Thread Rating:
Hearts v Hibs Semi Final
Surprised there has not been a thread about this game up before now as it is a huge game for both teams, maybe for slightly different reasons. Hearts win, totally ends Hibs season. Hibs win, then scuppers Hearts guaranteed European adventure in the guaranteed group stage games. Should Hearts be confident following last weeks match, yes, however Hibs started the game very well and bossed it for 20-25 minutes, however, the injury to Wright and Neilson’s tactical change totally altered the flow of the game in Hearts favour imo. Thought Maloney got all his substitutions totally wrong. Hibs needed battlers, winners, Hibs to die for type players on the pitch, so how the heck he left Stevenson clicking his heels on the bench is baffling.
Anyway, on to Saturday, for those of you Hibees going I hope you have a totally miserable day but both teams put on a decent spectacle for the viewing audience.
HerefordBull likes this post
I'll put my Scottish football hat on again for a moment IJ.....................what you say is very true about the game being huge. The fact it is an Edinburgh derby makes it so but as you say has extra incentives attached especially for Hibs whose season ends with a loss and sends them into the last 5 games with zero confidence and the anger amongst the fans growing and the calls for SM to go will increase.

Having seen the highlights from Saturdays game after getting back from Fylde, I liked the look of the strength of the Hearts team especially up front where Simms and Boyce pushed the Hibs back line about for most of the game. With Porto returning for Hibs I expect they won't get such an easy ride, however I expect they will be told by Robbie to try and wind him up as much as possible to try and spark a reaction. In contrast the Hibs front line is very lightweight and inexperienced and it is hard to see how they will trouble the defenders and Craig Gordon.

Substitutions will again be important and Maloney has certainly made some odd ones in recent times. I was surprised on Saturday when Wright had to go off and he brought on a totally different player in Campbell.........why he didn't push Doig forward and bring on Stevenson I don't know. In the second half he brings on Jasper and takes Melkerson off where really both needed to be on together. Yet again he bring on James Scott...........nuff said!

Many Hibs fans are expecting defeat on Saturday, with good reason, however what they want to see is some fight from the side and not just to give in as they appeared to do last weekend when Hearts scored their third.

Be interesting to see how many Hibees decide to go to Glasgow to support their team with many claiming they aren't bothering even though they have a ticket. Certainly be well out numbered by JT fans who smell blood.

This shows the disillusionment spreading through the fan base and this has been caused not only by the way the team are playing but in the way the club is run and going about its business from the top down.......too many rookies ?  An American style business model is fine but not at the expense of the team on the park. Also, you cannot just bring in a load of youngsters with the hope they will become something and then sell them on for a profit. You also need to bring in some experienced players who have more strength and knowledge of the game. Gordon will have to learn that the mindset of the American sports fan is not the same of soccer fans in this country. I have been to see all the 4 major sports in the USA and it is all about the day out experience and doesn't always depend on how the team are doing. My NFL side , the New York Jets , have been dire for 2 to 3 years but the fans continue to turn up and buy season tickets ( I am over again to see them in December but expect the Met Life stadium to be full again) .............he will be on a learning curve this Summer when he tries to sell next years Hibs STs if they get beaten on Saturday and have a poor last 5 games.

Not going to a game this weekend so if I can will watch the game on BBC and report back afterwards with my thoughts. 

Hope you and your wife have now recovered from Covid. Thumb up
"FOREVER UNITED"
All recovered and tested negative today thanks. I think you’re spot on with your summation of how the yanks see their business model, which is totally different to how us Scots view it. I think you’ve nailed it that Ron thinks it’s as simple as bringing in young talent and shifting it on for profit, however, that young talent needs to be decent and also, sellable. Not sure that is the case atm. Take Melkerson for example, decent talent but Hibs shelled out upwards of £300000.00 for him and in the SPFL, he kinda looks like a wee lost boy at times. Hopefully he’s still lost on Saturday ??
To be honest, I'm not expecting too much from Hibs, but that's maybe a good thing. A decent performance will be a good start and with the right player in the right place, we might just spring a surprise. For me, Jasper and Melkerson together is a must - if it doesn't work, at least they were given a chance and, like it or not, they are the best chance we have. Maloney has to get his act together quickly and I'm not sure he knows his best team, mainly because of inconsistency.
Cabbage is still good for you
I think IJs point about buying Melkerson for that fee is valid when Hibs were crying out for some experience in that position or at least a big, strong talent like the Hearts guy, Simms from Everton. If Hibs had 2 or 3 other talented strikers then a punt on Melkerson would be OK . OK Hibs have lost Nisbet and Doidge but neither have set the heather on fire this season for various reasons so in January a different type of striker should have been brought in. I think there is a player in Melkerson but needs to be nurtured alongside more experienced players and not have the whole of Hibs expectations on his young shoulders.

Agree Ritchie that Jasper and Melkerson should be on the field together along with Stevenson and even Mcgregor if fit??? The last two get what a derby is about and again add steel to a flimsy Hibs side. There were too many "lost boys" last Saturday. Still they've always got James Scott! Wink

How are the Hearts injuries going.........any likely to start on Saturday? Mackay-Steven would be useful on a wide pitch like Hamdump.
ritchiebaby likes this post
"FOREVER UNITED"
Think MacKay Steven will be on the bench along with the recovered wee shite, Devlin?. See no reason why Neilson should change the starting line up from Saturday.
Canjam likes this post
I see your main man is now more focused on writing about Rangers and Celtic on this forum than he is about his beloved Hibs- priceless
So what's wrong with Devlin IJ?? Big Grin Tongue
"FOREVER UNITED"
(15-04-2022, 10:30)HerefordBull Wrote: So what's wrong with Devlin IJ??  Big Grin  Tongue

Did his hammy four or five weeks ago against Utd at tannadice. Think he’ll be fit but why would Neilson change the team from last week? Plus he’s full of youthful energy and only a tackle away from a card, not worth the risk imo

PS, where is your main man all Hibs, I’ve played at a decent level hiding?
I meant.....why is he a "wee shite" ? Big Grin Big Grin
"FOREVER UNITED"
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »