Sports Babble - sports forum
Ref and Linesman Yesterday - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Football (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: English Football Leagues (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: National League (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=193)
+----- Forum: Chesterfield (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=85)
+----- Thread: Ref and Linesman Yesterday (/showthread.php?tid=981)

Ref and Linesman Yesterday - bluepooch - 14-12-2014

Both were incompetent to say the least ,I'm not so much talking about Sams dismissal ,he did raise his hand but the guy made a meal of it, but by the letter of the law it was a sending off offence.What angered me most was the blatant handball which led to their goal in which just about the whole of the ground saw except the ref and East stand Lino who were about 15 yards away .The guy basically controlled it with his thigh and arm and in one movement enabled him to turn and shoot,If the ball hadnt hit his arm it would have probably run away from him.
Bradford were quite cynical and physical team who will unfortunately do well in this League and it was hard enough trying to beat them without the added problem of crap ref and Lino. Referees decisions are so important in tight games and unfortunately we were on the wrong end this time .Lets hope we get a fairer decision on Monday.
Pooch .

RE: Ref and Linesman Yesterday - Devongone - 14-12-2014

I don't really think that Monday will lift the gloom.

On paper Bradford look a strong side. This is a tough division. strugglers Yeovil, who wouldn't have been one of my relegation picks, got a 0-4 which I don't think was dad's Christmas present at Oldham. We could easily be in the bottom four and still be a decent team .........

Teams do try to stop us playing, and it works. Plan B doesn't really exist.

Like any football fan I don't always agree with our selection policy. It surprises me that Gardner and Boco so rarely get a run. Boco was only on the field ten minutes yesterday and hit the post. Roberts is really good, but I wouldn't play him every game and I'd make sure he knew I was trying to keep him as sharp as possible. Equally Banks wouldn't be out on loan being pulled off after 55 minutes (which was probably quite enjoyable). But Cookie is still a good manager.

Morsy let his team and the fans down by giving the linesman and ref the chance to influence the game.

Refs and linesmen make mistakes and influence games accidentally. And some are pretty poor, but they are honest. Some clubs like Ferguson's Man Utd and Mourinho's Chelsea very deliberately try to influence these decent men and women by both their reputation and a willingness to push arguments and demands for penalties and sendings-off etc. to the very edge. I've never understood why some manager of a small club doesn't adopt the opposite strategy - not committing fouls, never arguing, always being polite to the officials, apologising if you arrive a bit late for the ball, never cheating, not collecting bookings, sendings-off and suspensions. At first you'd suspect you were losing out to the bully boys - but quite soon you might begin to profit. Just as you can tell refs are looking out for known dirty players and divers they'd pretty quickly be off the case of a club famous for doing the very opposite.

Refs and linesmen are part of the data. If you don't adopt a consistent strategy towards officials you're agreeing that they provide a random element in the game. Ferguson's teams were universally aggressive towards officials, because he was a control freak ....... and didn't it work for him?

One last word - real hard men in football don't commit many fouls and don't tend to get sent off. It's only when you are the pretend-version you need to mouth off, swing your arms or your handbag. A tough centre forward takes the stick, never moans and smiles at the centre back when he scores.

RE: Ref and Linesman Yesterday - Dancingwilldoit - 14-12-2014

Bradford were cynical with it yesterday. players were going down clutching there faces at every available opportunity with no bookings. A blatant dive in the pen area didn't even get a word in the ear although the ref waved play on?
I know its a difficult job but at least they could be consistent, A 2 footed challenge from one of their players didn't get punished but Morsy who barely made contact gets sent off. The scrap in front of the dugout resulted in nothing but even though the lino flagged for free kick to us was overruled by the ref who gave a drop ball? The officials yesterday really were piss poor and I hope I never see them at the Proact again.

RE: Ref and Linesman Yesterday - Devongone - 14-12-2014

I'm sure you are right about the officials. The thing is they officiate the whole game, for both teams. If Bradford City gain an advantage the officials are either dishonest (which I don't believe), or we are missing a trick. You can be a team of fakers, a team of Roy Keane's yelling in the ref's face ....... or you can go out without a strategy as we do. I'd try being the good guys. Most refs (most men) become protective of innocent victims. If only Morsy just made his tackles and kept his arms to himself ........ Yesterday's was a game of very few fouls, but look how many players fell foul of the ref - what were there 13 fouls in the game? Sendings-off and bookings? You're right the count is ridiculous .... but we do know that is how it is likely to be.