Thread Rating:
Le Tour de France 2015
This is a just a wee reminder to one and all out there to find a way of watching at least some of the TV coverage of this year's Tour. It starts on Saturday 4 July in Utrecht and ends in the now traditional procession in Paris on Sunday 26 July. Personally I can't stand the tradition that decrees the leader will not be challenged on the final stage. It's a race for God's sake. Let it be a race right to the end!

As before the daily TV coverage is on ITV4 and Eurosport. For my part, viewing will mostly be restricted to the nightly highlights show. I certainly won't be posting any previews or reports every day, but I will be posting occasional comments and you are most welcome to do the same. If anyone wants to give daily previews and reviews, then they too will be very welcome (Marco4 was the man for the Tour threads and was something of an expert, but he hasn't been around for some months - sadly missed in my opinion). It's a tremendous spectacle and I love it. Thumb up

For loads of information, including the stages, teams and riders, try http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2015/us/stage-1.html 
Lord Snooty and Amelia Chaffinch like this post
Cabbage is still good for you
Nice one, Ritchie. I tweeted Marco about this the other day and he did say he would come and do this. So fingers crossed that he does.
Afternoon folks. Can't guarantee exactly what I'll be able to get done on a daily basis (its a shame, really - I quite enjoyed the fantasy TdF I did last year) but I've got a few days off during the Tour, and will certainly bob on here throughout that. Ideally, I'll get a mini-review and a mini-preview, but will likely focus on the stages that I think will be most interesting.

I should add that my prolonged absence is something I regret myself - I don't get a lot of spare time with work any more and I've actually earned a little money from some of my writing, so its only fair I focus on that. However, I should pop on here more often than I do (its been months) as its a group of people I was always fond of - the right level of 'banter' and knowledge.
Lord Snooty, ritchiebaby, St Charles Owl like this post
Et in Arcadia Ego.

General football writing here
Stage 1 is a time trial around Utrecht; time trials as opening stages are basically worked in so that there is a definite leader, in my eyes. But (and this is important, don't say you weren't warned) we have time bonuses back this year, so even a regular stage would have brought a single winner.

If you're unfamiliar with time bonuses, a stage winner gets ten seconds, second place six and third place four. Should add a little something, especially as Froome and Nibali have good winning history; Quintana and Contador less so, IMO.

That won't effect Saturday, though. Expect the usual tters to dominate; Tony Martin tends to time his form well for the Tour, and Cancellara is still as good as ever.

I predict Alex Dowsett to get top three; he's been really impressive from what I've seen and something about him reminds me of Boardman when he did it.
Lord Snooty and ritchiebaby like this post
Et in Arcadia Ego.

Cancellara will have a real go at one of the Time Trials and surely the earlier the better. I'll be following Quintana, Bardet, van Garderen and Kwiatkowski more than the rest of the field with Movistar my pick of the teams.
Cabbage is still good for you
(03-07-2015, 21:19)ritchiebaby Wrote: Cancellara will have a real go at one of the Time Trials and surely the earlier the better. I'll be following Quintana, Bardet, van Garderen and Kwiatkowski more than the rest of the field with Movistar my pick of the teams.

Bardet is fabulous.

Not sure how BMC will support Van Garderen, though purely on talent he's a contender.

As ever, I'll be watching for Bryan Coquard. My love affair with him is nothing if not still aflame. Tempted to incorporate a Coq-watch into my stage reviews
Et in Arcadia Ego.

[Image: stage1_map.JPG]

So this is stage 1 around Utrecht.

What have I learnt since yesterday? Vincenzo Nibali won the Italian Championships at the top of Superga, I'll try get a picture of that.

Just looking through for my daily stage bet. You can see how I fritter away 50p per stage.

Jonathan Castroviejo to finish in the top 3.
Et in Arcadia Ego.

Not one for the mountain climbers this one. Saying on the radio this morning that this route reaches a dizzying height of three metres above sea level.
Yup, I considered the stage profile, but if you like this post, it will appear in black.

Underway we are; some tight corners but nothing that should be too taxing. The big names go later (generally after 15:00).

Coq Watch Bryan leaves about 16:05 I think. Don't expect to see him much today.

Coq Watch Not sure what 'The Mountain' is, but I tweeted #GoCoquard to @TDFUtrecht often enough to get him onto it for now.
Et in Arcadia Ego.

Castroviejo currently third. It will not last. So long, 50p.
Et in Arcadia Ego.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »