Thread Rating:
Premier Sports Cup: Hibs v Morton, Wed 20 July, KO 7.45pm
If the last 4 matches are anything to go on we're in for a long hard season and the possibility of being in a relegation battle. I'm not convinced that Johnson can take us any further forward than we were at the end of last season so we might see more managers come and go again. Of course this is maybe a bad dream and we'll waken up to a team fighting for a top 3 place, one lives in hope.
GGTTH
An absolute shambles on and off the park.

Gordon and his gang haven't a scooby how to run a football club. I really have the fear now. I can see the fans turning very quickly if LJ doesn't get some results early doors.
ritchiebaby likes this post
Compare the period a couple of years ago when Jack Ross was appointed as Hibs new manager. There was a refreshing optimistic view re that appointment from the majority of Hibs fans and that was based on JR's previous experience in progressing from a small Scot footie club to much bigger ones even though many of us feared that Ross would never win a trophy. The appointment of Neil Lennon also drew a lotta optimism at the time of his appointment albeit some concerns re his feisty behaviour. I don't regard Johnson's appointment as anything near to that positive response although Hibs FC and Ron Gordon trying to "sell it" to the fans. Johnson's prep period, from the summer training facilities in Spain to the last PS Cup group match, is already steeped in negativity under his tenure - he/we didn't need that at all!! I wonder what many of the Hibs players make of this cock up!!? I share similar sentiments/concerns re Hibs progress in the months ahead as it appears to me that Johnson also doesn't have enough game-changing players at his disposal in key positions. In other words, it's fine signing up a good number of new players - looks good, but not good enough if the key areas of concern have not been redressed with decent players. There is still time to change that position. However, I have grave doubts that Hibs have the "tools" to do it under this management group. I can see staunch Hibees like Paul Kane and others quickly moving early to organise protests if it deteriorates as feared. I'm also surprised the current Chief Executive, Kensell, is still with the club - I don't rate him at all!!

GGTTH
Forgot to add I didn't like Johnson's decision to give the captain's armband to David Marshall. A lotta Hibs fans would prob disagree with this move, but I would've taken the chance and given the armband to Ryan Porteous - apply a cute element of psychology in giving Porto the responsibility to behave properly like a Hibs captain and sort himself out in the process. He's a staunch Hibee with a Hibs-supporting family and has come through the youth ranks to a point where he could actually be potentially a very good Hibs captain who plays with his "heart on his sleeve". If he f##### it up, then tough and we move on! I'd certainly take the chance to give the captaincy to a central defender, Porto, rather than a goalie.
Porteous has some serious growing up to do before he can be thought of as captain material.
Inverurie Jambo likes this post
I would've placed Broony in a similar vein to Porto, but he became a superb captain against the wishes of many fans who opposed that move. Making such an illogical appointment sometimes pays dividends and this wouldn't be the first time that a footie manager made a radical move like the debatable one I'm suggesting and it was subsequently successful. Of course I know there is a risk attached to it, I acknowledge that fact. I haven't seen a passionate lead Hibs skipper for years and I'd certainly be more inclined to be giving it to a Hibs fan who is now a first team player and loves the club. The "loose baggage"? I don't know the full extent of these allegations anyway. I'm aware of his on field indiscretions and that's what I reckon could be "cleaned up" with that added responsibility on the pitch. Just an opinion though.
Thing is it was obvious to hibs fans from the get go that Broony was going to be a class act. I don't see that with Porteous and frankly he doesn't look interested at the moment, whether thats down to stuff behind the scenes or off the park i don't know......But Brown always gave 100% for hibs.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »