Thread Rating:
League Cup 2nd round: Hibs v Raith Rovers, Sun 20 August, KO 3.00pm
https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/pr...h-rovers-h

Well here we go again - another match, 2 days after another successful Thursday UEFA CL thriller, and at the moment Hibs have a 100% failure rate so far. Will that poor record change v this level of opposition from the Championship? I honestly have no idea TBF!! This Rovers team, riddled with a good few rejected young Hibs players, will certainly be up for a one-off cup tie like this one. There won't be a prob if Hibs "show up", but that has not been the case in other post Euro matches like this one. Therefore, the solution is for the manager to properly freshen up the team with appropriate changes rather than field many of the same leggy and uncommitted, disinterested players who have failed in previous games like this one. Dylan Levitt will miss out on this game due to a nasty ankle injury picked up in Lucerne. He won't be missed in my humble opinion, based on previous observations. I'd like to see Hibs play a strategy to effectively "blitz" this match early and finish it in the 1st half, see out the rest of the game and then quickly focus/prepare for the Villa Euro tie. Whether that realistically happens is anybody's guess!!!

GGTTH
ritchiebaby likes this post
I'd like to see at least 4 starting changes for this match. Doidge and Obita to start, with Campbell and Le Fondre ready to come on plus Bushiri and Boruc to start.
hibeejim21 and 0762 like this post
Cabbage is still good for you
I think Rocky is unfortunately suspended from this league cup tie ritchie. It's a pity the wing back positions can't be changed/freshened up as well - hardly any adequate cover in these positions unless Hibs youth dev backs used.
Hibs starting line-up - Marshall, Hanlon ©, Youann, Boyle, Jeggo, Le Fondre, Obita, Doidge, Harbottle, Campbell, Megwa

A few players rested and others given a start to hopefully "prove their worth" and maybe finish the game early as suggested in my OP - a lotta pacy players in the team. C'mon Hibs!

Note this OP will be my penultimate one on the Sportsbabble board before I finally sign off altogether. My last OP and associated threads will cover the Aston Villa match on Wednesday night at ER Stadium, a game for which I thankfully managed to purchase match tickets and looking forward to it. I always hoped there would have been more activity and contributions on this Hibs section of the Sb board esp after the long period of trying to keep it going - disappointingly never materialised and very few readers of most of the posts too!
Just back from ER Stadium and the main thing is Hibs have won this cup tie 2-1 and progressed to the quarter-finals. A poor 1st half, Hibs not at their best, with Youann doing the biz again and Vente "bagging" another goal in the 2nd half to finish them off. Well done that man!! The second half was far more entertaining although Hibs losing a goal was very disappointing - I want to see them registering "clean sheets" more regularly, make it a good habit of defending well. Hibs instant reply to the "lift" that the Rovers' fans got from that equalising goal was perfect - Youann too strong and liking his current positive form, Vente ready to take the scoring opp. The Dutchman picked up a nasty facial injury, secs before the FT whistle, after an annoying, needless and reckless high challenge by the Raith CB who couldn't handle the big man during the short period he came on to damage them - an instant red card and deserved!! The guy didn't need to make that kinda challenge at all! I just hope one of our prime assets is OK. Anyway, job done. We await the QF draw.

https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/hi...h-rovers-1

GGTTH
https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/hi...rter-final

Hibs drawn v St Mirren. Celtic surprisingly KO'd on the artificial pitch at Kilmarnock. So a different winner of the league cup will come through this season. It's a home draw and I'm sure most Hibs fans will be happy with that draw.
Sorry to hear you're leaving us, 0762. You've been a boon to this board with your regular match posts and updates on happenings around Easter Road.
I'm sure you'll try to keep it going with your discreet, dynamic contributions anyway ritchie eh!
I'm getting too old for this carry-on now. Too little time and inspiration will be the problem.
Yep! I sincerely empathise with that sentiment. Events and extreme situations elsewhere in the world don't help either, as well as many depressing things happening within the confines of this country - doesn't lift morale or optimism at all!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »