Thread Rating:
Barrow 0 Leyton Orient 2
Barrow: Farman, Warren (Rooney 86'), Ray, Canavan, Kenlock (Brough 64'), Neal, Gotts (Moyo 64'), Foley (White 81'), Gordon, Kay, Whitfield

Subs: White, Rooney, Brough, Lillis, Moyo, Stevens

Orient: Vigouroux, Happe, Sweeney, Brown, Beckles, Moncur, El Mizouni, Pratley (Clay 55'), Kelman (Drinan 67'), Smyth (Sotiriou 73'), Archibald

Subs: Drinan, Ogie, Clay, Wareham, Sargeant, Sotiriou, Obiero

Orient Scorers Smyth, El Mizouni

Although have been on Holker Street for a few games they were all non league games and always involved Lancaster, this however was the first football league game I had seen them in.
So given the International Break, it was off to Cumbria, I can actualy see barrow from a couple of miles down the road it's about 20 miles away across Morecambe Bay however getting there is a bit more long winded it is about 140 mile round trip. Took t5ge coast road at Ulverston got lost a couple of times in Barrow but eventually rocked up about 90 minutes before kick off.
Flashed my QR code to get into the ground, since my last visit about 10 years ago the only change has been a roof over the end nearest the Town. A decent crowd of 4629 with about 250 hardy souls from London who probably won't get home until bout midnight.
Some experience in the Orient side, Pratley, Moncur and Smyth all having played at a higher level, this promiswed to be a tough task for the home side and so it proved.
For the first 20 minutes the home side were excellent, played soe good passing football and unsetted the Orient defence every time they got the ball. The visitors were all over the shop in that period but Barrow in truth didn't test Vigouroux. Once the initial onslaught had ended Orient began to get a grip on the game. They soaked up pressure and looked dangerous on the break, one run from El Mizouni causing problems.
It was against the run of play that the visitors took the lead but like North End last Saturday you knew what was coming. Archibald who was public enemy number 1 got down the left flank, got into the area ball to Smyth simple finish 1 up.
The second half duly bought visitors time wasting but they could have been out of sight but for two good saves from Farman, the home side had run out of ideas against a defence whic won evry thing in the air, not hard since Barrow had a diminutive forward line.
For a brief period of play he home side went close from a corner(pictured)
[Image: C220-E948-3209-49-BF-955-D-102-A1-B4-A4139.jpg]
The second came 15 minutes from time the ball was cleared to El Mizouni about 20 yards out, his low drive beat Farman and sealed victory.
The latter stages got a bit tecthy Archibald and Kay tangled both got booked, they clashed again about 30 seconds later looked to be nothing in it although Archibald led on the ground holding his plums, pretty close to it seemed no contact however Kay got a straight red, harsh in my view.
Orient comfortable saw out the 8 minutes of injury time and remain unbeaten and in truth will take a good tem to beat them. For Barrow, Foley ran his heart out in midfield should have got MOM but it went to Whitfield.
Although a set back think Barrow will be there or there abouts at the end of the season.
One joy of the journey home is the hill near Cartmel were you can freewheel at breakneck spell without your foot on the peddle. Decent game but sometimes you have to acknowledge the better side won
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

In the interests of fairness from the Barrow forum have been asked to indicate that other improvements to the ground since my last visit are a follows:-

New Floodlights, Lazer levelled snooker table of a pitch, New Media/TV gantry above the Pop side Roof, Extra crush barriers everywhere, Scoreboard, New fan zone & indoor out door bar, revamped club house, CTV cameras, Revamped turnstiles etc etc …
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »