Sports Babble - sports forum
Two Players - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Football (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: English Football Leagues (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: National League (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=193)
+----- Forum: Chesterfield (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=85)
+----- Thread: Two Players (/showthread.php?tid=8586)

Pages: 1 2

Two Players - Devongone - 12-06-2019

John Sheridan has revealed that offers have been made for two players as he continues his quest to strengthen the squad.

In an interview with Spireites Digital, Sheridan said: "I've spoken to players and made offers for two players, but it's still very early days.

"Everyone would like to get their house in order as quickly as they can but most players are still under contract until June 30th. I've got a strong belief that we'll get the right kind of players to make us a better team."

Sheri is at least alive. And he says he sees Liam Mandeville as a new Danny Whitaker ....... which means he's going to be playing behind a front two? Isn't Charlie Carter similar? Isn't Joe Rowley similar too? Two up top, three attack minded, advanced midfielders ....... that would leave a lot of competition for defensive midfield ..... Smith, Wedgbury, Weir (ptaah!!), Maguire ........ Isn't a goalkeeper pretty near the top of our priorities?

And what do we mean by offers? Surely we mean contracts for out of contract players and not transfer offers?

RE: Two Players - Dancingwilldoit - 13-06-2019

According to Ye Olde Derbyshire Thymes, one of the offers could have been to Dan Gardener, who has said he would rather stay in the FL but didnt rule a move out to "a well run club". However that would give us yet another attacking midfielder as well as one with a mental impediment so I just dont see it.
Our really weak point last season was defensive midfield. When Sheridan stuck Maguire in front of a more mobile back 3/4 he struck gold IMO, suddenly Weir who had been poor previously, looked like a player. He was more mobile and harried further upfield which meant when he lost the ball or gave a bad pass it wasn't as critical as playing just in front of a static back 4.
I only saw Wedgbury pre season at Alfreton and he looked ok'ish. More of an in your face hassle type player rather than a tackler.
Smith seemed to get worse when Sheridan came in, similar player to Weir but with more legs.
Not sure where Weston fits in now.
Do we need a waged keeper in reserve? For the number of times a keeper gets injured, why not give the new development squad keeper a shot? Jalal is a good enough keeper. If its critical, a loanee can be brought in anytime in the National League. But then of course there's always the almighty Evans. For me its a waste of a wage to have a reserve keeper on the bench week after week.

RE: Two Players - Devongone - 13-06-2019

Jalal always has been a piss-ordinary keeper. If we got promoted, like Macclesfield we'd have to ditch him, so why not bring in a young keeper now? Get a top keeper and you get a top defence IMO. Everybody raves about the impact of Virgil Van Dyke at Liverpool but they didn't have a reliable defence until they got Becker Allisson. To be honest I don't believe there is such a thing as a good enough keeper - I think any team at any level should get the best keeper they can. This seems especially relevant when the only keeper we have is OLD and is obviously struggling for fitness on occasions.

Personally I don't see the point in enabling a player like Weir who has averaged 2 goals a season through a long career to push further forward. He'll be taking the place of someone in the team who has far more ability both to score and make goals. I don't want Dan Gardner any more than he seems to want us, but I'd rather have him than Weir.

RE: Two Players - Dancingwilldoit - 19-06-2019

Radio Sheffield last night informed us that we are about to sign somebody who returns from holiday later in the week. Cue drumroll and fanfare ....................

Rumour is its Ruben Reid. I dont know where he has gone for his holidays but I have private investigators staked out at every UK airport to see who flies back in the next 48 hours.

RE: Two Players - Devongone - 19-06-2019

Three years ago I'd have loved Reuben Reid. He's played all over the West Country and scored goals ....... but he is absolutely the wrong kind of player NOW.

He's 31. He's on his way down. My fear is that he'll be a Sylvan Ebanks-Blake who has found he can no longer do what he used to do. And we'll probably waste a good wage on him. Bob's were burbling about him a couple of days ago when I took a brief look. Typically they thought there might be goals in a Reid / Boden partnership. There might but I'd be after a younger model - Tshimanga from Oxford City perhaps or Glen Taylor from Spennymoor if he'd go full-time.

The other signing I'd make without hesitation is Nassim L'Ghoul Welling's winger. He's 21, made the team of the year for National South last season. He's French, started out in the Nike Academy. Surely we need someone to go wide more than an older man to push Amantchi and Rawson further away from pitch time .......? What do you think?

RE: Two Players - spireitematt - 19-06-2019

(19-06-2019, 12:48)Devongone Wrote: Three years ago I'd have loved Reuben Reid. He's played all over the West Country and scored goals ....... but he is absolutely the wrong kind of player NOW.

He's 31. He's on his way down. My fear is that he'll be a Sylvan Ebanks-Blake who has found he can no longer do what he used to do. And we'll probably waste a good wage on him. Bob's were burbling about him a couple of days ago when I took a brief look. Typically they thought there might be goals in a Reid / Boden partnership. There might but I'd be after a younger model - Tshimanga from Oxford City perhaps or Glen Taylor from Spennymoor if he'd go full-time.

The other signing I'd make without hesitation is Nassim L'Ghoul Welling's winger. He's 21, made the team of the year for  National South last season. He's French, started out in the Nike Academy. Surely we need someone to go wide more than an older man to push Amantchi and Rawson further away from pitch time .......? What do you think?

Play Levi in the first team and give him a chance. I reckon he could adapt well in the National League.

RE: Two Players - SaltergateBorn - 19-06-2019

I`m inclined to agree with you, Matt. I saw young Levi play a few games last season and from what I could see he`s about as ready for first-team football at our level as he ever will be – assuming he`s played in the right position with the right support. If he`s asked to play as a lone front-man, which he was a couple of times, he`s going to struggle because that`s just not his game.

I didn`t see enough of Luke Rawson to pass judgement but the same principle applies, I`d have thought. I agree 100% with the idea of a development squad, but surely there comes a point with any youngster where the only way you`re going to develop them any further is by giving them experience of ‘men`s football’, as MA used to call it. (He may have got a hell of a lot wrong during his time with us and talked a load of hollocks at times, but I do think he was right on that one.)

I don`t have your encyclopaedic knowledge of lower-league and non-league players, Dev, but I do know that Reid is a goalscorer with a proven track-record. I don`t know that he`s quite got to the Ebanks-Blake stage yet (he`s only 30ish, isn`t he?) but I certainly have reservations about bringing in a player at that stage of his career to put him ahead of Amantchi in the pecking order. Unless, of course, JS has no confidence in said Levi; but from what I saw of him, I`d be amazed if that`s the case. If it is, however, what`s the pont in keeping him? We may as well ship him on now and get him off the payroll. (But if that`s the philosophy and we`re going to give our own youngsters so little opportunity, what`s the point in a development squad?)

All questions to which I have no answers whatsoever, I`m afraid. Like everyone else, I`m just gonna have to wait and see what happens over the next few weeks and hope that the club management know what they`re about.

RE: Two Players - Dancingwilldoit - 20-06-2019

Luke Coddington and David Buchanan in. Dev you should be happy with Coddington.

RE: Two Players - themaclad - 20-06-2019

Buchanan will do a more than decent job at left back.

RE: Two Players - Devongone - 21-06-2019

Well we needed a keeper, but other than age group international caps he hasn't really shown he has what it takes to play a dominant role in a successful defence.