Thread Rating:
Hibs v St Mirren - Wednesday 27 September
No rest for the Easter Road staff this week as Hibs welcome St Mirren in the Viaplay Cup. Following on from the victory against St Johnstone, Hibs have the chance to complete a Saints double.

After Saturday's win, Nick Montgomery said "I really enjoyed it although we made it hard for ourselves in the second half with the amount of chances we had. The game could have been out of sight. The boys stuck to the game plan. Fans want the ball forward all the time, but that can't always be the case. I was pleased with the composure we showed in the build up. St Johnstone were quite aggressive, pressing high. To play in this team, you need to work very hard and I think you saw a real team performance. I think David Marshall had two saves and one of them was a big save."

More of the same please.

St Mirren have already beaten Motherwell in the previous round and sit 2nd in the Premiership, 2 points behind Celtic, so it won't be an easy game. Although they only beat Hearts 1-0 on Saturday, they had 3 "goals" chalked off, so are a potent attacking force. As they've beaten us at Easter Road just a month or so ago, this game will prove a stern test for Hibs and give a good indication of any improvement under Nick Montgomery.
Cabbage is still good for you
2 factors are maybe coming into play...............

Firstly very poor ticket sales from Hibs fans ( although no doubt everyone and their dog will want one if they win and get to Hampden!).

Secondly, apparently there is a big storm coming in which may well have an influence with very high winds forecast.........however as we know, the weather people are never very accurate . Doh
"FOREVER UNITED"
Just in from a curling meeting to learn that Hibs beat St Mirren 4-2, courtesy of a late double from Martin Boyle. Hibs now play Aberdeen at Hampden in the Semi-final on 4th or 5th November.

[Image: 724b9fbb-0304-4532-89d6-d5f566a94c4a.jpg]
Martin Boyle on Montgomery - “He’s bringing a lot. He’s been quite ruthless with us in training, there have been some long days. It’s a lot of hard work and graft but it’s good. A lot of it is and as you can see in the last few games it’s been working and we’ll just continue to progress. He’s come in and got the fans off their seats, we’re playing good football. He’s telling us to go out there and play the way he wants us to play and if we make mistakes, it’s on him. So that takes the pressure off all of us and the way we’re playing out from the back, we’re creating a lot of chances and scoring a lot of goals at the moment.”

Nick Montgomery on the game - "I thought it was a really good game of football, entertaining. First half I thought we were the better team, we created a lot of half-chances, just lacking that composure in the final third, but they're good on the counter attack. We could have dealt with it better, but from that moment on, we controlled and dominated the game. They had two shots on target and both went in, so that's a good accuracy to have, but all-in-all, we more than deserved to win the game."
That was a great win btw, the game swung back and forth 1st half - st Mirren are not 2nd in the league for nothing - but we stuck to it and overpowered them by the end. Boyle is turning into some finisher.

I'm really enjoying our fitba the now, lots of honest effort , good passing and shape.

I think any of the teams left in the tournament could win it. The huns got their usual leg up in their tie with a scandalous decision to allow their first goal.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »