Thread Rating:
Le Tour de France 2015
That was genuinely one of the most pleasing and exciting stages I've seen in a good while.
Et in Arcadia Ego.

General football writing here
Yeah, you can't not be happy for Tony Martin after that.

[Image: Le+Tour+de+France+2015+Stage+Four+qYk_XZsejzsl.jpg]

Really interesting day - Nibali and Froome look to be in the best shape of the big four, Contador really fell away yesterday (I watched the stage again this morning, and he lost nearly twenty seconds after going WITH Froome with 500m or so to go).

I would say that Froome's Sky team have gone with a line-up to help them through this part of the race - its where they lost it last year - so the likes of Stannard and G (who probably could have won today if he wasn't working for Froome). That said, Contador's Tinkoff team looked similarly stacked, and he's nowhere. Quintana did really well to stay with it today.

Coq Watch Gives me chance to talk about an interesting couple of days for the sprints. Today's intermediate saw Cavendish (11 pts) pip Bryan Coquard (10), with Greipel (9) and Sagan (8) behind. Sagan (22) got third on the stage, pulling him closer to Greipel, who was dropped, and further ahead of Cavendish (5) and Coquard (7).

Meanwhile yesterday's intermediate was claimed by Greipel (20) ahead of Degenkolb (17), Coquard (13), Cavendish (11) and Sagan (9); the intermediates, as last year are pretty important.

Also discovered this cycling/art website today which captures the mood of the stages really well.
Et in Arcadia Ego.

Another good day for Greipel as Etixx haven't quite got it sorted for Cavendish yet. Strange day for my boy Bryan. Obviously had a fairly bad fall early, but got a place (6thish) in both sprints. Another flattish day today. I was out yesterday, and watched most of it on fast forward. The war cemeteries they passed; haunting in their frequency and simplicity. Every few miles, another, another 1000 dead.
Et in Arcadia Ego.

What a strange Tour for Tony Martin. Not much to be added from yesterday, although Froome's bike handling to avoid the crash was impeccable.
Et in Arcadia Ego.

A good night for me - a bit of dog-walking after dinner, back in time for the Tour highlights, Gardeners World and a programme about Spitfire Women, although that turned out differently than I thought. Whistle

Cav is back on track with a fine powerhouse finish, probably helped by Greipel being intent on pushing Sagan wide, leaving a big gap up the inside for Cavendish to storm through. There's not many stage wins left for the sprinters, but plenty of points to be picked up in the intermediate sprints.

Froome is back in the yellow jersey with one of my tips, Tejay van Gareren, not far behind.
Cabbage is still good for you
First Cav has had to do rather than wait and think on this Tour, and got his rewards. Not best pleased, personally, with the Etixx rider who pulled over to the left as Europcar tried to buzz down the outside.

Little bit hilly today, but we'll soon be at a point where I don't fast forward through the whole stage.
Et in Arcadia Ego.

A great finish by a complete unknown (to me anyway) to take today's stage ahead of a visibly annoyed Dan Martin. The main contenders all finished together with the notable exception of Nibali who is slipping back all the time.

Chris Froome looks in total control, he's never far away during the stage and always looks as though he can up the pace at the crucial moment to make sure he stays out of trouble. If he can keep up his current form, he'll be difficult to dislodge. One of the others is going to have to make a big move in the mountains to try to unsettle him. Easier said than done, I suspect.
Marco4 likes this post
Yeah, Froome looks sublime at the moment and obviously feels great, too. Stopping to haul Roche over the line in the TTT is indication of that.

However, he's got a slight advantage going into the mountains and three contenders (four, if you include Van Garderen, five with Uran) who will reasonably attack him every day in some way or another. Don't be surprised to see him put the hammer down Alpe d'Huez style early on.

Going to be a fascinating few days.
Et in Arcadia Ego.

Still haven't seen any of this year's event. Hoping to get to see the highlights tonight. But then we're up against the Open, the Ashes and the Davis Cup at the weekend. Gonna take some doing to watch that lot.  Whistle
Spot on, Marco. He certainly put the hammer down today. Now, who's going to be second?
Marco4 likes this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »