Thread Rating:
Grimsby news
League Two side Grimsby Town have signed Stevenage striker Danny Rose on a two-year deal.

The 29-year-old helped Stevenage to promotion to League One last season.

Stevenage said the move was for "an undisclosed five-figure fee" after Rose scored nine times in 52 appearances in their promotion-winning campaign.

Rose began his career with home town club Barnsley and has also played for Bury, Mansfield and Northampton.

"We like Danny a lot and have for the last couple of seasons now. When you ask defenders who play against him, they say that he is a nightmare to play against," Grimsby manager Paul Hurst said.

"He's not 6ft 5ins but he's very good in the air, he gives us a physical presence at the top end of the pitch.

"He's perhaps not prolific in terms of numbers but, if you look at his career, he has been involved with teams at the right end of the division.

"He's got a lot of know-how, a lot of experience and he can certainly bring a lot to the squad in the dressing room and at the training ground."
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Grimsby have signed Rochdale defender Toby Mullarkey for undisclosed fee

Mullarkey, 27, joined Rochdale in January from Altrincham but could not help Dale avoid relegation to the National League.

Donovan Wilson has become Grimsby's third new signing of the summer.

The 26-year-old striker has signed a two-year deal after leaving Sutton United on a free transfer.

Wilson scored 18 goals in 103 games for the London club in the past two seasons, after joining them from Bath City in 2021.

A Bristol Rovers academy product, he has also played for Wolves and Macclesfield, with loan spells at Port Vale and Exeter.

Wilson's arrival follows that of striker Danny Rose and defender Toby Mullarkey on Thursday.

Mariners manager Paul Hurst said: "I think Donovan gives us something that we haven't had for a little while in terms of his mobility and his pace.

"He's also a good size, he can do a little bit of everything. Having watched him, I think his biggest strength is his energy and pace that will frighten defenders.

"I watched him quite a lot when he was at Wolves, so we're going back a few years admittedly, when he played wider quite often when I saw him. He's changed into being a more central striker since then who can also play as a 10."

Grimsby Town have signed forward Abo Eisa on a one-year deal.

The 27-year-old will join the Mariners on 1 July after being released by League Two rivals Bradford City at the end of the past season.

Eisa was restricted to just 18 league appearances in two seasons with the Bantams because of injury.

"I know the gaffer [Paul Hurst] well, this will be the third time I've signed for him, and I know what I'm getting coming here," he told the club website.

Boss Hurst added: "He's an attacking player who likes to run with the ball, and has the ability to beat defenders and take the team higher up the pitch."

Grimsby Town have re-signed Lincoln City forward Charles Vernam for an undisclosed fee on a three-year deal.

The 26-year-old failed to score in 20 league appearances for the Imps after joining from Bradford last summer.

He previously spent two and a half seasons with the Mariners after joining in January 2018.

"His signing means we've added more pace and someone we have made no secret of trying to sign before," boss Paul Hurst told the club website.

Grimsby Town have signed defender Harvey Rodgers on a three-year contract after he rejected a new deal with Accrington Stanley.

The 26-year-old made 53 appearances for Stanley in all competitions last season as they were relegated to League Two.

He came through the academy at Hull City but never made an appearance for the Tigers.

"He is a good age with some good experience behind him," boss Paul Hurst told the club website.

Grimsby Town have signed striker Rekeil Pyke from League One side Shrewsbury Town on a two-year deal.

Pyke began his career with Huddersfield and had loan spells with Wrexham, Colchester, Port Vale and Rochdale before joining the Shrews in 2020.

The 25-year-old made 42 appearances for Shrewsbury in all competitions last season, scoring three goals.

"The manager seems very ambitious and he said there's a good group here - I want to be a part of it," he said.

Grimsby Town have signed Middlesbrough midfielder Kamil Conteh for an undisclosed fee.

The 20-year-old has agreed a three-year deal with the Mariners, having spent last season on loan at National League side Gateshead, who he helped reach the FA Trophy final at Wembley.

The former Watford youngster did not make a first-team appearance for Boro after joining them a year ago.

"He was on our wish list for some time," said Grimsby boss Paul Hirst.

"He's a good midfield player, he can play off either foot and receives the ball well. He gets around the pitch extremely well and he is a young player that we feel has got so much potential.

"I'm really pleased to have secured his signature and we've fought off quite a lot of competition to get there," he told the club website.

Grimsby Town have signed Sheffield United goalkeeper Jake Eastwood on a two-year deal for an undisclosed fee, while Hull City keeper Harvey Cartwright has re-joined on loan.

Eastwood, 26, played seven games in a previous spell on loan from the Blades in 2020-21 and has played 44 senior matches in total in his career.

Cartwright, 21, spent time at hometown club Grimsby before joining Hull.

The England Under-20 player has made five first-team appearances.

"I think he [Jake] is a keeper that has got loads of potential and, despite being 26, he should realistically have many, many years ahead of him," boss Paul Hurst told the club website.

"I think he has matured, certainly from speaking to him, and I feel that with Steve Croudson's help, advice and mentorship that he can go on to be a really good goalkeeper because he's got all the attributes there. It's just a case of putting it all together.

"On Harvey, we nearly brought him to the club last season but that didn't quite happen. I think our fans will certainly know the name, he was in our academy initially before being sold to Hull City.

"He's a highly thought of keeper and he has been involved with England in the younger age groups and he has had a couple of loans that haven't quite gone to plan."

League Two Grimsby Town have signed former Crewe Alexandra midfielder Callum Ainley on a one-year deal.

The 25-year-old was a free agent after leaving the Railwaymen at the end of last season, having made 242 league appearances for the club.

"He can play in the wide areas or as a number 10 and he's very technically gifted," Mariners boss Paul Hurst told the club website.

Ainley was named on the bench for Grimsby's trip to Bradford on Saturday.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »