Thread Rating:
Peter Houston at it again!!
(28-05-2017, 21:20)0762 Wrote: So Hamilton do indeed remain in the top league but that rescinded yellow card on Murray and the denied stonewall pk in the 1st leg becomes highly debatable from a United viewpoint although Hamilton were the better side in this two leg final. IMO change this biased play off set up and the second bottom Scot Premiership team should be relegated and the play off matches should involve Championship 2nd, 3rd and 4th teams (conditional on min points requirement/deficit) and they contest that remaining spot in the top league.

I think you have to give the Champions an automatic promotion spot but you could then play a two leg semi between the 3rd and 4th place teams with the winner playing the 2nd place team for the second promotion spot. But you are right, the bottom two in the Prem should be relegated, there is too much of a money difference for starters to make it as fair as it should be. Interesting to note that the playoffs in England originally had the 3rd bottom prem team go into the playoffs but it was scrapped after a few seasons.
Just make it very simple top two up bottom two down,no complications no extra games for the poor punter to have to shell out for,
HerefordBull and ritchiebaby like this post
But then the 'entertainment factor' is compromised and I don't think the SPFL would wear that idea although that would indeed be fine if applied years ago. At the moment, play off matches of some kinda format are definitely favoured and it adds to the end of season tv/media entertainment.
The SPFL are just following south of the border they couldn't even come with an original name for our leagues and just copied them, as for entertainment if you call one goal in 180 mins of fitba entertainment then fair doos (I'm not dissing your opinion 0762)just don't see the point in play offs especially when it favours the premier team.
Agreed Fred . I still believe that ups and downs should be governed on how well a team does over 30 or 40 games of a season and not to enter a 2 or 3 game lottery at the end of the season where a team finishing 3rd, 4th or 5th can oust the team finishing second by having luck in a play off match. At least in England the teams going down are set in stone, unlike here where they still have a chance to escape!

0762 is right that it is aimed at TV, armchair fan excitement and again is all about the money aspect of the modern game.  Doh

Mind you, it would have meant Falkirk would have been promoted this year , so every cloud Big Grin
ritchiebaby likes this post
"FOREVER UNITED"
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »