Thread Rating:
Celtic v Rosenborg AGAIN!
Next week will be a testy one for Celtic and the 1st challenge is a repeat Euro fixture v Rosenborg, this time in the Europa League. I have a hunch that this is gonna be a draw but lets wait n see. Of course, this fixture precedes a testy match v Killie at Rugby Park on their artificial pitch next Sunday and the Hoops will be targeting a win and a better performance than that last league match v the Buddies.
FT and 1-0 after a tightly fought contest and Sparky delivers in the dying mins after coming off the subs' bench. I reckon this has provided a welcome boost for the Hoops to "push on" now with a positive momentum.
Celtic dominated that game but it looked like they were going to have to settle for just the one point until Griffiths popped up!!! Could be a crucial goal in the whole scheme of things and I am sure there was a huge amount of relief at thee end!!

Certainly more impressive was the Rangers result away at Villarreal, a game I would imagine few really thought they would get anything out of yet they were able to come away with a very good point despite being behind twice!!

Bodes well for Scottish football if both clubs can challenge in the group stages and potentially progress to the knockout stages!!
Villareal played virtually their reserve side SCO, so not sure it was that more impressive a result. Really annoys me when teams don't take european competitions seriously.

Celtic didn't play well tonight but they got the job done. The one time they went direct - voila - goal.

I doubt very much that either side will reach the knockout stages.
(21-09-2018, 01:37)hibeejim21 Wrote: Villareal played virtually their reserve side SCO, so not sure it was that more impressive a result. Really annoys me when teams don't take european competitions seriously.

Celtic didn't play well tonight but they got the job done. The one time they went direct - voila - goal.

I doubt very much that either side will reach the knockout stages.

Well in that case I am glad Rangers got the draw and Villarreal didn't win with their reserve side!!! Like you I get annoyed when teams in this competition don't take it seriously, the one season Man Utd took it seriously they won it, and there are plenty of teams who could put themselves in a position to do that.
Yep! Villareal made 9 x changes and btw were still a far better ream than Rangers with McGregor, their lucky goalie, who should've been the culprit for flogging this match with some awful errors that should've been severely punished! That reserve side that you are condemning for being a weakened line up were very unfortunate to not win this match very well against this fairly poor opposition at this level of Euro footie! Rangers 1st goal was their 1st shot on target against this reserve side! Call it "strength in depth"! Lets get the facts right!
Villareal have only themselves to blame with the chances they missed.
Absolutely no doubt. For starters, McGregor "laid on" two open goals with poor clearances to opposing players - just hit the target and you have an easy goal. Also some of their back post goal opps were astoundingly "missed" with Bacca, the main sinner. That Rangers defence will be "ripped" by a good, pacy, hi-press one-touch/two touch attacking style. That moment will come at some point fairly soon when quality will surpass anything Rangers can offer!
Still makes it a good away draw for Rangers, they can only play what is in front of them and most would have had them down for a defeat either way. Gives them something to build on and if they can get wins at home then they will have a chance of qualifying from a group they are not expected to get through.
I predicted Rangers would likely not win a single match in this group and I'll stick by that prediction after watching the match between Rapid Vienna and Spartak Moscow. I'm amazed that more opposing teams have not focused on and exposed Tavernier's weak defensive position on the right side of their defence. I'm sure that will change as certain footie club managers get a proper view of this Gers' side and suss that they are not as good as many people up here seem to think! Improved? Yes! But nowhere near anything special! Indeed I'd compare them with a lower English Championship level to upper English League 1.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »