Thread Rating:
Saint Mirren v Hibs, Sat 27 August, KO 3.00pm
https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/pr...mirren-a-2

Well this is another away match after a second positive last min home draw (v Rangers) and I must say I honestly don't know how Hibs will fare v the Buddies. We've only won one Scot Prem match (a last min victory v St Johnstone) so far and Saint Mirren look like they have finally settled and are registering some decent results. The match is thankfully on a grass pitch and lets hope the guys "show up" to pick up a well earned 3 pts. Of course, that can only happen if somebody "steps up to the plate" to score goals. Boyly will be the likely candidate to "pull the trigger" in front of the Buddies' goal. Any Hibs player will be welcome to do the biz . Lets play well, score goals and the players pick up a well deserved win bonus. C'mon Hibs!

GGTTH
3 points please.

Boyle has to start, possibly Campbell instead of Hendo ? And i'd really like Melkerson to get a shot through the middle but it seems likely he is going to be on the bench.
Today was atrocious. The last minute equalisers are papering over what has been a very ropey start to the season.
Hayes,Campbell,Newell,Doidge.... All of them might as well have stayed on the fricking bus.

High ball after High ball pumped into their box to no avail. I despair.

They do not deserve our supporters.
0762 likes this post
Note we have the same nucleus of a Hibs team as played well over a year ago when we were debating the same problems. Hibs have transferred in about 12 players since the close season and do you notice that it appears Johnson has dismissed a lot of them in favour of certain Hibs players from last season who he'd still rather use - most of these new young recruits are not his chosen players!! I'm picking up a story re Johnson requesting to sign up a number of experienced older players in order to try and balance up/strengthen the 1st team - told its a "no goer" and I'm assuming Ron Gordon is at the heart of that decision and favouring a system that restricts Hibs operations as a Scot Prem footie club. Hibs are in "deep shit" if that anecdote is accurate and it endorses the concerns expressed by many Hibs fans re Ron Gordon and the way he is expecting things to operate at ER Stadium. Re this game today, the result is absolutely no surprise with the same script unfolding - a team without a recognised CF concedes another 1st goal, an early one at that, and then proceeds to dominate possession while scorning every scoring opp coming their way - Doidge: a header past the post, Cadden: past the post, and then past the post again, Youan: a "snip" over the bar, then an amazing miss past the far post should've scored, HOW DID HE MISS IT????? It's a common theme and remember we haven't won a home game either!! In the interim, I think Johnson needs to adjust Hibs formation and strategy to suit a Hibs team that he must accept will not score many goals this season. Hibs had about 68% possession today and effectively picked off on the break with the Buddies' manager professing that was his strategy and aware of Hibs defensive frailties. If Johnson is not given any more proper leverage during this transfer window, I fear we will tumble into the relegation zone - totally self-inflicted due to an inept system of signing up suitable players with an obsession to sign younger players up to a certain age limit. Just look at eg Livingston and the way they have offloaded certain players and yet still managed to set up a normally difficult team to play against. Hibs are clearly a bigger club and not conducting their internal affairs very well at all and the fans powerless to do anything about it!! Note all away tickets were sold out for today's game - IMO these fans totally "sold a pup" by the club with the usual bullshit pre-match coverage re Hibs chances etc etc!! Thumb down Also Bushiri injured, out for weeks apparently!!
Too many players are strolling through games in the full knowledge they wont get punted and are on good contracts. There is about 6 players off the top of my heid that should be goners.

We have never replaced that midfield when Mcginn and Mcgeough moved on. Henderson for instance is technically a good player but he just doesn't have the physical strength for this league. There are signs the defence is going backwards too.

LJ is in an impossible position, whether he is a good coach or not. And the jury is still out on that one anyway.
0762 likes this post
Hendo is a good example of Johnson's predicament (together with Hayes who many Hibs fans would like to see returned to Saint Mirren if it was possible). I reckon this position is one of his concerns where he would like to bring in an older, experienced player, but not allowed to do so. IMO Gordon and the op system he favours in running the club will be endured by Hibs fans/ST holders for a fairly short period and then the "shit will hit the fan" as lotsa them realise they've been short-changed by a "talker" with no serious interest in the traditional aspirations of Hibs as a top Scot prem footie club. Note he is "fronting" a group of business individuals, on behalf of the SPFL and other interested Scot Prem clubs, to explore other avenues of drawing in a larger financial intake from other sources. However, there appears to be no substance to finding a positive end conclusion that would benefit all the interested footie clubs. Meanwhile the Rangers development in acquiring millions of quid from Euro CL group action threatens to suffocate Scot footie even more so than before - the strong duopoly prevails as the "wealth gap" gets even bigger and hardly any Scot Prem club can even beat Rangers or Celtic at all as well as never winning anything for years!! It's a huge concern and last week a certain bbc sports reporter commented it was "good for the game" up here!!! He said it with a straight face as well!! Rolleyes Utter bullshit with certain people in the footie media being rightly accused of suffering from "Stockholm Syndrome"!!! Thank god there are still lots of savvy footie fans in Scotland who recognise the activities of the likes of the Rangers Appreciation Society and people who do indeed suffer from this syndrome. However, we/they are powerless to change it for the better and the overall good of the game up here!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »