Thread Rating:
Celtic v Hibs, Sat 15 October, KO 3.00pm
https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/jo...eltic-test

This could be a good time to play Celtic right after a UCL match/defeat v RB Leipzig. I think we need to "test out legs" if we can and also "battle" and defend our midfield positions in front of Hanlon and Porto. I've no doubt that's where they'll dominate us. They don't have McGregor doing it in this area of the pitch, but they still have players who can do a job in there. Their game v RB Leipzig confirmed that fact and how unlucky they were to lose that match - gotta take the scoring opps, didn't do it!! As usual, my concern is our strikers don't score goals and haven't done it for months. It must surely be a record for the club. I notice Sparky is home again and now a free agent - worth a punt as a fringe player/back up? Boyly provides my main hope of possibly causing an upset. C'mon Hibs!! We're in 3rd place; try to stay there!!

GGTTH
We need to keep our shape defensively and discipline in the middle of the park, try and limit the space.
Quietly confident we can cause them problems, they are usually vulnerable after the european ties.

It's a definite "no thanks" to griffiths btw.
That was xxxx horrific. We got absolutely shredded in the wide areas and too many players ball watching and not closing down.

There has to be a reaction next friday, that was absolutely unacceptable.
A reaction??? I fear the psychological impact on this team!!! May I also add how very concerned I was when I saw the text telling me what Johnson's starting line-up actually was!!! We have a record striking prob where our recognised goal getters have not scored a goal in a long time - AND THIS TOSSER, JOHNSON, FIELDED "TWO UP TOP"???? This is a guy who has no knowledge of the fixture and their huge threat to the score line!! HIS NAIVETY SHOWED "BIG TIME"!!! Celtic were vg today, BUT you don't lose 6-1 if you set up properly and prepare players properly esp knowing the challenge ahead at a ground where Celtic don't lose matches very often and Hibs record there is dreadful!!! I was absolutely seething with Johnson's inadequacy to tackle this fixture properly!! And the c### said he was excited at meeting the SP champions at Celtic Park - I call that "talking a good game", he did f### all to mitigate against the impact on the team!! Thumb down
We set up to have a go and try and impose ourselves. Simple as. We had something like 9 attempts at goal ? Not many sides do that at CP.

The press went all wrong today and LJ admitted that afterwards and held his hand up but also it seems the players didn't do what he wanted either. It left our full backs completely hanging in the wind. But you gotta say there were plenty of individual xxxx ups for the goals today - stevo, marshall, kenneh , hanlon for sure. Doesnae help.

Loads of teams will get a doing there this season, even sevco lost by 4. When it clicks for them they are a good side.

It's been a tough week, but our home form has been decent so far and we are still 3rd.
I repeat I'm greatly worried re the impact of such a hammering on this team. We'll find out soon enough if this group of players can quickly "bounce back" from this pummelling or the exact opposite happens where we sink into a depressing run of failed matches. IMO "having a go" at Celtic Park was unwise with a huge long-term problem re strikers who cannae convert even the easiest of scoring opps (eg the big Ukrainian lad goes 1 on 1 on Tuesday night v the Dundee United goalie after being sent in by a United player, Sibbald - failed miserably instead of "burying" a gift!!!!!!!!). You deploy this kinda strategy if your strikers are scoring fairly regularly!!! I could've predicted 9 x attempts on goal by Hibs with no success - the stats don't lie!! Johnson should've deployed a tight midfield-defensive strategy and try to break quickly using Boyly as the outlet. We were on a "hiding to nothing" playing this kinda game plan with the resources at our disposal!! We were effectively "done" after 18 mins of this match, an absolute disgrace in not realising our limitations when playing the Hoops away from home.
I was fine with the line up, but LJ explained in detail why our press didn't work and we were undone by individual errors. The heaviness of the defeat was down to those individual errors. Marshall throwing one in the net, massive deflections and Kenneh making a complete miskick.

Up to that point we had lost 2 goals in 5 games, that kind of result was not predictable even with an attacking formation.. Yesterday might prove to be a worthwhile exercise, especially if the players learn the importance of supporting the full backs properly - thats whats becoming an issue of late.

We go again.
And one of our forwards actually scored! and really we should have had a couple more.
ritchiebaby likes this post
Johnson at least had the guts to admit his and the team's mistakes and made 4 subs at half-time. It didn't help greatly because after getting back in the game, within a couple of minutes we made another horrendous error and lost any momentum we might have had.

To put it bluntly, we cannot afford to pay the type of manager we need and cannot afford the standard of players we need either. Even if we could, some bigger club would come along and pinch them off us.
Cabbage is still good for you
The two most deflating errors yesterday were Marshall's "slippy soap" mistake at 2-0, a sickener with HT fast approaching, and Kenneh's massive lack of concentration after Hibs got back in the game after Youan's well-taken goal. The timing of these mistakes absolutely killed us!! I'm afraid there were far more negative aspects coming out of this match than positives. And you're right re the poorer standard of player (and manager) Hibs generally acquire - compare with the Hibs team during John McGinn's period of excellence at ER Stadium. We sell and move on vg players (who wanna progress in better footie leagues elsewhere btw) and our standards depreciate again. Hence my call for a wee bit caution at a ground where most Hibs fans know that a potential cuffing is always a threat - many of us have a good knowledge of the fixture. Therefore, work rate and competition for the baw must be seriously high and effective defending of our half of the pitch is paramount in trying to hold a tight result and possibly change it late on to threaten their defence. Fast Eddie would never have played this kinda strategy although I acknowledge he had better players at his disposal; he was a shrewd as well as a great manager of his time. All past history and a different scenario in a new century of footie.
ritchiebaby likes this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »