for an entertaining spell with Hibs and best wishes for his continued progress. It looks as though we'll be well covered in midfield with the introduction of John McGinn and Liam Henderson. The two youngsters will hopefully walk straight into the team for Sunday and become regulars for the whole season. One of our long term injuries, Farid El Alagui, is making a good recovery and will hopefully be back in the next two or three weeks. Keatings and Carmichael? Well, who knows but we do have able deputies in young Martin and Boyle. We still don't have too many options at the back, so I expect the same back 5, although I'd prefer Reguero in goals. I'd like us to adopt a 4-1-3-2 formation, but Stubbs will probably go for a 4-5-1. When we've got the ball, it's all about how we play, not Rangers, so let's give them a few problems and shut up shop when they have the ball. It'll be a really tough test and we must be rank outsiders, but we have to put on a positive display to get something out of the game.

My team:-
Reguero,
Gray, Hanlon, Fontaine, Stevenson,
Bartley,
Fyvie, McGinn, Henderson,
Cummings, Boyle.

Subs - Stanton, Martin, Malonga.
Cabbage is still good for you
The Rangers look a better side at present and have had longer to gel together. They look strong going forward especially with their fullbacks in the play but still feel that at the back, especially the goalkeeper, they are not that secure. With our defense we will concede but hopefully we can ignore the crowd and score ourselves......2:2 draw.   Cool

Hibs struggling to sell the 950 tickets so the effect of what I've just said, an early kick off, being on TV and ( most importantly) poor general treatment at past games by all connected to the hun ( fans, police, stewards etc) has taken its toll.   Dodgy

'mon the Hibs     Thumb up

GGTTH
"FOREVER UNITED"
I'd play this to hit them on the counter. As much as i think they look a decent side going forward and particularly from wide positions, i genuinely think we can get at that defence and goalie with the pace of boyle and cummings. We are going to have to up the intensity and discipline considerably from what i've seen this season so far to stand a chance of getting anything though.

I'd bin the diamond formation and go 4-5-1 and stop their fullbacks having so much influence. The concern has to be our centre backs who do not provide me with a lot of confidence, and stubbs persisting with malonga who the word erratic barely covers. To be fair though we don't have a lot of choice in those areas.

I'd love us to get something here just to ram it up that smug stock exchange tea boy they have bossing them currently. Total dick.

My team is oxley,gray,hanlon,fontaine,stephenson,fyvie,mcginn,henderson,carmichael,boyle,cummings
(21-08-2015, 11:18)hibeejim21 Wrote: I'd play this to hit them on the counter. As much as i think they look a decent side going forward and particularly from wide positions, i genuinely think we can get at that defence and goalie with the pace of boyle and cummings. We are going to have to up the intensity and discipline considerably from what i've seen this season so far to stand a chance of getting anything though.

I'd bin the diamond formation and go 4-5-1 and stop their fullbacks having so much influence. The concern has to be our centre backs who do not provide me with a lot of confidence, and stubbs persisting with malonga who the word erratic barely covers. To be fair though we don't have a lot of choice in those areas.

I'd love us to get something here just to ram it up that smug stock exchange tea boy they have bossing them currently. Total dick.

My team is  oxley,gray,hanlon,fontaine,stephenson,fyvie,mcginn,henderson,carmichael,boyle,cummings
agree wi' all o' this. I think if our forwards get it together we can win what I think will be a high scoring game. 3-4 tae hibs.GGTTH
Not much more to add really everyone has more or less covered what we need to do the one thing I would say sometimes we play to much football and try and walk the all into the net. I like us to shoot every time were within 25 yds of goal their keeper is a bomb scare nothing special as young Stanton proved at Easter Rd

C'mon the cabbage

GGTTH
Good comments re this upcoming Championship confrontation. Hibs have a good recent league record at Ibrox and another duffing up of The Rangers will make it a hat trick of league victories in Govan. Even their play-off win v Hibs at Ibrox was very lucky and unimpressive!! However, there's no doubt they have improved. As previously intimated in another thread, stop their full backs playing and we have a good chance of attaining a positive result against them. We know their game plan and Stubbs should know it too and counter it with a tough defensive mid strategy. I don't like Hanlon in the middle of our defence and hope Reguero is put in goal. I also hope Lewis Stevenson is a bit more solid than in his last game v Gers at ER. The result? Realistically I think we'll be lucky to attain a draw with Malonga and Cummings generally misfiring at the moment and with a defensive set up that I'm none too happy with either. Also who's the referee? - could well be another homer of a ref who will rubber stamp a positive result for the hun again with some questionable, game-changing decision - deja vu eh!!
Good comments re this upcoming Championship confrontation. Hibs have a good recent league record at Ibrox and another duffing up of The Rangers will make it a hat trick of league victories in Govan

Yet you cite Homer refs for giving us wins against you. Confused you are!
Well you had a homer of a ref (and assistant ref) in your play-off match v Hibs, the most important match from Gers point of view - they gave you a decisive offside goal at Ibrox!! Include Gers Petrofac Cup win at Ibrox last season as well - a very helpful ref did a good influential job!! What a short memory indeed and confirms the real confused person as proved in other threads where you have some form of disagreement (from your point of view)! The more important the match. the more likely Rangers will be given some kind of good fortune, compliments of either an influenced ref or a biased one!! You can take that opinion from a veteran supporter who has seen it all at Ibrox (and elsewhere) AND I HAVE SEEN IT ALL DOWN THE YEARS!!! Hopefully we'll get a reasonably strong ref, one of the better ones, but I'm not holding my breath in anticipation.
The match is on Sky so shouldn't be the usual sub standard ref from the lower leagues. I'm all for a strong official especially when it takes away any chance of a conspiracy whinge. Enjoy the trip to Glasgow, i know i will.
What you trying to say 0762??
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »