Thread Rating:
Bertie Auld
Sad to hear about him battling Dementia. Everyone at hibs wishes him all the best.

An absolutely legendary character, when he comes in the room the whole place just lights up. From that era of Scottish managers that smoked cigars and wore car coats and bunnets. Laugh Those were the days !!

And someone from hibsnet remembered this classic :

‘Friendly’ versus Middlesbrough at Easter Road

Nobby Stiles came rushing in on Bertie with an over the ball challenge Bertie anticipated it but fell badly on his shoulder on the bone hard surface

Tam McNiven diagnosed a broken collar bone and he would have to come off

“ Give me five minutes” says the bold Bertie

Five minutes later Stiles is getting carried off on a stretcher

“ Ref! Sub!”

Laugh Laugh Laugh
Lord Snooty, ritchiebaby, 0762 And 1 others like this post
Aye sad news Jim.

Great favourite of my father in law who was an avid Birmingham City fan and watched him many times in the 60's before his return to Glasgow.

Thoughts are with him and his friends and family.
0762 and hibeejim21 like this post
"FOREVER UNITED"
Great guy and not a bad player?. So sad to hear of yet another great Scottish player suffering. Thinking of you wee man
hibeejim21 and HerefordBull like this post
Sadly passed away.

Great player, hard as nails and a real character away from the game. Guided Hibs to the first division title back in 1980/81 and of course won the European cup with celtic.

Loved his line about the gorbals when he was a boy being the "university of adversity".

RIP
ritchiebaby likes this post
RIP, Bertie. He didn't suffer fools gladly on or off the pitch.
Cabbage is still good for you
Sad day indeed. In addition to what you said Jim, he was a great favourite of my father in law who supported Birmingham City all his life and Bertie was a great servant to the Blues in the early 60's.

Thoughts are with family and friends.

RIP Bertie.
"FOREVER UNITED"
So sorry when I heard the news of his death. A great character and without any doubt, a true legend.
RIP Bertie.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »